Confrontation with a motorist: I did nothing wrong this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I have a helmet cam but in the short time I used it I never had the urge to show footage publicly. My purpose for having a head cam, two actually, one front and one rear facing, was in the event I was knocked down to record any footage of the driver and vehicle that did it. Simply this. I can't think of anything more tedious than downloading and trawling through hours of boring footage of me riding to and from work or town, to post a few seconds of some idiot or thug having 30 seconds of fame. The first time I was KD'd I didn't have one. The second time it was dark and cold, I didn't have it on as footage is very poor in low light.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I had a rare incident tonight. Woman in a Fiesta tried to overtake me in a line of crawling traffic. I simply maintained a solid primary and kept ahead. When we got to the roundabout, she sat behind revving her engine. 5 years ago I'd have probably started yelling. But now I just remained calm and confident, thinking 'you'll have to wait until it's safe for me to pull out and that's that.'

She'll probably get home and feel bad about it. Whereas I've got the moral high-ground and chips for tea.

Zen.

Crankarm

Guru
I had a rare incident tonight. Woman in a Fiesta tried to overtake me in a line of crawling traffic. I simply maintained a solid primary and kept ahead. When we got to the roundabout, she sat behind revving her engine. 5 years ago I'd have probably started yelling. But now I just remained calm and confident, thinking 'you'll have to wait until it's safe for me to pull out and that's that.'

She'll probably get home and feel bad about it. Whereas I've got the moral high-ground and chips for tea.

Zen.

You didn't give her a quick hard stare ....................... ;).

Maybe she liked the look of what she saw ....... and was just trying to get your attention:rose:?

400bhp

Guru

Zen.

You know what, this zen thing works.

I had a late start this morning so was in the 8am rush hour. I go through my usual PITA one way system which has a crappy cycle lane that you can't use due to it being right against a line of parked cars and a blind corner. I didn't take the lane enough and had a car squeeze past. As it was rush hour he joins the back of a queue 200 yds ahead.

I knock on his window - I can see he has become agitated as he winds down the window. I simply say words along the lines of "please give me more space next time, I have to ride further out there becausae it is a blind bend and I can't use the stupid cycle lane because it's too close to park cars..etc etc...cycle lane is crap." He says fair enough.

Job done I reckon.

We should all remember that we are all only trying to get somewhere-whether that be by car or bicycle.

[about 200yds further on I nearly get t-boned with a driver turning right across the lane..I didn't, hopefully that was karma]

400bhp

Guru
I think this has gone on for long enough now guys. 17 pages seems a bit too much. The incident has been reported and the police are certain that they can push for a Public Order Offence.
I understand that some of the things I said and did may have provoked him and that I need to learn when to not say anything.

We hope not to see similar incidents posted on here again.:smile:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Blimey, now I'm collecting them. I was turning right in this case, and had to hit the anchors.

PK99

Legendary Member
. I simply say words along the lines of "please give me more space next time, I have to ride further out there becausae it is a blind bend and I can't use the stupid cycle lane because it's too close to park cars..etc etc...cycle lane is crap." He says fair enough.

]

Matt: observe and learn! Inform & educate, don't assume malice and confront

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Matt, I have replied to your posts before and I do think you sometimes seem to over react sometimes, that said if that driver had reacted in the manner you described he would have been been spitting out teeth after having chewed my D lock and to hell with the consequences.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I have a helmet cam but in the short time I used it I never had the urge to show footage publicly. My purpose for having a head cam, two actually, one front and one rear facing, was in the event I was knocked down to record any footage of the driver and vehicle that did it. Simply this. I can't think of anything more tedious than downloading and trawling through hours of boring footage of me riding to and from work or town, to post a few seconds of some idiot or thug having 30 seconds of fame. The first time I was KD'd I didn't have one. The second time it was dark and cold, I didn't have it on as footage is very poor in low light.

Actually I quite like my camera footage,I was just looking over an old channel and some footage and it made me laugh...I also noticed I was coughing a lot at the time,I had some sort of chest infection.
I have an appointment (soon) with the hospital as im told I have lung damage.It's spooky watching those videos where I was coughing all the time.I remember what it was like at the time.If it's going to go tits up when I have a go,I cant run scared.You have to make a stand sometimes,whatever happens.

View: http://youtu.be/86PV-ooBYOE

The most famous video of the lot,two major incidents in six commutes,this being the closest.On the old channel of course.I was breathing quite heavy on this one,showing my lack of fitness.(Illness)

After this near collision I rethought what sort of handlebars I would use as my hands were nowhere near the brakes at the time.

If the driver had made more of this I would have gladly discussed this further,I was so irate at the time.I'm not going to succumb to aceholes all the time.

I like the camera on the helmet thingy as it shows more up.Will work to fit the camera on my helmet instead of the handlebars.

Linford

Matt, I have replied to your posts before and I do think you sometimes seem to over react sometimes, that said if that driver had reacted in the manner you described he would have been been spitting out teeth after having chewed my D lock and to hell with the consequences.

And then we go back to behaviour modification. If you were using a cam, that isn't the sort of incident you would be looking to run to the police with ?

The OP made the mistake of uploading multiple clips showing himself in a worse light as a road user in the way he cut a blind corner at speed. The driver whilst behaving like a total cock did cut the corner, but had a line of sight through it, and didn't put anyone or himself at risk with his actions. Perhaps that is why he had such an extreme response as he didn't like being lecured too by someone he perceived to be far less experienced to make that call (and as it happens, it looks that way as well)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
And then we go back to behaviour modification. If you were using a cam, that isn't the sort of incident you would be looking to run to the police with ?

The OP made the mistake of uploading multiple clips showing himself in a worse light as a road user in the way he cut a blind corner at speed. The driver whilst behaving like a total cock did cut the corner, but had a line of sight through it, and didn't put anyone or himself at risk with his actions. Perhaps that is why he had such an extreme response as he didn't like being lecured too by someone he perceived to be far less experienced to make that call (and as it happens, it looks that way as well)

I still maintain that the diver couldn't be 100% sure there wasn't another cyclist to Matt's right, and slightly behind.

Linford

I still maintain that the diver couldn't be 100% sure there wasn't another cyclist to Matt's right, and slightly behind.

He would have seen them though as he traversed across the front of Matt as he approached and then entered the road. He would have made a course correction if that had been the case IMO

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Talking about behaviour modification, I bet that driver had no idea at all he was on camera.

I've often seen drivers visibly back off after I've reached around to the rear view camera and pretended to adjust it, whilst apparently ignoring them myself.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
He would have seen them though as he traversed across the front of Matt as he approached and then entered the road. He would have made a course correction if that had been the case IMO
Whether or not, still very poor practice.
I know I've been in the situation where I've seen something only on the second or third glance. Much better to be driving/riding where you're supposed to be.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
If there was a cyclist to Matt`s right and slightly behind - he would have been on the pavement! If you meant further down that side road, why not say that? If you are cycling and I am making a big assumption here that you do ride a bike, have you ever made a course correction when you have spotted, almost too late, a pothole, twig, plastic bag, etc? Look carefully again at the video and the car''s passenger door mirror, can you see the reflection of an alien with his phaser on stun?

Top Bottom