Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I generally ignore stupid driving, but if they very nearly take me out, they will get an "Oi, watch it" - even that can be enough of a 'snap' for some drivers, and they will tell you to 'f-off' and/or drive their cars at you - some folk are on a short fuse, so be aware.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do report it, the Police may just have a record against the car. It goes as an extra 'notch' on their records. A visit from the 'Police' is enough for most folk.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Waiting at a junction where you

2010.06.06+rosebark+blog+bike+nose.JPG
Strangely that does actually look like me (more like my brother). Although I am not a girl and had my sunglasses on.

I was waiting at a junction because I had just gone up a hill and was allowing traffic to pass (not something I normally do so I dont know what was wrong with me).

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Do report it, the Police may just have a record against the car. It goes as an extra 'notch' on their records. A visit from the 'Police' is enough for most folk.
The guy on the phone asked me for the numberplate. Unfortunately, I had my mind set on not getting hit so I wasnt really paying attention. I have him the first 4 digits though.

This is the first time in a long time (since last year) that I have had this sort of a confrontation with a driver where I have called the police.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
There are a lot of nutters about. Best not to antagonise them over minor transgressions.
I didnt antagonise him, he just took my mutter very personally and overreacted.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Criticism can antagonise some drivers. Which is why I tend to avoid it unless it's a particularly severe transgression.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I start riding off and he then returns to his car as I say "See ya" (not in a confrontational or provocative way).
I'm afraid there's no way that the "See ya" wasn't provocative, I'm guessing you didn't know him, so the "See ya" was sarcastic, ipso facto, provocative. If you hadn't said it he wouldn't have come after you. Forget about the driving critique, the "See ya" was the real mistake.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think you have to be very careful with confrontations Matt, theres a chance sooner or later one of these road rage idiots will hit you or run you off the road. The other guy was clearly to blame, but its not worth being right if its got you beat up or run off the road and hurt.

Even if you muttered it quietly you probably looked at the car/driver so he sees you looking at him and mouthing something and later saying "See ya" and riding off is going to look provocative or sarcastic. Also if someone is losing control, telling them its all on camera kinda traps them because they cant just walk away and forget it happened. As I said its not your fault and I hope the guy gets in trouble for it - just personally I think its better to avoid the nutters. :smile:

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
As soon as he offered to 'wrap the bike up your nose' he committed an assault. You should press charges because that guy is clearly unbalanced and dangerous. Let's see how he reacts to a visit from P.C. Plod. These bully types are cowards at heart, and they tend to play a different tune when the boys in blue drop in for a chat.

I think its actually section 29 assault (common assault) as he prodded him in the nose to emphasise his point rather then to cause him physical harm through battery (section 39)
at least i doubt CPS would go for the latter but rather the former.
regardless this is absolutely a case of assault, no question.

If when a cyclist is killed, a not very bright rear light is seen to mitigate speeding whilst driving an unroadworthy vehicle then I am afraid a see ya to antagonise an angry motorist will mitigate any future action of the said motorist. Deffo report it and look forward to the vid.:popcorn:

Top Bottom