Compulsory cycle helmets - what's the proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Anyone who thinks that cycling with a helmet will make them safer is already at perfect liberty to buy and wear one. I can't see how making them compulsory for people who presently choose not to use them will change that

tyred

Legendary Member
There are many, many rules applying to the use of the roads. I don't see them being enforced very often. What's the point of adding yet another rule which probably won't be enforced most of the time and, even if it was enforced, is unlikely to make much difference in the great scheme of things?

tyred

Legendary Member
Perhaps making cycle helmets compulsory will make people feel safer about taking up cycling?

Just spotted this line. Seems a silly thing to say as nobody is preventing anyone else from wearing a helmet if they want to. :wacko:

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
it would be a psychological thing for some people, if it were compulsory, that they would naturally feel safer going out on a bike, then it being optional now - perhaps

Woz!

I wear one purely for my commute and then only because I don't want it to be used against me in court if I get knocked off.

I don't like them, don't like the way it makes me feel 'safe' on a bike and don't like the way it makes cycling appear to be a dangerous sport up there with rock climbing and ice hocky!

It would also put my kids of riding up and down our very quiet road. My son rides a BMX and actually chooses to wear a helmet when doing ramp stuff, but in general I'd never insist he wears it when riding for leisure - it would put him off!

I'd resist compulsory helmet laws VERY strongly.
Mind you - the number of BMX riders that go brakeless is mental and I've never seen a single one of them stopped. This is already illegal so what chance does a helmet law have?

Dan B

Disengaged member
As a matter of curiosity, how many brakeless bmx riders actually go fast enough that they can't stop by putting their feet on the floor?

schlafsack

As a matter of curiosity, how many brakeless bmx riders actually go fast enough that they can't stop by putting their feet on the floor?

They can't put their feet on the floor, their trousers would fall down.

Mad at urage

I wear one purely for my commute and then only because I don't want it to be used against me in court if I get knocked off.

I don't like them, don't like the way it makes me feel 'safe' on a bike and don't like the way it makes cycling appear to be a dangerous sport up there with rock climbing and ice hocky!

It would also put my kids of riding up and down our very quiet road. My son rides a BMX and actually chooses to wear a helmet when doing ramp stuff, but in general I'd never insist he wears it when riding for leisure - it would put him off!

I'd resist compulsory helmet laws VERY strongly.
Mind you - the number of BMX riders that go brakeless is mental and I've never seen a single one of them stopped. This is already illegal so what chance does a helmet law have?
This.
OTOH they are a great place to conceal and stabilise a small camera, also a great framework for mounting lights on my head!

Of course all that unpadded plastic and weight probably negates the (laughable) standards the helmets are tested to ...

markharry66

Über Member
If I had to wear a helmet I would give up cycling it alway amazes me how people make judgements on topics they have no first had experience must be a slow news week or something

Norm

This.
OTOH they are a great place to conceal and stabilise a small camera, also a great framework for mounting lights on my head!

Of course all that unpadded plastic and weight probably negates the (laughable) standards the helmets are tested to ...
I'd be more worried about those things creating impact points and snag points which not only negates any possible benefits but is equivalent to adding spikes to your skull.

My lights and camera are mounted on a stretchy head band which is secured with velcro and sits under and within the profile of the helmet.

Jezston

Über Member
Does anyone have any figures for how much energy a helmet can absorb and how much a human skull can absorb?

I seem to recall that it's 100 Joules for a typical helmet and 700 for the human skull. I can't recall where I heard those figures so they may have been pulled out of someones bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom