Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I wasn’t accusing you of making it up, honest! :hello: I just like to look at other cyclist’s video’s sometimes – and you hinted you had a youtube channel but, unlike some posters on here, there was no link in your footer... thanks for posting – I shall enjoy browsing your channel later:cheers:

No problem,this wasn't even the worst incident.

Yes I did have a go.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
For Google is God. :rolleyes:

As is someone you've just met?:wacko:

This is a most unusual tale and doesn't sit well with your later post that the charge was 'Undue Care'.

Green light, hands free, jailed for undue care? I fear the person running the course may have been smoking a hyperbole pipe.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but this doesn't add up.

I had exactly the same thoughts.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

I was on a Speed Awareness course yesterday and we were relayed a story....

A driver friend of the instructor is currently in Walton jail for killing a cyclist. The driver was not speeding and proceeding through a green traffic light and hit the cyclist who had red light jumped. The drivers life has understandably been ruined and he is now on suicide watch.

The driver was on the phone.

A hands free phone.

The point of the story? The cyclist is never at fault, and nor should they ever be,.

A green light does not mean the junction is clear and that you can blithely go on about your business.

/edit - I realise you know this.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
As is someone you've just met?:wacko:
Maybe you would like to re-read post #279 before you make a tit of yourself again?
Post #279
Maybe, there is, I dont know. It was the point about blame I was trying to make, and that we (as cyclists) need to get away from this victim culture we have. Road tax or not, we have as much right to be there as the tin boxes. Except we are not surrounded by 2 tons of anticrumple zones and airbags, or have the kinetic energy of a shell fired from a tank (not even downhill).

And for those on here that know me, will know that as a self professed 'petrol head', this might be a surprising POV.
?????????????????
blue_tit_300_tcm9-139623_v2.jpg

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Hey, I'm late to the party.

Matthew, from your original post -and I want to be clear -the driver sounds like a nasty piece of work to me, and certainly shouldn't have reacted that way. However, like life, some things aren't clear cut (and this isn't to say you acted incorrectly or that you're wrong). I think when you make comments that may aggravate a situation -and I certainly consider what you said certainly wasn't bad but could cause a response as evidenced by what happened -you can get bad experiences.

Again, what you said shouldn't cause such a reaction in a reasonable person, but clearly the person wasn't reasonable. One way to avoid such situations is, to put no finer word on it, bite your tongue. For example, if I see Mike Tyson in the street, I could easily go up to him and tell him he's a no good ear biting cheat who beats women -note I could (and I would arguably be correct). Would I? Heck no! While there's no law against doing that, and Mike Tyson shouldn't beat me to a pulp for simply expressing my opinion, I think clearly it's a very, very bad idea. Maybe imagine every driver is Mike Tyson? After all, who knows who a driver is and their mental state anyway?

Having said that, clearly there are times where someone's actions elicit a strong Anglo-Saxon invective and a less than gracious description of what they are doing if they put you in danger. I'd be surprized if there's anyone on this board who hasn't done that at some time or another, and I think it's very understandable. But from your description, it sounds like this isn't the case -again, I'm not excusing the behaviour of the driver, but sometimes it's easier to not give reason for a confrontation -you can't assume everyone around you is reasonable. You're now at the stage where you are considering dealing with the police and possibly other time consuming issues, let alone the possibility of dealing with this unreasonable person again.

Again, I want to state clearly what you did was not wrong to a reasonable person, but you have to be prepared for the consequences from unreasonable people. It's your choice.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It is so stressing not saying anything. I passed a runner today who was running on the road right besides a wide section of pavement. He was holding up about 5 cars and the woman directly behind him looked a little bemused by what he was doing.
In the back of my mind I had the past videos where another cyclist has shouted abuse at runners for being in the cycle lane. Of course I wasnt going to abuse him but saying "Its safer on the path" went through my mind.I decided to play it safe and just say nothing.

I also had two incidents today where two cars beeped me. The first seemed to be a bit cheery so I ignored it, and the second was through a set of traffic lights with cars waiting to turn right. In both situations I ignored them.

On the upside, I had a little chat with gavroche as I left the police station. And then a cyclist jumped the lights right in front of us.

I was on a Speed Awareness course yesterday and we were relayed a story....

A driver friend of the instructor is currently in Walton jail for killing a cyclist. The driver was not speeding and proceeding through a green traffic light and hit the cyclist who had red light jumped. The drivers life has understandably been ruined and he is now on suicide watch.

The driver was on the phone.

A hands free phone.

The point of the story? The cyclist is never at fault, and nor should they ever be,.

I didn't think hands free phone use was illegal in the UK. Is this new?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Time for my bed, will we be at 400 posts by morning?

Reactions: 4F

green1

Über Member
Hands free whilst driving as long as its completely hands free, ie not pressing a button on phone to answer etc is legal.

green1

Über Member
Yup. Its only in the case of an accident the poilce will go through your records to see if you were on the (hands free) phone at the time of the accident to try and prove a distraction / lack of concentration.
You have proof of this? Are they going to start fitting mikes to car cabins to see if a driver was distracted by a passenger?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Something which I picked up on when talking to the police officer yesterday, is the talk about witnesses. She said that they will have to view the footage and find witnesses for a public order offence.
The thing is, how to the police trace a person from just a picture of their face? A picture of my face isnt on the police database so how would they contact me if I was a witness to a crime?

Top Bottom