Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Had a bit of an incident with a driver just now.

I was waiting at a junction, taking a rest when a car cuts the corner. I simply mutter under my breathe "Cut the corner a bit there" and think nothing more of it. When I turn around, the car has stopped and the driver leans out the window and the exact following conversation ensues:

Him: "You what?"
Me: "You cut the corner a bit"
"And what does it have to do with you?"
"Your putting other people in danger, drive properly"

The driver then starts driving away and I read out his numberplate. As I do so, he then stops and the door opens. I start riding off and he then returns to his car as I say "See ya" (not in a confrontational or provocative way).
I then ride on and try to forget the incident. When I notice that he is behind a car behind me. As he starts to overtake, he cuts in and stops. I have two options: 1-Jump on the pavement and ride away. or 2-stand my ground and just let him make himself look a fool.I stand my ground and say very little. The following lecture from him begins:

Me: "Its all on camera"
Him: "I don't care, I don't give a toss if it's on camera or not. If you talk to me like that again then I will wrap that f**king bike right up your nose, is that clear? IS THAT CLEAR? Is it clear otherwise I will rip that f**king helmet right off your head! Is it clear? IS IT CLEAR!!"
Me: "I am calling the police"
Him: "Call whoever you f**king like, your the one who started this mate"
Me: "I havent started anything, you cut the corner"
Him: "Nothing to do with you, nothing to do with you"
Me: "What if I had been turning right?"
Him: "But you werent turning right! You shut your mouth because I am going to knock you out in a minute boy. Gobby little c*nt"

He then walks back to his car and points to his numberplate "there's my number", to which I lastly reply "got it all on camera" and he parts with a welcome "f*ck off". He then drives away just as I start talking to the officer on the phone.

Can I please stress that at no point did I SWEAR or act threatening or provocative in any way. Whenever I replied to him, I paused and thought about what I was going to say so I didnt cause anything worse to happen.This guy was either having a bad day (even though the sun was out) or was just one of those types.

I reported the incident and am going to the local police station to give a statement tomorrow morning.

Any advice and opinions on the incident would be welcome. What amused me is that he repeatedly refered to my bike and my helmet! He must have a keen eye.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
You're Matthew T, so it must have been your fault.
OK
just wanted to be the first to get that in...
:thumbsup:

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
As soon as he offered to 'wrap the bike up your nose' he committed an assault. You should press charges because that guy is clearly unbalanced and dangerous. Let's see how he reacts to a visit from P.C. Plod. These bully types are cowards at heart, and they tend to play a different tune when the boys in blue drop in for a chat.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
As soon as he offered to 'wrap the bike up your nose' he committed an assault. You should press charges because that guy is clearly unbalanced and dangerous. Let's see how he reacts to a visit from P.C. Plod. They tend to play a different tune when the boys in blue drop in for a chat.
We throughout the whole incident (second part of it when he approached me) he had his finger right in my face and repeatedly tapped my nose lightly (he still touched me). I had in the back of my mind the word ASSAULT but at no point did I mention it to him because I suspected he would say something like "Assault? This is an assault!" I didnt want to take that risk.

BTW guys, would legal fees be covered by my insurance of this goes to court?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh dear.

Get eating that porridge ! :thumbsup:

Just another one of life's idiots I am afraid, and even muttering can set them off. Probably not worth muttering, as people don't drive very well, and we all know folk don't like to be told so.

You get it, let it go.

fossyant

All that's likely to happen is the guy gets a telling off. Legal Fees - no that's now't to do with this. If the Police decide there is enough to procecute, they will - you are just the victim.

Had you been 4 stone heavier, 10 years older, and muscular, he might not have chanced it.

fossyant

Ram the bike right up your nose? That's a refreshing change I suppose!

Usually ar$e ! :tongue:

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
We throughout the whole incident (second part of it when he approached me) he had his finger right in my face and repeatedly tapped my nose lightly (he still touched me).

That's 'assault and battery'. When he touched you he committed battery. Contrary to popular belief, assault is not a physical attack - it's merely a verbal threat that makes you apprehend an attack. When he touches you, that is battery.

In England and Wales, battery is usually a summary offence, but if tried, it can be punishable with imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or a fine not exceeding level 5 (£5000) on the standard scale, or both. Of course, usually it doesn't work out anywhere near that nicely, and these idiots usually get off with a warning.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Had you been 4 stone heavier, 10 years older, and muscular, he might not have chanced it.
I think my age has a big thing to do with it. If someone elderly had been in my shoes, then the driver would probably have thought "He is old and lives in the past". It doesnt go through these people heads that I am young and have been taught the modern ways of the roads (and read up on my highway code which very few motorists do).

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
That's 'assault and battery'. When he touched you he committed battery. Contrary to popular belief, assault is not a physical attack - it's merely a verbal threat that makes you fear an attack. When he touches you, that is battery.
When I was on the phone to the police, I opened with "I have just been verbally assaulted by a motorist" (I was still shook up so my words were all over the place but the guy on the phone understood what I meaant).

Pottsy

If you criticise people's driving, this sort of thing will happen - it will get taken personally.

Given the number of cr@p drivers on the road you will also be very busy and get beaten up every so often.

It's best to relax and let this sort of thing go. Alternatively I suggest Buddhism or perhaps moving to an uninhabited island.

Waiting at a junction where you

2010.06.06+rosebark+blog+bike+nose.JPG

BSRU

A Human Being
He must have the hearing of a bat if he heard anything of your muttering under your breath.
In reply to his "You What?" I would have stated something completely different and unrelated to what you really said which would have confused him and maybe defused the situation.
I often talk to myself about things on the ride and a few times a passing driver has decided it must be about them and become irate.

Top Bottom