Component life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
Anyone got any experience of how long transmission components should last? yes I know it's a bit if a 'how long is a piece of string?' question as the answer is going to depend on how much maintenance and the amount of abuse, but I want to plan ahead a little.

Brains

Legendary Member
500 miles per pair of brake pads
1,000 miles for a chain
2,000 miles for tyres (loaded rear)
3,000 miles for rear cassette
5,000 miles for the cables
6,000 miles for front chain ring (middle)
10,000 miles for the derailer wheels and Bottom bracket
15,000 miles for a pair of wheels (rims wear out before hubs)

At least that is my experience on a Touring bike that also may do more commuting miles than touring miles.

Things like brake pads can go in as little as 200 miles if it's hilly and wet, and chains can go on for a lot longer if it's flat, dry and not dusty (and are cleaned regularily)

Tyres milage is vary variable as depends on many external forces including weight of the loaded bike, you need to keep an eye on the rear one, as it can go from good to slick over a day or two when doing loaded touring

Armegatron

I havent toured (yet) but my commuting miles (thru winter) have racked up the following maintainance schedule:

@1000 miles my front hub needed to be greased up as it was notchy.
@1500 miles my original Scott tyres that came with the bike were thinning out, and starting to suffer from frequent punctures - replaced them with Schwalbe M+.
@1500 miles, there are
@1,800 miles the derailuer cables required changing - this was because the front was gunked up and seized probably due to me not lubing / cleaning correctly.
@2,000 miles the brake disc pads have plenty of life, but I replaced the rear as I was trying to elimate squeel.
@2,000 miles the chain and casette needed replaceing, but the bike was still shifting ok-ish and comfortable to ride.

26" Wheel Tourer

5000 km per pair of brake pads - (Magura HS33) can be much less in bad conditions
6000 km for a chain - minimal maintenance
Average 5000km (M+=10000+km) for tyres (loaded rear)
18000 km for rear cassette
20000+ km for front chain ring (middle)
20000 km XTBottom bracket
16000 km for a pair of "touring" wheels (rims wear out before hubs) - depends how many alps
40000+ km Headset (Chris King)
Racks Aluminium 2 years Rack Steel 11+ years

sorry about km but it is what I work in

It is definetly a bit of a truism that you get what you pay for - my first touring bike was adequtely equipped LXish - chains cassettes did not last as long as the Xt stuff which I use now -

Davidc

Guru
I think Brains is a pessimist. My experience over the past 10 years or so has been a bit better. Pinching Brains' list:

750 to 1500 miles per pair of front brake pads
2000 to 3000 miles per pair of rear brake pads
1,000 to 2000 miles for a chain
2,000 to 4000 miles for tyres (rear ones go first and sometimes suddenly)
5,000 - 6000 miles for rear cassette (provided chain is replaced well before it's worn out)
10,000 miles for the cables
5,000 to 6000 miles for chainset (I always replace it, including cranks, when the cassette is replaced)
I had one traditional bottom bracket last over 80,000 miles with a new set of ball bearings at about 60,000. One sealed cassette one lasted under 4000. Wouldn't like to call them.
The jockey wheels on the derailleur tension arm vary hugely between 3000 miles after 2 bad winters and about 10,000 miles
5,000 miles for rims
At least 20,000 miles for hubs

I am fairly light on components now, and have been for at least 10 years. When younger I could go through them faster. I stressed them more by riding harder, but it's hard to call because some things were tougher, some were less durable.

Life of parts depends on how you ride, where you ride, weather conditions, and luck, so there's no definitive answer.

Top Bottom