Computer buying advice, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yup, can remember paying near a hundred quid for 1MB of RAM, 4x256KB SIMMs.
Edit: to go in a 386DX machine housed in an old IBM AT-286 case. Still have the case badge on the small box I use for TV.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I'm waiting for Windows 11 to roll out before I replace any of ours st home snd the Diagnostics laptop at work.

keithmac

Guru
October 5th by all accounts, but I will be leaving it a month :okay:

I can't see any merit in buying one now when you can get a factory fresh Windows 11 unit.

How long has Windows 10 got left support wise, 5 years?.

Microsoft said Windows 10 was the final version, didn't last long..

icowden

Veteran
It seems that they plan to seamlessly upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 though rather than everyone having to start from scratch again.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It has finally arrived! (To be fair, SCAN were completely open about the likely build time, and informed me when it slipped by a day).
Impressive quantities of bubblewrap of various kinds - all the pink stuff was inside the computer!
IMG_20211108_122150508.jpg
IMG_20211108_123555254.jpg

A question - the top of the computer has a grid with holes, rather than just a solid sheet of metal, and there is a lift-off lid for it that is attached (when in place) by little magnetic feet. What's this for? Extra cooling if it's brain overheats? Looks more like a dust collector to me.
IMG_20211110_085354907.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A question - the top of the computer has a grid with holes, rather than just a solid sheet of metal, and there is a lift-off lid for it that is attached (when in place) by little magnetic feet. What's this for? Extra cooling if it's brain overheats? Looks more like a dust collector to me.

Yes, that's venting- like a lot of modern cases, there are fans (and/or a water cooler) along the top- warm air rises, remember? ;) I imagine the lift-off lid is for access to dust filters & for maintenance.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Yes, that's venting- like a lot of modern cases, there are fans (and/or a water cooler) along the top- warm air rises, remember? ;) I imagine the lift-off lid is for access to dust filters & for maintenance.
No, the lift off lid only leaves it as the pic (i.e holes open instead of covered, but you can't get in that way). Both sides of the case come off easily with a couple of thumbscrews.
The fan is mounted by a similar grid of holes in the back of the box.

The top plate there probably came with a magnetic mesh filter. Here's the top of my Corsair case, with the mesh in place.

Behind that illuminated fan is a radiator for the cpu water cooler with two further fans attached. It's often a good idea to have a fan on top assisting the natural convection flow. The bottom, front, and back of the case will need regular dusting!

Top Bottom