Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
I couldnt really disagree more :smile: Its one of the most antagonistic or at least provocative things to criticise someone elses driving, people take it very personally and are very defensive about it...

Then they need to grow up! I often ask other drivers, with whom I interact on the road and with whom I get to talk, how my cycling was. It's important to be open to criticism, especially when doing something as dangerous as driving. Those who are not open to criticism really shouldn't be operating a 3000lb vehicle at speeds in excess of 15mph.

Reactions: gaz
Very calm Mathew, whilst I think you did 'escalate' the problem with your sarcastic see ya, I would have been tempted to let him have my helmet,right on the bridge of his nose:laugh:

sabian92

Über Member
While I'm not saying he was in the right, some times just saying naff all is best. You don't know how mad people are in cars.

I hate to say it, but he was right when he said "but you weren't turning right, were you?". You were way over to the left, you were no way in any sort of danger so maybe saying nothing is best next time.

Of course, if somebody properly drives like a mental and puts you in real danger, say something by all means.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've seen the video. Words fail me. Call me a bully if you like, but when Matt eventually gets assaulted by a motorist, I hope those of you encouraging this behaviour can live with yourselves.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Only watched the video, not read any of the posts and i'm sure I'm repeating what others have said, but I think it is good advice and I would say it to anyone.

Don't say anything to anyone! It's just not worth it, you never know who they are, what their state of mind is and what they are prepared to do over nothing. The key is to protect your self, if you aren't a 6ft 3 rugby player then people will try and bully you if they think they have a chance against you, just like the guy in the video did.

You can get away with it in some circumstances if you do it in a light hearted way.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
having since watched the video, i disagree. nobody was put in danger by this cornering. Had Matt been lined up to turn right it would be a different scenario, but as it stands, it's a non event that escalates for no good reason.
So as long as it doesn't effect anyone, it is ok?
So it's ok to go through a red light if it won't affect anyone? it's ago to go across a train crossing when the barriers are down if you can make it?

It was poor driving, but in my opinion, doesn't warrant a comment.

dawesome

Car shows as uninsured.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
So as long as it doesn't effect anyone, it is ok?
So it's ok to go through a red light if it won't affect anyone? it's ago to go across a train crossing when the barriers are down if you can make it?

It was poor driving, but in my opinion, doesn't warrant a comment.

an idiotic reply Gaz.... can you really compare a line of white paint which, for all intents and purposes, is a guide designed to be driven over, with a red light or the barrier at a level crossing?

As Mr. T would say "You crazy fool!"

potsy

Rambler
I've seen the video. Words fail me. Call me a bully if you like, but when Matt eventually gets assaulted by a motorist, I hope those of you encouraging this behaviour can live with yourselves.
There are also lots of people on here that have tried to get Matthew to not get involved, unfortunately he doesn't seem to be taking that in.
My opinion is it was a nothing incident, sort of driving you see daily, I'm sure with that level of overreaction from the driver, he will already be known to the police.

Dan B

Disengaged member
A line of white paint is no more "designed to be driven over" than a red light is to be driven past

Cutting the corner may well be a "nobody really cares, move on" action, but it's certainly not what they teach in driving lessons.

benb

Evidence based cyclist

There are also lots of people on here that have tried to get Matthew to not get involved, unfortunately he doesn't seem to be taking that in.
My opinion is it was a nothing incident, sort of driving you see daily, I'm sure with that level of overreaction from the driver, he will already be known to the police.

The thing is, Matthew's initial "provocation" was nothing. Unless you're suggesting that we should restrain ourselves from displaying any kind of reaction at all to other people's poor driving (not so much as a glance or a shake of the head), I don't see how Matthew's response could reasonably be described as provocation at all.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Uninsured drivers cost the rest of us £400m every year, as well as the injuries and deaths they mete out.
and that has exactly what to do with cutting over the white lines when turning into a junction?

you may as well have said "Genocide has been responsible for thousands, if not millions of deaths"

Top Bottom