Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
People are starting to repeat themselves now, especially with how long this is going on for.

The opinions I have collated and generalised are that 1) I shouldnt have muttered under my breath so loud that the driver could here. 2) The "See ya" comment was uncalled for. 3) I handled the confrontation well. 4) The driver was a tool and should be punished for pursuing me. And 5) I need to learn to ignore everythinng on the roads and just concentrate on my riding, even if people put me and other people in danger.

I'm glad this thread has been useful Matthew. I think most of the advice was positive and constructive.

I think your summing up of the points is largely accurate, although I think you might be being slightly disingenuous in the fifth.

I don't believe anyone is telling you to ignore everything; it's a matter of judgement and a matter of degree.

Keep riding and keep enjoying it.

View: http://youtu.be/E9_KGuobhAs

But this isn't the only one just one of the latest ones.Some are shocking,appalling driving.

I don't get why I was asked for a link,I guess im almost being accused of making it up.

I wasn’t accusing you of making it up, honest! :hello: I just like to look at other cyclist’s video’s sometimes – and you hinted you had a youtube channel but, unlike some posters on here, there was no link in your footer... thanks for posting – I shall enjoy browsing your channel later:cheers:

Linford

Does active video capture empower that person with a sense of riteousness, and encourage them to seek out confrontation to improve their sense of this - as in that they might try and manipulate their environment to bring them into contact with confrontation ?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You guys have no idea what highly strung is, and what tiny things will anger some people to ridiculous lengths. I'm slightly involved in a debacle between two other youtube users over a comment and response, and you wouldn't believe it. Sorry I can't make it public.

PK99

Legendary Member
Does active video capture empower that person with a sense of riteousness, and encourage them to seek out confrontation to improve their sense of this - as in that they might try and manipulate their environment to bring them into contact with confrontation ?

.... a process analogous to risk compensation?

benb

Evidence based cyclist

No, not in my experience.

Linford

.... a process analogous to risk compensation?

I think there is something in that - in the same way you get a gang of kids together, and the gobby one is usually the smallest who feels properly hard with his big mates stood behind him.

they take risks because they feel they have something else to back them up if it turns ugly.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I certainly think this is the case with some cam users, though by no means all.

d.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
If you go through my videos (recent ones) then you will see that in none of them did I 'look' for the incident. How can someone look for an incident? The only way I can expect that is by riding in a dangerous manner and moving closer to vehicle to then have something to complain about. I maintain my line on the roads, and in this situation had moved into a road to allow traffic behind me to pass. At no point did I see the car coming and make it cut the corner just so I could say something.
I cannot control what people do on the roads, but it seems my commenting on their mistakes meets their need to be able to intimidate and endanger me and other road users to have a confrontation.

BSRU

A Human Being
If you go through my videos (recent ones) then you will see that in none of them did I 'look' for the incident. How can someone look for an incident? The only way I can expect that is by riding in a dangerous manner and moving closer to vehicle to then have something to complain about. I maintain my line on the roads, and in this situation had moved into a road to allow traffic behind me to pass. At no point did I see the car coming and make it cut the corner just so I could say something.
I cannot control what people do on the roads, but it seems my commenting on their mistakes meets their need to be able to intimidate and endanger me and other road users to have a confrontation.
Matthew, you just have to accept that for whatever reason some cyclists do not like and will never like cam-cyclists.
A cam-cyclist would have to have a huge death wish to deliberately put themselves in very dangerous situations with large steel boxes just in order to create confrontation.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
People are starting to repeat themselves now, especially with how long this is going on for.

The opinions I have collated and generalised are that 1) I shouldnt have muttered under my breath so loud that the driver could here. 2) The "See ya" comment was uncalled for. 3) I handled the confrontation well. 4) The driver was a tool and should be punished for pursuing me. And 5) I need to learn to ignore everythinng on the roads and just concentrate on my riding, even if people put me and other people in danger.

No, not number 5, just weight up the actual risk to yourself or others before reacting if necessary. Just my opinion though.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite

Why not start a new thread with this question if you really wish to discuss it? I'm not sure that it adds anything to this one.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
No, not number 5, just weight up the actual risk to yourself or others before reacting if necessary. Just my opinion though.
Yes, and the risk in this situation was minimal. There was very little risk. It is just that the driver took it upon him to create a situation when there wasnt one. Yes, I possibly could have just sighed or shook my head (he wasnt looking at me when he passed) but it is difficult not to give a response to something which is wrong and dangerous.

PK99

Legendary Member
If you go through my videos (recent ones) then you will see that in none of them did I 'look' for the incident. How can someone look for an incident?
Matt, have you learned nothing from this thread?
you sought and found confrontation in the incident under discussion by your attitude and behaviour. vThe event had happened and was ended until you chose to verbally confront the driver, he should not have responded as he did but you most certainly sought and provoked the ensuing confrontation
in
MJ57RVZ - Very close pinch point pass and brake test - you gave an air zound blast after the van had passed and the danger was over : see highway code 112

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively.

ditto in most of the incidents in "Airzound Moments" where you are expressing displeasure at what has been done not to protect yourself by warning of your prescene

Top Bottom