Computer internet connection help needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Simple solution to anyone but me I am sure.
My router had to be changed along with the password number.
The engineer changed the password on my laptop.....all was well.
Today my laptop will not connect and seems to be trying the old password (which no longer exists).
I just cannot find how/where to change/swap the old number to the new one.
My phone occassionaly does the same thing and its simple to go through settings>connections etc but I just cannot find it on my laptop.
Any help please .

vickster

Legendary Member
Simple solution to anyone but me I am sure.
My router had to be changed along with the password number.
The engineer changed the password on my laptop.....all was well.
Today my laptop will not connect and seems to be trying the old password (which no longer exists).
I just cannot find how/where to change/swap the old number to the new one.
My phone occassionaly does the same thing and its simple to go through settings>connections etc but I just cannot find it on my laptop.
Any help please .
Forget network, then re-add? For your network in network and sharing center (ugh centre!!)

stephec

Legendary Member
Do you have a wireless icon on the right of your taskbar?

Click on that, then select the network that you want to connect to, if your password is right it should connect, if not then it should ask you for the password.

wifi.JPG

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do you have a wireless icon on the right of your taskbar?

Click on that, then select the network that you want to connect to, if your password is right it should connect, if not then it should ask you for the password.

View attachment 421022
Tried that thanks. Not sure what Im doing but I entered the "wifi password" which is a series of letters and numbers then the "wifi network" which is VM.....followed by a series of numbers.
It tells me its not recognised ?

classic33

Leg End Member
No Add Password/Enter Password.

Stephec gives the best way round it, if not.

Is there a sticker with the information on it, on the router

KneesUp

Guru
I think you are on a Virgin network.

I'd suggest connecting via cable and going to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser - this is your hub. If you've not changed the password on the hub itself it will be 'changeme'

Log in and go to the wireless settings. There it will tell you the name of your network and the password, which you can change.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
This is very confusing. I think what you are describing is the list of wifi networks you can see. If your old VMxxxxx is there, then that router is still there and turned on, otherwise it wouldn't

Turn off your "new" router, and see if what disappears from that list.
The old VM number keeps showing up but that router is dead and gone.
I just cant find a way to tell my laptop that is the case.
It has worked fine for the 2 months since I got the new router.
I will try switching the router off/on

KneesUp

Guru
Home now so have a screenshot.

Connect your laptop to the router with a network cable. They’re often yellow or grey.

Put 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your browser.

Use the password ‘changeme’

Click on Wireless Network Settings

You can see the name of your network and it’s password. You can change them too, if you want.

3D04C681-D654-4A84-B1D1-E35E2EADA785.jpeg

Assuming Virgin haven’t radically changed the firmware it should look something like the above.

Top Bottom