Considering jacking in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's me. I haven't ridden one of my bikes since early November. Due to the weather,the disgusting state of the roads and horrendous driving standards. Combine all three and it gives me a fear of either being knocked off my bike or falling off. Have any of you felt the same and if so would you seriously consider not riding again? I know the weather will improve,but as for the other two factors,no chance! This business of motorists not signalling now is worrying to me. I've had drivers cut across my path like i'm not there. They just don't bother to indicate their intentions these days. It's either through laziness or thinking it's a bit old fashioned to drive courteously. If i jack in road cycling it won't be the end of me turning pedals. I have a turbo trainer which i hardly use and my old static/exercise bike which i've been using quite a lot recently.
In the last few years my fear of being knocked off or hitting a pothole has increased immensely. I've gone from being blase about such incidents happening to thinking this could be my last ride,before i head out into this dangerous situation i see. When i was living back home with Mrs Accy she'd see me off as i headed out for a ride. I seriously felt like a pilot going on a bombing mission,or something like that. I used to think "this could be the last time we see each other". We often hear it said that cycling puts 20 years on your life. I've always replied "Yes,just as long as you don't get killed while out there". So i ask the question. Is it worth all this stress,worry and anxiety just so i/we can ride a bike?

Mods. If you think this thread is more suitable for the personal matters section please move it,but please don't move it to a lesser viewed section such as Advocacy and Cycling Safety.

Drago

Legendary Member
I love the danger. Keeps me sharp.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5177850, member: 45"]You know the answer. If you want to keep riding, find somewhere you're comfortable doing it and just get on with it. You've been on here long enough to not need other members start with the basic responses to you.[/QUOTE]
Yes but my question is have other posters considered jacking in cycling because of the reasons i am,or for other reasons. Not should i find somewhere considered safer to ride a bike. Like i said in my footnote. If the mods consider this subject a bit personal issues type then move it. It's a serious question,so maybe it's not light hearted enough for the Cafe section..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5177866, member: 45"]And you know the responses to the points you've made which led you to asking the question. You don't need to ask it. And you don't want it answered. You want people to persuade you to cycle.[/QUOTE]
Ok,then there's no need to reply if you don't want. I've always said that if you don't ask you won't find out. No i don't want people to persuade me to cycle. I actually want some to say "yes,i've thought about stopping cycling",then say why.

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes, I have and I still go out cycling although less often. Last September's off and the lucky escape is still in my head.

johnnyb47

Guru
This time of the year is probably when it's at its greatest for cyclists to give it up. In the summer the weather is good, it's stays light up the 10pm ,when you can you take an evening ride in daylight with less car's on the road. Going into Autumn you still have the motivation from the summer months but ,this time of the year though, I think were all waiting for the Weather to improve. Hang in there Accy and stay positive buddy :-)

alicat

Legendary Member
What happened? Has it put you off cycling,or at least slowed you down quite a bit?

I was going downhill on my road bike on a narrow country lane when a van came round the corner. I braked but realised I wasn't going to stop in time. I had visions of hitting the van head on, like I nearly did when I was 20 or so. I managed to squeeze through a gap between the van and the hedge and hold it together until I was past the van. Then I lost control and ended up skidding along the gravel and grass in the middle of the road.

The physical damage was not too bad (six trips to the minor injuries unit before they declared all the gravel removed and the wound to my elbow healing); however it was one off/near miss too many caused by interface with motor vehicles.

To be honest, it has put me off. I still cycle but mainly to the shops/station etc.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I love the danger.

I find it strangely therapeutic to vent my anger at nobber drivers. Assuming of course that it's a little old lady on an outing to the hairdresser and not a car load of knuckle draggers on their way to score some illegal substances :whistle:.

I am in partial agreement with the OP though as it is becoming more and more unpleasant out on the roads for everyone, not just cyclists. It's what happens when you live on a small overcrowded island which has been governed by incompetent thieving bar stewards for several decades.

The one that really kills cycling for me though is our Scottish weather (the west in particular). We can't string 2 dry days together (today being a prime example; lashing it down and windy - again). The wind seems to be a constant feature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom