Considering jacking in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
3 months out of cycling and yes i do miss it,but not as much as i thought i would. I could go back to swimming but that has its problems as well. I was only thinking about this yesterday while out walking. I used to do laps obsessively. Either 20,30 even 60,but they had to be done without interruption. That's something which is hard to do in a public swimming baths.Others using the pool would just swim in your path,either on purpose or not knowing how serious i was treating my swim.
Most pools have early morning lane swimming. Go out at 6am and get in the fast lane. @screenman seens to manage big swims without complaining about the burden of others :smile:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was amazed to hear my son's FIL say that he failed his driving instructor's test for using his indicator too often

Ok,this is something i don't think i've mentioned on CC before and not many other places, as i felt a bit of a failure at the time and still think i failed regarding this. In 1993 i paid to train as a BSM driving instructor. It wasn't for me. I found the driving bit ok,but the theory difficult. On one of my lessons,the instructor asked why i indicated for every maneuvere i made. He said it wasn't necessary if there weren't any pedestrians about,or other vehicles. I said that maybe we as drivers couldn't see pedestrians but they might be out of view and wanting to know what our intentions were. I added that it didn't cost anything to flick a switch and it was good practise to indicate at every opportunity. He disagreed,saying it confused the situation. After that i gave up my attempts to become a BSM instructor. I just thought,and still do,that it was/is so wrong to not indicate when maneuvering a vehicle.

johnnyb47

Guru
It could just be that your having a bit of a downer on life in general at the moment. We all have them from time to time. It's been a particularly long cold winter this year and we're now at the end of it hopefully. Give it a few weeks time when we can feel the sun on our backs again and your enthusiasm for cycling will no doubt lift again :-)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Something (not so) new & (but slightly) different then?
https://thewfa.co.uk/
It's the cardiovascular exercise i need,no matter what form it comes in,rather than just having to cycle. Cycling is/was just another chapter in my life. I've had cycling time out before. From about 1983 to 1998,if i remember rightly. Ok,i did a few rides in between those years,but not enough to call myself a cyclist.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy - it sounds like you've lost confidence and your self-esteem. How about finding the nearest soup-kitchen or charity for the homeless and volunteering? I'm serious about this

You're right Rocky,i have lost those things. I've mentioned before about animal charities,but i put myself off by thinking about the horrendous sights i'd see. Selfish maybe,but it just wouldn't be good for my state of mind.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You can always go back to bed after. Check the timetable
Yeah but suppose others think about going that early to avoid pool congestion. The pool could be busier in the early morning than later in the day. You can hire the side of the pool,which they'll rope off for you,but i think it's about 25 quid an hour.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Yeah but suppose others think about going that early to avoid pool congestion. The pool could be busier in the early morning than later in the day. You can hire the side of the pool,which they'll rope off for you,but i think it's about 25 quid an hour.
From your posts here you need to stop being so negative. Every suggestion (pretty much) is met with a reason not to do it.

Top Bottom