Compulsory lid legislation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just an observation and not research but it seems to me that the anti helmet thing seem to be an obsession of the white middle aged, middle class male road cyclists. Outside this group I find the attitude to helmet wearing to vastly different. The working class commuters who don't wear one mostly would if became mandatory in the same way they did after mandatory seat belts etc. The active MTBers wear one as it's deemed an sensible thing to do when riding techy trails and its use other places is normalised.

It may appear that it's middle aged men who are the most vocal (they tend to be about just about any topic), but when Australua brought in MHLs, the demographic with the greatest fall in cycling rates was teenage girls.

Being vocal and having behaviour affected are not necessarily linked.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It may appear that it's middle aged men who are the most vocal (they tend to be about just about any topic), but when Australua brought in MHLs, the demographic with the greatest fall in cycling rates was teenage girls.

Being vocal and having behaviour affected are not necessarily linked.

But does that say I'm incorrect or are Australian teenage girls obsessed with their hair? Random stats without context say nothing at all .

mustang1

Guru
I cycle faster on the road than on the bike path, even the new super smooth bike paths. But I'm happy the bike path exists for the slower riders and for children.

However that's where government intervention should stop: use our tax money to provide the facilities then stay out of our hair (whoa i blew myself a pun!).

To be fair, I'd feel strange getting on a motorbike without a helmet. I'd also feel weird getting in a car without a seatbelt. Both of those are required by law yet for some reason I feel like cyclists should be left alone to make their own choice because we don't ride as fast as motorcyclists; perhaps everyone who travels using any form of transport should wear a helmet... Seatbelts haven't prevented car fatalities so maybe the next step should be seatbelts plus helmets... Who knows?

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
The simple solutions are and always will be education and enforcement of the existing laws, there is no appetite for either. Teach new drivers about cycling test, them on the test, enforce the laws on both motorists and cyclists and it will all improve.

Top Bottom