Considering jacking in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Create a new day, just for yourself, that nobody else knows about

classic33

Leg End Member
As @Inertia says stop being so negative.

Why don't you just walk up there now and ask reception when the quiet times are. It's really not very hard to figure this stuff out!
You never ask, you'll never find out. And asking doesn't cost a penny.

Hit coming home from work, at a junction I passed over a dozen times a weekend, upto then. Many more since then. I wasn't going to let one idiot put me off. I don't think I pass that junction any different after being hit. Cars still cut across without warning, or just pull out without warning. I can't change that.

johnnyb47

Guru
Well this weekend is supposed to be relatively warm. Why don't you get the bike out either today or tomorrow and have a nice quiet bike ride out somewhere and stop off for a bite to eat. You never know , you might meet someone else doing the same thing and end up having a good chat with them and come home feeling good having enjoyed it.
On the other hand you could just sit at home watching the rubbish on tv over thinking stuff. It's all to easy to get stuck in a rut buddy. I've been there myself all to often. You just need to make that little extra effort to banish the negativity and take each day as it comes in life. Gone on I dare you lol. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed :-) :-) A bike ride today and a beer or two tonight down at the local will do the world of good :-) :-) :-)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well this weekend is supposed to be relatively warm. Why don't you get the bike out either today or tomorrow and have a nice quiet bike ride out somewhere and stop off for a bite to eat. You never know , you might meet someone else doing the same thing and end up having a good chat with them and come home feeling good having enjoyed it.
On the other hand you could just sit at home watching the rubbish on tv over thinking stuff. It's all to easy to get stuck in a rut buddy. I've been there myself all to often. You just need to make that little extra effort to banish the negativity and take each day as it comes in life. Gone on I dare you lol. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed :-) :-) A bike ride today and a beer or two tonight down at the local will do the world of good :-) :-) :-)
I know it sounds like i'm making excuses,but the roads are covered in salt and with the rain we're getting it's turning to mush. Even if i was back in my old cycling routine,i'd still avoid such stuff. Maybe i will though,when the salt has finally gone.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yeah you should definitely jack it in.
I dare say TC was rolling her eyes up in despair when she typed that, but I'd agree with her in the literal sense. If you feel unsafe when you are out nothing anyone can say will make you feel better about it and feeling unsafe will probably make you so.

I gave up motorcycling after many years for exactly that reason, the perceived dangers bothered me as I got older and killed any enjoyment and my riding ability suffered because of it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I know it sounds like i'm making excuses,but the roads are covered in salt and with the rain we're getting it's turning to mush. Even if i was back in my old cycling routine,i'd still avoid such stuff. Maybe i will though,when the salt has finally gone.
Once you've jacked it in, you can stop worrying about all this stuff. Win-win.

classic33

Leg End Member
41 years ago "a problem" meant that swimming at swimming pools stopped. Didn't stop me swimming and I know I'm no-where near as good as others.

I got a workaround the fact that swimming pools were now off limits. Meant that other water based activities were still available.

Skydiving isn't that bad. I know of one woman who claimed on her parachute guarantee.

johnnyb47

Guru
Your bike is there for you to enjoy buddy and it can always be washed down if it gets dirty. Cycling is not just great for physical fitness but its been a God send for helping me feel mentally better about myself. I work long hours and when I'm at work I'm happy , focused and mentally stimulated. When I'm off though, I can really feel my mood going backwards. I have no children and very few family to hand so it can get very quiet around here at home. Watching "You can't pay we'll take it away" with Mrs Jones being evicted and her 4 kids followed by adverts about death insurance is not really my cup of tea for enjoyable afternoon.
To enjoy life nowadays usually costs money "which I haven't got to spend frivolously" but I do have my health and cycling costs virtually nothing more than a cup of coffee and slice of cake at your favourite cafe,
We only live once, and once its gone its gone. Sod the worrying about getting the bike dirty ,and get out there and enjoy it. When your long and gone your bike will no doubt be recycled tin cans serving its purposes somewhere else on this planet. Just take everyday on its merits buddy and enjoy it for what it is :-) :-)

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist , do what YOU want to do, and more to the point don't do what you don't want to do. Life's too short.
If you feel like riding your bike then do it when and where suits you. There are no rules, unless you're a slave to the velominati nonsense (which I realise are supposed to be a bit of fun, but some people......:rolleyes:.........).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Due to the weather,the disgusting state of the roads and horrendous driving standards. Combine all three and it gives me a fear of either being knocked off my bike or falling off....... In the last few years my fear of being knocked off or hitting a pothole has increased immensely.
Too dangerous. I'd find such surfaces even harder to negotiate than pot holed roads. It's the old depth perception problem that puts me off riding on surfaces with bumps,lumps,holes etc.
That'd be good . no holes and no traffic or other obstacles,

In fact, given the terrible state of affairs in hospital A&E at the moment it would be downright immoral to continue riding knowing that there is a high possibility you will become a further burden on the services already stretched to the limit....
I agree with most of your post Skol,but not the above. A&E's are full of people who are there through either no fault of their own or self neglect. YOu could Say that i should jack in walking incase i "have a fall" and end up burdening the NHS.
I am merely making comments based on points from your own previous posts. You seem pretty certain that due to your impairments you are not confident that you can cope with routine, everyday conditions and obstacles. That being the case, it would be irresponsible of you to risk those situations unless you can find a way to manage the problem, either through training or avoidance, especially considering the potential injuries.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A trike might be the answer to falling off or losing control when hitting potholes.

An offroad trike such as this one would give the option for riding away from that pesky traffic!

Mountain Trike.jpg

Top Bottom