Considering jacking in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do you own a car? If so chuck the bike in or invest in a rack and go somewhere quiet.**
From my house there are basically 3 options. The nicest/best one takes me along a narrow(ish) road ie cars on opposite sides slow right down to avoid clipping each other.
Now.....a large house builder is trying to get permission for 1200 houses on the adjoining land. If that happens I will not be doing that route.
I sometimes throw a bike in the boot and drive somewhere quieter.**

Drago

Legendary Member
That's the moment you beat your chest and scream your greetings to the Gods of Valhalla, because you're on you're way to meet them having died a warriors death.

Do you own a car?

Oh! That's torn it!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Now.....a large house builder is trying to get permission for 1200 houses on the adjoining land. If that happens I will not be doing that route.

That's happening on one of my routes.The road was already a bit dodgy due to potholes and poor driving standards,but soon it'll have about 30 drives leading onto it as loads of houses are built. That's another road crossed off my diminishing list of routes!

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I noticed near Corton some horrendous pot holes and having seen program midweek it is worrying the state of the roads ..
I think weather seems to be turning bit nicer now so there's a positive ..
Thing with cycling is can stop and return really at any time, it doesn't have to be conclusive ..
Some days I really don't feel like going, so what I do is a smaller ride at my favourite location such as the beach and my love for cycling gets recindled ..

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I must be very lucky living here. Most drivers are fine. They don't hassle cyclists, or drive at breakneck speeds. Sales people (who do not live here) tend to be the worst drivers , with the very occasional van driver.

I would put your bike in the back of your car if you have one and go somewhere quiet to ride. If you can't or won't do that, and you really don't want to ride a bike again then don't.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I was a little nervous after the bike/Mercedes interface incident last year. My shoulder is still sore and I fear won't get a lot better. I did ride a fair bit once I could last year. I mean, how many times had I cycled past that junction before without anything untoward happening? How many times since? I know it only has to happen once but the odds are in our favour I think.

I am struggling with motivation of a different sort this year. I think I might just be fed up and through with cycling.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Having just suffered what could arguably be about as close to a life changing injury without appearing to have any serious long term effects (although it is still early days) I feel I am maybe in a position to comment on this thread.
For me, my incident has not dented my confidence or desire to cycle one bit. In fact, I am hoping I can manage to cycle to work the first time I go back during my recovery.
My position does not match yours though, and over the years you have mentioned several serious medical conditions and injuries that alone would be a reason to consider your safety on a bicycle and added together has got to represent a big argument for you not to ride a bike.
I don't know you well enough to be the judge of this but are you not now at the point of being like the stubborn pensioner who has kept driving for years after they should sensibly have packed it all in? A cyclist does not represent the same danger to others as an unsafe motorist but you also have a responsibility to think about yourself. In fact, given the terrible state of affairs in hospital A&E at the moment it would be downright immoral to continue riding knowing that there is a high possibility you will become a further burden on the services already stretched to the limit - www.itv.com/news/anglia/2018-03-09/patient-dies-due-to-dangerous-overcrowding-in-northampton-a-e/

Accy, you probably know your condition much better than anyone else but, from memory, you have multiple conditions due to previous injuries and medical conditions and age that seriously affect your mobility, vision and reactions as well as making you prone to more serious consequences. It might be time to put the bike away and that is nothing to be ashamed of if it is the right decision.

johnnyb47

Guru
Another thing I've done ,is to change my cycling habits during the Winter months. I personally prefer my Road bike and enjoy long road rides. This really only happens though from Spring to Autumn. I always feel safer for some reason during these months mixing with the main roads and cars. This time of the year bike rides, usually mean riding in the dark after work and as Accy says I also don't like cycling in heavy rush hour traffic with bad roads especially in the dark. A road bike with skinny wheels can take a serious beating with all the hidden pot holes covered in standing water, and I just feel so vulnerable at the mercy of passing motorists in the dark winter gloomy evenings.
A couple of years back though, my ex brother-in-law appeared at my house with a surprise present. He had been working tirelessly building me a up a new bike! It's a Boardman framed mountain bike with quality components fitted. ( I was speechless with gratitude when he gave it to me :-)
It's been a God send this winter to use. I've turned my winter habits to a " wanna be" mountain biker. Fitted with good lights and a decent set of mud guards I've ditched the main roads for the muddy lanes were there's virtually no traffic. It's been great fun, and not having to worry about pot holes ,traffic has helped me ride right through the darkest of winter. As the weather and lighter nights improve my Road bike will soon make an appearance again which I'm really looking forward to.
To continue cycling through the winter , I personally have just changed my cycling habits to get the most out of it for the best enjoyment :-)

pjd57

Veteran
I stopped in my late 20's. Bike was done, too busy with work and family , so most other things got pushed out the way.

Got back into it in my 40's.
Now since I stopped full time work almost 7 years ago I have more time for it.

Last year I made a big decision , I got rid of my car.
Cycling is my main means of transport, which I like.
I still enjoy planning and having the big days out , and because I am on the bike most days , the big runs are far more enjoyable.

But if you the OP aren't getting pleasure from it , well don't do it for a while then see if you miss it.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Move to a different area less traffic
one bike with bigger volume tyres
suspension
Problem is natural winter 'avoidance' leads to further avoidance ~ just get out and ride
As above take time out & see if you miss it

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
In fact, given the terrible state of affairs in hospital A&E at the moment it would be downright immoral to continue riding knowing that there is a high possibility you will become a further burden on the services already stretched to the limit -

I agree with most of your post Skol,but not the above. A&E's are full of people who are there through either no fault of their own or self neglect. YOu could Say that i should jack in walking incase i "have a fall" and end up burdening the NHS.

I see your point . I have a couple of routes that I take which take me down lanes but these are becoming busier as vehicles try to avoid traffic jams. These lanes will become a lot busier ,when the new planned housing estates are built. I was trying to think how they were planning on feeding the roads in from 1000 houses plus business park.
There was a cycle route made years ago which was made years ago as part of the Sustrans scheme, but you have to get to it first and then it is mainly gravel so you have to chose the right bike.
The question of people not using their indicators I blame on the people that teach driving instructors. I was amazed to hear my son's FIL say that he failed his driving instructor's test for using his indicator too often . Who does it hurt ? It's not going to wear the battery out. I look at it as the motorcyclist's life saver, look over your shoulder before making the manoeuvre. It at least let's a person know of your intension if you haven't noticed them !

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As above take time out & see if you miss it

3 months out of cycling and yes i do miss it,but not as much as i thought i would. I could go back to swimming but that has its problems as well. I was only thinking about this yesterday while out walking. I used to do laps obsessively. Either 20,30 even 60,but they had to be done without interruption. That's something which is hard to do in a public swimming baths.Others using the pool would just swim in your path,either on purpose or not knowing how serious i was treating my swim.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
3 months out of cycling and yes i do miss it,but not as much as i thought i would. I could go back to swimming but that has its problems as well. I was only thinking about this yesterday while out walking. I used to do laps obsessively. Either 20,30 even 60,but they had to be done without interruption. That's something which is hard to do in a public swimming baths.Others using the pool would just swim in your path,either on purpose or not knowing how serious i was treating my swim.

Something (not so) new & (but slightly) different then?
https://thewfa.co.uk/

Top Bottom