Confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coyote72

I decided to get myself a pair of new cycling shoes, so went to my LBS to purchase.

I went for a pair of Sidi shoes which were £158.99 a little more than other internet shops but they have overheads to pay.

However I came home and had a look on there internet site and was shocked to find the exact same shoes advertised at rrp £140 and on offer at £119. I sent an email asking why I paid much more for them and was told that they have not had time to update there site, so basicaly this is the new price.

Will I be within my writes to take them back for a refund in full as they have not been worn and are still in box.

Andrew 14

I am going to say no unless they are faulty you saw what you were buying if you buy stuff of the Internet you can send it back within 14 days in line with distance selling regulations

Globalti

Legendary Member
Strictly speaking the shop invited you to pay £158.99 and you offered that.

However I would just go back, request a refund and buy them somewhere else because I'm tight.

Moral of the story: never check prices after buying something!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I don't think you have any legal right for a refund assuming the shoes are okay, you've simply agreed a contract of buying the shoes for that price. You can return online purchases under DSRs (as above) and highstreet shops tend to refund unused purchases, but they don't have to. You've really got to check prices these days, you can usually find things a fair bit cheaper with a very quick check on google shopping.

Quite a few big shops sell things cheaper online with 'web exclusive' prices, some will quickly match the price if you mention it others will refuse to match their web price. I've asked before been told no and then ordered it online on my smartphone while still in the shop, just for my own amusement.. it is silly though. Was this an independent or chain store?

OP
OP
C

coyote72

I spoke to them and they gave me a £20 refund and changed there internet website, so I am happy now.

They are an independent shop.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
You have every right to take something back for a full refund even if it is not damaged. You dont need to give any reason for the return.
If you wanted to be cheeky, you could have returned the shoes and then bought them online from the company. They couldnt decline the sale due to you returning the shoes in the first place because you havent done anything wrong and they would still be making a sale.

If you are that concerned about the prices they charge, get onto Trading Standards. However, most shops have different prices online than in-store. Its just a fact of life and a way that they make money.

classic33

Leg End Member
As has been said, "you went you saw you bought". You then found the same thing cheaper after buying it. The shop is within its rights to refuse you a refund, unless the item you bought was faulty. You do have time to check that they are fit for purpose, before returning the item. The shop also has the right to inspect the item to make certain the damage wasn't caused by you, before issuing a refund.

Just because the internet price is different doesn't mean you automatically receive the right to get the differrence back, after buying.

Finding anything you buy cheaper, after you have paid for it, is easier these days. Happens to me more than I like.

The days of "The customer is always right" are long gone. The customer, however remains just that, a customer. One who might take their business elsewhere.

classic33

Leg End Member
You have every right to take something back for a full refund even if it is not damaged. You dont need to give any reason for the return.*
If you wanted to be cheeky, you could have returned the shoes and then bought them online from the company. They couldnt decline the sale due to you returning the shoes in the first place because you havent done anything wrong and they would still be making a sale.

If you are that concerned about the prices they charge, get onto Trading Standards. However, most shops have different prices online than in-store. Its just a fact of life and a way that they make money.
*Are you absolutly certain on that part?

Circumstances when customers do not have a legal right to a refund, repair or replacement
Customers do not have a legal right to a refund, repair or replacement from you if they
  • accidentally damaged the item
  • misused it and caused a fault
  • tried to repair it themselves or had someone else try to repair it, which damaged the item
  • if they knew it was faulty before they bought it
  • if they decide they no longer want the item (for example it's the wrong size or colour, or does not suit them).

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
*Are you absolutly certain on that part?

Circumstances when customers do not have a legal right to a refund, repair or replacement
Customers do not have a legal right to a refund, repair or replacement from you if they
  • accidentally damaged the item
  • misused it and caused a fault
  • tried to repair it themselves or had someone else try to repair it, which damaged the item
  • if they knew it was faulty before they bought it
  • if they decide they no longer want the item (for example it's the wrong size or colour, or does not suit them).

Hmm, not so sure, and I had a shop!

'Invitation to treat' is the classic legal phrase, the law had to be updated when shops started actually letting customers fondle goods before paying. It really did all used to be like Open All Hours :smile:

redcard

Veteran
You have every right to take something back for a full refund even if it is not damaged. You dont need to give any reason for the return.

I believe so. I might not be exactly correct so dont quote me but that is how I understand it to be.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales...bought_e/returning_goods_bought_in_a_shop.htm
I have worked with Trading Standards in the past (test purchasing of alcohol/fireworks/cigarettes). And I learnt that as long as you said something along the lines of "I am not happy with the product" they cannot refuse you a refund.

The link you quoted includes the sentence "If you bought something in a shop and then just change your mind about it, you do not have any legal right to return the goods".

chqshaitan

Guru
my understanding if if you bought an item on the premises,you inspected it before paying unless the shop has a return policy, you are unable to return it for refund unless its faulty.

Just because you change your mind, does not count unfortunately.

(dsr) doesnt apply, ie, distance selling regulations

classic33

Leg End Member
Hmm, not so sure, and I had a shop!

'Invitation to treat' is the classic legal phrase, the law had to be updated when shops started actually letting customers fondle goods before paying. It really did all used to be like Open All Hours :smile:
All covered by the Sale of Goods Act.

Top Bottom