Confrontation advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
They put urine or bleach in the windscreen washer reservoir, it's quite common, I've had vehicles slow down so the drivers can spray stuff, it's obvious what they're doing.

Never in 40 years of cycling very regularly as my only then favoured mode of transport and being involved with cycling groups have I experienced or heard of bleach or urine in a washer bottle and a 7 year old thread on here about misaligned nozzles; that mentions neither substance.

I'm not disputing it happens but am very sceptical about quite common.

And yes once would be bad enough, I'm not condoning or excusing malicious behaviour at all.

As an aside, I don't know what I'm doing so wonderfully right to barely ever experience so many nutters & ire as seem to beset some on here.

Is your commute through East London?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Never in 40 years of cycling very regularly as my only then favoured mode of transport and being involved with cycling groups have I experienced or heard of bleach or urine in a washer bottle and a 7 year old thread on here about misaligned nozzles; that mentions neither substance.
Glens evidence for it being "quite common" so far is;

A9HIMN0CUAAdeqn.jpg

Clarkson in the Sunday Times.
Some crap from Clarkson, you need to work on your Google Fu Glen, surely there must be some more evidence you can get your hands on for something so common.

EthelF

Rain God
What a horrible encounter. I'm wary of swearing at drivers as you never know when you're going to encounter a nutter. As you unfortunately discovered yesterday.

Oddly enough, although it doesn't happen to me often, I got sprayed yesterday. I was filtering past a taxi when the cabbie decided his screen needed a wash. Probably not deliberate, but who knows? Anyway, I called out "Thanks!" (his nearside window was open so I imagine he heard, but no reaction) and continued on my way.

PK99

Legendary Member
Can i ask for some advice please. I was cycling this evening and filtering passed cars on the white line, and a plain blue van decided to wash his windscreen as i was passing so i said "twat". He then sounded his horn. I pulled in front as i couldn't get any further ahead. I turned off he followed, then over took me, stopped got out in front of me and said "who are calling you a twat" i said "you" but i never stopped. He then followed me so i went round around the block at a roundabout they were some cars so i couldn't pull out, but he got out of his van grabbed my arm and said"you don't call someone a twat for their wipers"

I didn't want to hang around and pushed my way through the roundabout and made my way home making sure he didn't follow or see me.

I have this on camera(haven't look at it yet), there were many people about,

Is it a case of 50/50 blame each way as i did call him something, but there's no need to follow me or grab my arm. I am slightly shaken as this has never happened before.

What should i have done differently, said nothing?

Thanks

If you were walking along the street and a random stranger bumbed into you or got in your way, or splashed you with a drink, would you think it OK to issue an obscene insult?

Why did you feel a need to be verbally violent and confrontational?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you were walking along the street and a random stranger bumbed into you or got in your way, or splashed you with a drink, would you think it OK to issue an obscene insult?

Why did you feel a need to be verbally violent and confrontational?

you might be quite rude if a stranger deliberately pushed you off the pavement or poured his pint over you on purpose - even if you didn't want a fight

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've been sprayed by screenwash a few times. In all cases I think it has been down to accident, rather than malice, and the most I've done is give a sarcastic thumbs up. This van driver guy sounds like an idiot, but as I always say, if you go round calling people rude names, it won't be long before you meet an idiot.
This for me. It's not a pleasant experience but I've never had an incident (ie where they've done it repeatedly) that has led to me being certain it's deliberate so I've always let it go.

The van driver was absolutely in the wrong to follow you. Undoubtedly. However, and I know it was in the heat of the moment, before you call someone a t**t you need to run the various possible follow up scenarios through your head and be sure you're ready for each one. Otherwise just mutter.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Probably an accident and calling a workman a tw@t is likely to end in somethign of this nature. He seems like a typical dummy thug type, trying to show off to his mate, however. Shouldn't have chased you down or laid his hands on you. As for reporting it to the Police, I think it's overkill. Could and should have been avoided in the first place. Life is too short - try not to dwell on it and let if pass.

[QUOTE="Sittingduck, post: 3899612, member: 2761"calling a workman a tw@t is likely to end in somethign of this nature.[/QUOTE]

Awesome piece of stereotyping. Those that work with their hands, and not in an office, are aggressive thugs?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Probably an accident and calling a workman a tw@t is likely to end in somethign of this nature. He seems like a typical dummy thug type, trying to show off to his mate, however. Shouldn't have chased you down or laid his hands on you. As for reporting it to the Police, I think it's overkill. Could and should have been avoided in the first place. Life is too short - try not to dwell on it and let if pass.
Just because someone is of working class doesnt mean they're instantly to be feared for risk of a punch up for crying out loud...
Where I work I've had people call me a few names, a few insults.. doesnt mean I should go and follow them or grab at them. Police needed to be informed there.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Screenwash in the eyes is not nice (another reason to wear glasses). Whether is was deliberate is always going to be difficult to ascertain, unless you see something that tips you off. However, in the absence of any evidence of premeditation, I usually ignore it and hope/assume it was accidental.

Schneil

Veteran
Thanks for your advice. He was a workman the way he was dressed and had his mate in the van. Didn't catch the logo on his shirt and video doesn't show it in enough detail. But I do have a a clear picture of him. Maybe a YouTube video, won't do anything but might make feel better .

Think I will just take this a a learning experience and hope it doesn't happen again.
Find out his address from his reg. no. and send him 'something' in the post. :okay:

Sorry, I've been reading too many Jack Reacher books.

Write "twat" on his lawn in weedkiller. He'd love that.....

Lonestar

Veteran
Had it at Harrow Green/Epping and Mile End,ones I can remember...People really are stupid morons.The one at Mile End was from a tomato sauce bottle sprayed from a passing car.Actually the one at Epping was another bottle thingy....either water or p155.I'm afraid motorists* don't really surprise me with their moronic behaviour.

*Should I tar all motorists like they tar us with moronic behaviour?

Top Bottom