Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
The point of the story? The cyclist is never at fault, and nor should they ever be,.

utter nonsense!

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I was on a Speed Awareness course yesterday and we were relayed a story....

A driver friend of the instructor is currently in Walton jail for killing a cyclist. The driver was not speeding and proceeding through a green traffic light and hit the cyclist who had red light jumped. The drivers life has understandably been ruined and he is now on suicide watch.

The driver was on the phone.

A hands free phone.

The point of the story? The cyclist is never at fault, and nor should they ever be,.
In that situation, I wont say all the blame is on the cyclist, but the majority of it is. The driver was (mistake me if I am wrong) in his right to proceed throught the traffic light, and was using a (mistake me if I am wrong) legal form of communication.
The cyclist jumped a red light.

It is pretty obvious it is the cyclists fault but I dont understand why the driver is in jail. What was he sentenced with?

Linford

Why not start a new thread with this question if you really wish to discuss it? I'm not sure that it adds anything to this one.

I do feel that he may not have been so keen to continue the confrintation if it wasn't on the cam, andthat the knowledge in the back of his mind that it was running did empower him to escalate it when he could see that the bloke was getting irate.

Sure I can start another thread on the subject, but it will only refer back to this one, and the events in the clips. The other vid where he cut the blind corner. Would he have done that if not for chasing more excitement in the captured footage ?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Sure I can start another thread on the subject, but it will only refer back to this one, and the events in the clips. The other vid where he cut the blind corner. Would he have done that if not for chasing more excitement in the captured footage ?
I was chasing the pack and trying to catch up. I am not the fastest rider in the bunch so have to make up time where I can.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I do feel that he may not have been so keen to continue the confrintation if it wasn't on the cam, andthat the knowledge in the back of his mind that it was running did empower him to escalate it when he could see that the bloke was getting irate.

I'm not discussing my views on this, in this thread. End of.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Matt, have you learned nothing from this thread?
you sought and found confrontation in the incident under discussion by your attitude and behaviour. vThe event had happened and was ended until you chose to verbally confront the driver, he should not have responded as he did but you most certainly sought and provoked the ensuing confrontation
in

MJ57RVZ - Very close pinch point pass and brake test - you gave an air zound blast after the van had passed and the danger was over : see highway code 112

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively.

ditto in most of the incidents in "Airzound Moments" where you are expressing displeasure at what has been done not to protect yourself by warning of your prescene
That displeasure is much better than swearing. It means that i am unlikely to come over agressive. It raises drivers awareness of what they have just done.

Linford

I'm not discussing my views on this, in this thread. End of.

Feel free to start your own thread on the subject if that is the case with some of your own examples ?. Either way, the suggestion has struck a chord with you so perhaps it would be a good thing.....

Linford

That displeasure is much better than swearing. It means that i am unlikely to come over agressive. It raises drivers awareness of what they have just done.

You are using the airzound to vent your spleen though. It is a demonstration that you are allowing emotion to rule in a judgment call as you have reacted after the event. This is another example of antagonisitic behaviour which would rightly be condemned if it came from a car driver.

I was chasing the pack and trying to catch up. I am not the fastest rider in the bunch so have to make up time where I can.

Matthew, I quite understsand that feeling of looking to make up time where possible...

Imagine a motorist saying that after cutting a corner, making a slightly close pass, running an amber light or pulling out when unsure if it is safe to do so.

You may draw a distinction between a motorist and a cyclist mitigating poor road behaviour because of a need to get a move on.

Many would not. We are all road users and we ought all to abide by the same rules.

I get the feeling you'd like this thread to come to an end now. That being so, it may be a good idea to stop digging and put that spade down.

Keep cycling and keep enjoying it.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
And I would have accepted the blame because I knew I was in the wrong. Unlike this driver who thought cutting the corner was perfectly fine.
What if you were in no position to take the blame; you would be OK with your harp & halo or oerhaps your pitchfork; what about the driver? He will be reliving that scene, not for the next few days or weeks but for the rest of his natural life.
That is no excuse for breaking the law

I was on a Speed Awareness course yesterday and we were relayed a story....

A driver friend of the instructor is currently in Walton jail for killing a cyclist. The driver was not speeding and proceeding through a green traffic light and hit the cyclist who had red light jumped. The drivers life has understandably been ruined and he is now on suicide watch.

The driver was on the phone.

A hands free phone.

This is a most unusual tale and doesn't sit well with your later post that the charge was 'Undue Care'.

Green light, hands free, jailed for undue care? I fear the person running the course may have been smoking a hyperbole pipe.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but this doesn't add up.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
This is a most unusual tale and doesn't sit well with your later post that the charge was 'Undue Care'.

Green light, hands free, jailed for undue care? I fear the person running the course may have been smoking a hyperbole pipe.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but this doesn't add up.

I agree. Given that motorists hardly ever get a custodial sentence, even when they kill someone and are entirely at fault, I think there is more to this case that we know.

Top Bottom