Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Something which I picked up on when talking to the police officer yesterday, is the talk about witnesses. She said that they will have to view the footage and find witnesses for a public order offence.
The thing is, how to the police trace a person from just a picture of their face? A picture of my face isnt on the police database so how would they contact me if I was a witness to a crime?
Did you point out that the vehicle appeared to be uninsured?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh folk, keep it civil please :ninja:

Reactions: 4F

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I did mention that someone online had spoke of it (I didnt give any names) and she said that they normally do checks and research on the cars and drivers history first of all.

They do indeed. The tussle I had with a guy - the officer actually recommended we press for an investigation rather than just 'logging it' as the driver had previous. In the end the driver got a talking to, I was told not to 'raise my hand' again (apparently that was agressive - no fingers used, so it was OK for the driver to drive at me - office just shrugged), but the driver had another notch on his record - won't look good when they can pin something on him next time.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
That's 'assault and battery'. When he touched you he committed battery. Contrary to popular belief, assault is not a physical attack - it's merely a verbal threat that makes you apprehend an attack. When he touches you, that is battery.

In England and Wales, battery is usually a summary offence, but if tried, it can be punishable with imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or a fine not exceeding level 5 (£5000) on the standard scale, or both. Of course, usually it doesn't work out anywhere near that nicely, and these idiots usually get off with a warning.

Are you a Lawyer?! You seem to know lots about these things.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It is so stressing not saying anything. I passed a runner today who was running on the road right besides a wide section of pavement. He was holding up about 5 cars and the woman directly behind him looked a little bemused by what he was doing.
In the back of my mind I had the past videos where another cyclist has shouted abuse at runners for being in the cycle lane. Of course I wasnt going to abuse him but saying "Its safer on the path" went through my mind.I decided to play it safe and just say nothing.

I also had two incidents today where two cars beeped me. The first seemed to be a bit cheery so I ignored it, and the second was through a set of traffic lights with cars waiting to turn right. In both situations I ignored them.

On the upside, I had a little chat with gavroche as I left the police station. And then a cyclist jumped the lights right in front of us.

Well done on holding your tongue. One of those three people could have been a nutter and caused you some bother. You're best off ignoring them.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I was told not to 'raise my hand' again (apparently that was agressive -

I guess it's to do with 'appearance' I used to do quite a bit of martial arts, years ago, not the types with sporting applications. We were taught to be aware that any situation COULD be subject to CCTV.
The typical 'stance with your fists infront of you looks aggressive. Open your hands and turn the palms towards your opponent and the appearance of who's the aggressor changes, yet your hands are in basically the same place.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
In my case it was a 'what' jesture - flat palm, raised back towards motorist, but, anything can be misread, especially be a nutter with a short fuse.

True. I gave a WBlueVM a thanks-thumb-up yesterday as he waited behind me on a bend and then gave loads of room in his pass. My thanks? He slowed and shouted "yeah f--- you too you c---". I had to do a double take to make sure he wasnt talking to anyone else, but no-one else was around. He drove off, I rode on bemused...

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
True. I gave a WBlueVM a thanks-thumb-up yesterday as he waited behind me on a bend and then gave loads of room in his pass. My thanks? He slowed and shouted "yeah f--- you too you c---". I had to do a double take to make sure he wasnt talking to anyone else, but no-one else was around. He drove off, I rode on bemused...
I regularly give people thumbs up (more times than I have incidents with people). I have never had one misread a gesture though. If someone did, I would probably apologise and just say that I was thanking them for the overtake/waiting through a pinch point/junction.

Linford

If they can prove you were eating an apple, having an argument, smoking a fag, twiddling with your CD player.... it all amounts to the same thing.

A lot of big companies have had them taken out of all company cars. O2 included.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/hand...using-death-by-dangerous-driving-6837319.html

Does that include long drives or rides being broken by messaging on CC or FB

How can one function without being connected to a place they can have a bit of a ding dong if they are prohibited from having one in real life on the road :crazy:

PK99

Legendary Member
I regularly give people thumbs up (more times than I have incidents with people). I have never had one misread a gesture though. If someone did, I would probably apologise and just say that I was thanking them for the overtake/waiting through a pinch point/junction.

Observe and learn:
People like positive signals/messages - it makes them feel good
People don't like negative signals and messages - the feel threatened

Top Bottom