Confrontation advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
He has committed an offence by spraying you with screenwash if it was done deliberately - it's rare, but people can and do get prosecuted for it.
I beli

However, in the grand scheme of things, is it really worth your time and effort pursuing?
That said, you have to wonder about the anger management issues of someone who is prepared to follow you and get out of his tin box and grab you for what is a very mild insult...
I don't read anything that suggests the squirting was deliberate, just ill timed and without checking nobody was coming.

I'm not in the slightest condoning it and most definitely not the road rage after effects, I agree with the rest, the sustained follow up and physical intervention deserves a police visit to the driver.

Unless I was very sure it was a deliberate thing, I'd have gone with 'easy fella' or similar, to make someone aware of their carelessness rather than a word you/some may consider a very mild insult but its not a word I'd call my mother or a colleague at work and not one I'd take kindly to being called.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Are you sure it was done deliberately? Did you get wet from the jet or splashes off the windscreen? If he's the type of tool to do this sort of thing deliberately then I'm guessing he would of been amused that it got you and wouldn't of given a flying fox what you said to him. If he was just washing his window genuinely and someone calls him a terwatt then I'm not surprised he got the hump. That is not to say he was right to follow you though.

andyfraser

Über Member
Are you sure it was done deliberately? Did you get wet from the jet or splashes off the windscreen? If he's the type of tool to do this sort of thing deliberately then I'm guessing he would of been amused that it got you and wouldn't of given a flying fox what you said to him. If he was just washing his window genuinely and someone calls him a terwatt then I'm not surprised he got the hump. That is not to say he was right to follow you though.
If I'd accidentally squirted someone and they told me I'd say sorry, regardless of what they called me. There's absolutely no excuse for chasing someone or any kind of physical violence.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've been sprayed by screenwash a few times. In all cases I think it has been down to accident, rather than malice, and the most I've done is give a sarcastic thumbs up. This van driver guy sounds like an idiot, but as I always say, if you go round calling people rude names, it won't be long before you meet an idiot.

A9HIMN0CUAAdeqn.jpg

Clarkson in the Sunday Times.

I'm not sure this is deliberate, you could have reasoned with the guy and not automatically come to a conclusion and called him what you called him.

That's my advice.

Is the sort of person who follows cyclists then assaults them more or less likely to be the sort who'd spray them on purpose?

mustang1

Legendary Member
I don't think you should call the police about this because then you may not post the video here. And I really wanna watch the video.

Do you know if the side mirrors of the van were foldable? :biggrin:

mustang1

Legendary Member
He has committed an offence by spraying you with screenwash if it was done deliberately - it's rare, but people can and do get prosecuted for it.
I believe (could be wrong) that this is technically classed as an 'assault'.

However, in the grand scheme of things, is it really worth your time and effort pursuing?
That said, you have to wonder about the anger management issues of someone who is prepared to follow you and get out of his tin box and grab you for what is a very mild insult...
The drivers wife probably calls him that when he gets home:
Driver: him I'm home!
Wife: you stupid twat.

I bet op wasn't the first person to call him a year that day. Here's one from me too: YOU TWAT.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I believe (could be wrong) that this is technically classed as an 'assault'.

The drivers wife probably calls him that when he gets home:
Driver: him I'm home!
Wife: you stupid twat.

I bet op wasn't the first person to call him a year that day. Here's one from me too: YOU TWAT.

Top Bottom