Computer buying advice, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Hi @Spinney

My local computer shop builds a lot of PCs for gaming. Do you have a LCS that could upgrade your PC for Photoshop or sell you a new PC with your needs in mind?

My current one is probably about 5 years old. It runs photoshop, but slowly, and will not run the latest version (which has some cool features I'd like to use). I was basing my choice of the Dell (or something with similar capabilities) on what Adobe said would be needed - and looked at the 'recommended' rather than the minimum requirements as I hoped that would mean the computer would last longer before it reached the stage of needing replacing due to new software needing more memory etc.

This is what my computer thinks it is. I bought it before I started using Photoshop - which is the only really graphics-heavy thing I use.
View attachment 610059
Ok, so your current AMD processor is 10 years old with onboard graphics which is the reason its struggling. The Argos one I suggested is vastly quicker, the Dell one you posted is quicker still, but not worth the extra unless you are a gamer (like me ^_^) ... the graphics card in the Dell costs around £650-£700 on its own, way too powerful for photoshop.
Happy to help with any more techy queries :okay:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My current one is probably about 5 years old. It runs photoshop, but slowly, and will not run the latest version (which has some cool features I'd like to use). I was basing my choice of the Dell (or something with similar capabilities) on what Adobe said would be needed - and looked at the 'recommended' rather than the minimum requirements as I hoped that would mean the computer would last longer before it reached the stage of needing replacing due to new software needing more memory etc.

This is what my computer thinks it is. I bought it before I started using Photoshop - which is the only really graphics-heavy thing I use.
View attachment 610059
You could definitely wring a bit more speed out of that (memory upgrade- 8GB is entry level for most tasks, and an SSD- even a SATA one will make a massive difference), but you're probably going to be better off going shopping. Don't buy a system with only a hard drive- unless you plan to upgrade it immediately. Windows 10 on HD is like wading through treacle, when I got another SSD for my Mac it was a massive improvement. You'll probably still want a hard drive for most of your data, unless you'd like to spend a lot more money for very little extra performance. Definitely 16+ GB of RAM. It doesn't sound like you need a dedicated graphics card at all, and you can always add one later. One of the current AMD Ryzen 5 5600G or 5700G CPUs (G= includes graphics) should do you nicely. Under a grand from Scan or others...

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi @Spinney

My local computer shop builds a lot of PCs for gaming. Do you have a LCS that could upgrade your PC for Photoshop or sell you a new PC with your needs in mind?
I don't know of one. I'm in a small village, and have used a local chap for repair and a memory upgrade a few years ago, but no real way of knowing how trustworthy they would be if I was buying something. There are places like Curry's in Bristol, but I'm wary of taking advice from chains like that - I've found variable quality of 'advice' when buying other kinds of things. Good suggestion though - I could ask on the village facebook group for recommendations.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Definitely 16+ GB of RAM. It doesn't sound like you need a dedicated graphics card at all, and you can always add one later. One of the current AMD Ryzen 5 5600G or 5700G CPUs (G= includes graphics) should do you nicely. Under a grand from Scan or others...
There are some aspects of photoshop accelerated using a graphics processor (by which I assume they mean a separate processor), and some that won't work without a GPU. While I don't use most of these at the moment, I'm still learning photoshop and wouldn't want to rule out being able to use them in the future for the sake of a few £100 (this computer will also be around 80% business use, so I can claim 80% of the VAT back, and offset 80% of the rest against tax, which helps reduce the 'ouch' factor on overall price!)

Happy to help with any more techy queries :okay:
Since you offer, kind sir...!

Does the Intel i5 (in the top result on the SCAN page) and/or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X satisfy the photoshop requirements? (I have no idea what SSE 4.2 means!)
1632117873284.png

I think a 2 GB GPU (that's the NVIDIA T400 ???) is fine as I'm not going for a 4k monitor.

The Hard Disc space requirement - is that just a matter of not filling up the 1TB storage? What does "1 TB M.2" mean.

Do SCAN have a good reputation for keeping to delivery promises? At the moment they are saying they have all the components in stock, but it will take 25-30 working days for them to build the thing. I can live with that, but not if it's likely to stretch much beyond.

[Photoshop requirements again in case they're helpful to answer the above!]
1632117837303.png

There are some aspects of photoshop accelerated using a graphics processor (by which I assume they mean a separate processor), and some that won't work without a GPU. While I don't use most of these at the moment, I'm still learning photoshop and wouldn't want to rule out being able to use them in the future for the sake of a few £100 (this computer will also be around 80% business use, so I can claim 80% of the VAT back, and offset 80% of the rest against tax, which helps reduce the 'ouch' factor on overall price!)

Does the Intel i5 (in the top result on the SCAN page) and/or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X satisfy the photoshop requirements? (I have no idea what SSE 4.2 means!)
View attachment 610073

I think a 2 GB GPU (that's the NVIDIA T400 ???) is fine as I'm not going for a 4k monitor.

The Hard Disc space requirement - is that just a matter of not filling up the 1TB storage? What does "1 TB M.2" mean.

Do SCAN have a good reputation for keeping to delivery promises? At the moment they are saying they have all the components in stock, but it will take 25-30 working days for them to build the thing. I can live with that, but not if it's likely to stretch much beyond.

View attachment 610072
Not a problem. Yes, i have used Scan many times, they are a reputable company.
Those two pc's have very good processors, the AMD one is the best.
The T400 graphics card is the weak link but it will run Photoshop at lower resolutions. What if you go 4K in the future though? You will need a new card. At this point I will add that my 32inch 4K monitor is best pc thing i have bought I use 3D graphics software, Lumion etc and its just brilliant.
Enough of that though, I would get this version with 4GB graphics https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs...nvidia-t600-1tb-m2-2tb-hdd-win10-pro-see-info

Oh, a 1TB m.2 is a pcie storage device about the size of your thumb which sits on the motherboard, way faster than hard disk drive so good to have. ^_^

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

View attachment 610073

View attachment 610072
That Ryzen CPU I mentioned will do everything you need. Photoshop does not require a separate GPU for acceleration, if onboard/integrated graphics are up to the job. And the 5700G's most definitely are. It'll play modern games with 1080p resolution at high frame rates- Photoshop will not stress it. Buying a card like the T400 instead would be pointless. Trying to save you money here, not cut corners ;)

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks both. Thanks for your money-saving advice, Stu, but I can afford a few £100 extra for future-proofing. And Adobe list some bits of photoshop that won't work without a separate GPU, so I'd rather play it safe (don't want to have all the faff of choosing another new computer or upgrade in a year or two).
Grant - I'll get what you recommend. Thank you for your help!
(Now there'll just be the faff of transferring everything over, but that's a problem for a few weeks' time! :wacko:)

Thanks both. Thanks for your money-saving advice, Stu, but I can afford a few £100 extra for future-proofing. And Adobe list some bits of photoshop that won't work without a separate GPU, so I'd rather play it safe (don't want to have all the faff of choosing another new computer or upgrade in a year or two).
Grant - I'll get what you recommend. Thank you for your help!
(Now there'll just be the faff of transferring everything over, but that's a problem for a few weeks' time! :wacko:)
Great stuff! You will be amazed how fast it seems compared to your old pc! Glad to assist :okay:

icowden

Veteran
As @Grant Fondo said, that PC will last you for quite a while. You can also take up gaming if you get bored... !
WIndows 10 on an m2 is great. Startup will be super fast - no more making a cup of tea whilst you wait for the PC to get itself in gear.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
As @Grant Fondo said, that PC will last you for quite a while. You can also take up gaming if you get bored... !
WIndows 10 on an m2 is great. Startup will be super fast - no more making a cup of tea whilst you wait for the PC to get itself in gear.
Glad you approve. ^_^ *
I am looking forward to the speed of my brain or typing fingers being the limiting factor, not the electrons....

*Much better than people coming along after I've already ordered it, saying 'ah, but...! :angry:

Glad you approve. ^_^ *
I am looking forward to the speed of my brain or typing fingers being the limiting factor, not the electrons....

*Much better than people coming along after I've already ordered it, saying 'ah, but...! :angry:
Doing well on pc advice this month, just spec'd a mate a new high-end 3D workstation, he is over the moon with it ..... 2 grands worth mind you ^_^

icowden

Veteran
Doing well on pc advice this month, just spec'd a mate a new high-end 3D workstation, he is over the moon with it ..... 2 grands worth mind you ^_^

You'd hope he would be after spending 2 grand! I tend to rebuild when i run out of motherboard options... (or a bit at a time). That said, it is so easy to get carried away...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You'd hope he would be after spending 2 grand! I tend to rebuild when i run out of motherboard options... (or a bit at a time). That said, it is so easy to get carried away...
That reminds me... :whistle:
Pah - In 1992, I paid £2,000 for a PC whose spec was something like an 8 MHz 486 CPU, 1 MB RAM, 200 MB hard drive, a 14" monitor and Windows 3.1! :laugh:
I think that I was only earning about £15k p.a. then so it was A LOT of money to me!

Top Bottom