Compulsory cycle helmets - what's the proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've quite liked all the BBC coverage the last couple of days, I think it's been pretty good by the media's standards.

Manonabike

Über Member
I'LL be glad when they make in law and then we wouldn't have to put up with these silly helmet threads :whistle:

+1

I really get annoyed by these people that keep telling us not to wear helmets..... that is my f..king choice.

Yorkie Martin

I enjoy a "naked" head on road and wear a "shell" while off road.

No real science behind my choice, and can only see me changing my habit if presented with some evidence that in "practical" scenarios I would be more protected.

As a Scout leader, I do have to wear a helmet for all cycle activities through Scouts, which I don't object to, but do feel that some of the "education" (brain washing) the young people are taught (school, TV, media), gives them a false confidence that they are safe because they are wearing a helmet.

As several have said above, if you want to wear a helmet, then wear one. If you choose not to wear one then don't, but whatever you do, respect others choice.

Would suggest that getting the law on the use of cycle lights enforced needs enforcing before we add more laws for the Police to deal with??

As a Scout leader, I do have to wear a helmet for all cycle activities through Scouts, which I don't object to, but do feel that some of the "education" (brain washing) the young people are taught (school, TV, media), gives them a false confidence that they are safe because they are wearing a helmet.

I stopped cycling activities with the Scouts as I will not exclude boys form the activities on these grounds.

Davidc

Guru
I wear one much of the time but would hate to see compulsion.

Certainly until there's good solid evidence that helmets don't cause rotation deaths and injuries they shouldn't be made compulsory.

Bornagaincyclist

I think that reflective vests are a much better idea than helmets, but I would not want these to be made compulsory, any more than helmets.
They could re-run the 'public information films' Think Bike' campaign rather than this sort of rubbish. Some people might take notice of that!

Regards Gordon

blubb

Well in order to promote cycling, restrictions just like vests, helmets or further protection will keep people off.

I personally grew up in a cycle friendly city in germany, not with the standard of copenhagen, but we had a large number of people using their bicycle while wearing normal clothes(Dresses, suits, etc). Cycling isn't dangerous at all, but statistically accidents will happen.

People will hit their head in the kitchen, in the car and some on the bike. The funny thing however is when you injure your head at home or in the car it is called an accident, however if you do so on the bike you get called a moron for not wearing a helmet.

In the end it is my freedom to choose what is best for me and it find it appaling that insurance companies or other people feel the need to force their belief onto me.

- just my 2cents, since we have that problem annually here too

shunter

There was a full debate on compulsory cycle helmet legislation in the Northern Ireland Assembly this week. A fine of £50 to be introduced. The full text of the debate - interesting reading - can be found at http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/record/reports2010/110131.htm#j

The legislation was passed by 2 votes to the second stage.

JoysOfSight

I can't recommend highly enough reading the helmet appendix of the above report (if not the whole report).

It depresses me almost beyond words that the evidence arising from helmet compulsion in other countries is not even rebutted by campaign groups, the DfT, NHS etc (or even my fellow cyclists) - just ignored.

With the Channel Islands already and now Northern Ireland, it looks like the end of the line for all the good work that's been done to try and create an environment where it's normal to ride a bike. Perhaps we're just getting what we deserve though?

(any reply which ignores the hard data from readily googleable population studies will make me cry.)

Woz!

I REALLY hope the UK shows some sense and realises that people should take personal responsibility!
No-one is talking about banning helmets - everyone has the CHOICE to use one if they choose and they have now become normalised to people don't get the 'p' taken out of them for wearing them.
Just leave it at that.

We don't want to get as maniacally legislative as the US - have a look at this mental bit of nannying:
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2011/01/29/2011-01-29_crossing_guard_carl.html

They're talking about banning phones and ipods for pedestrians!

Jezston

Über Member
There was a full debate on compulsory cycle helmet legislation in the Northern Ireland Assembly this week. A fine of £50 to be introduced. The full text of the debate - interesting reading - can be found at http://www.niassembl...10/110131.htm#j

The legislation was passed by 2 votes to the second stage.

Is there anyone we can contact to campaign agaist this ridiculousness? If it's gets through in NI then it's another step for such daft laws to be implemented across the UK.

Woz!

+1

I really get annoyed by these people that keep telling us not to wear helmets..... that is my f..king choice.

Just curious, but who has ever told you not to wear a helmet?

All the discussion I've ever seen or heard has been against compulsion to wear a helmet.
There are mixed views as to their benefit in personal injury but I've never see a single post saying that you should be barred from wearing one.

Edit: snap! I just type slower ;)

TrevorM

Is there anyone we can contact to campaign agaist this ridiculousness? If it's gets through in NI then it's another step for such daft laws to be implemented across the UK.

CTC and Sustrans have been campaigning on this and have met with Assembly members. The text of the CTC submission is here.
Sadly there was no specific mention of this in the debate other than general 'some cycling organisations are opposed to compulsion' comments.

My (optimistic view) on the next stages is this:
The proposal was brought by an SDLP member and although the debate was poorly attended he had brought a quite a few SDLP colleagues along.
The DUP and Sinn Fein members, the minister responsible for implementing it, and the chairman of the committee were all opposed. But they only had a few party colleagues along. So either:
The minister and/or committee chairman will block it at committee stage (if they can) or
If it goes to full vote, because DUP and Sinn Fein are the largest parties, they will bring their friends this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom