Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I think its actually section 29 assault (common assault) as he prodded him in the nose to emphasise his point rather then to cause him physical harm through battery (section 39)
at least i doubt CPS would go for the latter but rather the former.
regardless this is absolutely a case of assault, no question.
Thanks for that, I was going to ask to what I should reply to the officer when they say "What action would you like us to take?"

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Thanks for that, I was going to ask to what I should reply to the officer when they say "What action would you like us to take?"

I don't think you would be expected to know the exact act of parliament under which you would want him charged, so a simple "charged with assault" would suffice there.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I don't think you would be expected to know the exact act of parliament under which you would want him charged, so a simple "charged with assault" would suffice there.
Yes, thats what I meant sorry. In all the past incidents I have had where i have reported it, I have told the police that 'A word' with the driver would suffice. It is good to know the exact act so that they dont do him for anything less though.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
I think you have to be very careful with confrontations Matt, theres a chance sooner or later one of these road rage idiots will hit you or run you off the road.

Which is why it's very important to report this sort of thing to the police. They know how to defuse these issues and make the perpetrator know not to cause such problems in future.

Some people can get wound up over anything... he obviously knew he had driven badly otherwise how would he know you were muttering about him? Sounds like assault to me but my money is on plod, at best, “having a word”... hope I’m wrong but, if you can kill a cyclist because you are speeding in poor weather conditions, aren’t paying attention and have a dirty windscreen and still walk free from court then I doubt, in the grand scheme of things, anyone other than fellow cyclists and a few internet trolls will take the blindest bit of notice...
Having said that, being older and bigger and not really giving a to$$ myself, and in full knowledge that plod will do nothing, i find in situations similar to that, that leaning on their car while they attempt to lecture you can elevate their blood pressure to near fatal levels, add to that acting really thick/purposely failing to understand them, you can wind them up even more...:eek:

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
There are a lot of nutters about. Best not to antagonise them over minor transgressions.

I don't think it's 'antagonizing' to point out poor driving. We can't go around assuming everyone is a psychopath - if we did, no motorist would ever improve and everyone's driving would just get progressively worse. And I don't think cutting a corner while someone is at the corner is a minor transgression - at some point it could result in a fatality. If no one was at the corner, okay, but having been the victim of two such 'minor transgressions' in the last week (on the same day, no less), they are scary and can be deadly.

This is a very unfortunate situation and one that I'm glad didn't involve anyone getting hurt.

It happened. How it's dealt with will depend in part on the OP's next move. Nobody on CC has seen the video, but on the basis of the OP's description, these are my thoughts:

1. It sounds as if the corner-cutting by the errant motorist was not posing a threat to anyone (apologies if I'm wrong here). One sees scores of motorists cutting corners every day. Most of the time it is a fairly benign activity, for all that it is lazy.

2. I imagine that either the 'muttering' was louder than intended or it was accompanied by some readable body language. It is hard enough to hear muttered comments from another road user when cycling. In a car, it is almost impossible. My wife often fails to hear me when I'm in the passenger seat... Matthew, are you sure it was just muttered?

3. The driver sounds like a prize turnip and his actions as described sound unmitigably poor and aggressive. Nonetheless, I think the parting comment ("See Ya") must have come across as in some way taking the Mickey or taking a provocative stance. Mad as the driver may be, there are few people who will turn their car round to confront another road user after a mild bit of banter.

I am not in any way excusing the driver. I do not want that sort of person on the road anywhere near my own children (who span the OP's age). Nonetheless, I believe that actions Matthew took may have contributed in some way to turning a poorly cut corner into a face-to-face tiff.

This is not a criticism of Matthew or an exoneration of the driver. It is interesting that you make it clear in the OP that you didn't swear, Matthew. For many people, there is much more to provocation than foul language or physical posture. For all that the driver seems to have been nine parts Loony Tunes, something provoked him.

You mention in the OP that you thought before speaking each time you spoke. It was an ugly situation and you have my sympathy, but perhaps the next time the thought might helpfully be along the lines of "Say nothing".

It sounds like a valuable lesson. You may report this; you may not. Whatever you do, looking at the video again will allow you to see how and why this confrontation developed from what many see as an innocuous and uncommentworthy piece of lazy driving.

Bottom line: I'm glad you're OK.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I don't think it's 'antagonizing' to point out poor driving. We can't go around assuming everyone is a psychopath - if we did, no motorist would ever improve and everyone's driving would just get progressively worse.
I couldnt really disagree more :smile: Its one of the most antagonistic or at least provocative things to criticise someone elses driving, people take it very personally and are very defensive about it (ironically us cyclists are also very defensive about our cycling skills). Maybe im just cynical but i dont believe people often take note of a cyclist (or any other road user) telling them to change their behaviour, nor do i think its my responsibility to "educate" other road users or act as some kind of self-proclaimed pseudo police.

Its hard enough to change the opinion of people you know and are on good terms with, let alone be constructive with an adrenaline rush to a guy whos just put your life at risk and thinks you're a self righteous ass... for criticising his road use. I dont think many people could do this anyway.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unless the police have decided there will be no further action, you might be better removing the video.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Yes, thats what I meant sorry. In all the past incidents I have had where i have reported it, I have told the police that 'A word' with the driver would suffice. It is good to know the exact act so that they dont do him for anything less though.

Well, the specific offence (if any) he is charged with is down to the CPS not the police.

Top Bottom