Compulsory lid legislation?

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Drago, 24 Nov 2017.

1. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Changes to car design in the 1950's wouldn't account for much difference. No such thing as crumple zones back then.
    The things you can probably attribute most to safety improvements are the ones that don't get mentioned. For a start, more and more drivers would have had to actually pass a driving test to obtain a licence, rather than just pay their few shillings fee with no test.
    Then you've got improvements to road surfaces, barriers to stop vehicles crashing down hillsides, better street lighting etc. Statistically minor rural roads are the most dangerous, so it makes perfect sense that as more higher quality roads, dual carriageways, then motorways were built, the accident rate per mile travelled would start to decline.
    We have now pretty much got down to the level at which safety and accident rates are not going to get any better. From now on, expect the figures to more or less just bump along from year to year at a fairly constant level with a bit of apparently random variation.

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Moderator

There's no reason to be nasty to children.
    Equally, there's no reason to accept thier opinion as authoritative fact.

3. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

To be clear; I'm annoyed by the shoddy excuse for journalism from the BBC and not the kid who's had a very nasty experience.

theclaud and TheDoctor like this.
  4. Roadside breathalyzers and a legal alcohol limit were introduced in 1967, which made a difference. Also 3 point seat belts gradually became cumpolsory from 1968 onwards, first for drivers seats and then passengers.

5. I don't know about the UK, but that would certainly apply here. Cycle training is little more then "Know street signs, wear a helmet, and of course keep out of the way of Very Important Drivers."

theclaud likes this.
  6. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

No it's not.

7. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Bottom line is the girl was going too fast for the conditions. No different to a car being driven downhill too fast, fails to stop in time, and crashes through a set of traffic lights. Bad judgement - operator error.
    As far as compulsory helmets go, no. Helmet wearing compulsion = Nanny State interference. There's enough do-gooders trying to tell us what food to eat, how much alcohol to drink etc. We don't need yet more of this crap from the political classes. Do I think wearing a helmet is generally sensible in traffic? Yes, but it should be personal choice. Do I think a helmet is needed for a slow speed ride in the woods or on a quiet cycle path? No, not really.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  8. Sorry, typo there. I should have written "Cycle training locally" ie. in Germany where we live is little more than this. I've had three children do cycle training here and the message didn't vary.

I can't comment on the UK as I've not lived there in 17 years.

9. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

Not surprised, when we've been touring in Germany the cycle path network is great but any time you use the road there's a distinct 'we have cycle routes, roads are for cars, get out of my way attitude'.
    I'll admit to a bias as I work as a national standards instructor, but current UK training is pretty good IMO (pity about the funding cuts though).

10. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

And ironically, in the picture of the girl fronting the beeb website piece, her helmet isn't even fitted correctly.

11. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

Just an observation and not research but it seems to me that the anti helmet thing seem to be an obsession of the white middle aged, middle class male road cyclists. Outside this group I find the attitude to helmet wearing to vastly different. The working class commuters who don't wear one mostly would if became mandatory in the same way they did after mandatory seat belts etc. The active MTBers wear one as it's deemed an sensible thing to do when riding techy trails and its use other places is normalised.

david k likes this.
  12. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I'm one who would wear a lid if it became compulsory just to keep riding, I've been riding lidless for almost fifty years now and at the moment have no plans to change.

13. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Lots of us would on here because we are a subset of people who really like cycling.
    It's people like my son who rides an old bike between his house and uni mainly because he is usually running late and it's quicker than walking. If he owned a helmet, he would have left it somewhere within weeks and would probably decide it was less hassle to run there instead.

classic33 likes this.
  14. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

A road a child does not feel safe cycling to school on, a junction with poor visibility lines. A junction where motorists pull out having seen a child come off their bike. If they want to campaign on a few things I would look at those for starters.

15. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Your son sounds very much like mine, he moved away from home a while ago, lives in a bedsit and works as a factory cleaner, he commutes by bike because its convenient but he's not an enthusiast, though he does were a lid. I recon people like our sons are at a higher risk than old farts like me, being retired I'm not commuting anymore and only do a couple of rides a week out in the countryside.

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice