Construction workers stop traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4190923, member: 76"]I live in the country, it happens every single day around here.[/QUOTE]
I shall remember to give daily thanks that I do not live, drive, or ride anywhere around Cheddar.

Stephenite

Membå
If i was the OP, and i mean you @mustang1, i would move. Move to the north of Norway, and then you could do whatever the.., whatever you wanted. If you own property in London (i can't remember where you live tbh, but it seems like it's London) i am certain you could sell up, quit your job, buy a large house beside a fjord (and on a road - important) and swear at passers-by for the the rest of your natural life. Actually, this sounds like a damn good idea... :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've always found construction site banksmen to be extremely helpful and friendly to me when I'm out on the bike. They seem far less enthusiastic about impatient car drivers who try and squeeze past a reversing concrete truck when the gap is closing, to save twenty seconds on the school run. It's actually blooming difficult to get those trucks down narrow roads, especially backwards, round corners, with parked cars everywhere.

I have just submitted the required information to build a very modest house development in a quiet urban street with nine houses in it.
I have to provide for all parking and off-loading on site, put in an access for this, wash the wheels of all vehicles if they get muddy. I have restrictions on working times and on times of vehicle movements and also have to specify a route to site to ensure no adverse affect on traffic at peak times. And paid them £97 to approve my plan for this.

But all of us can apply to the authorities to dig up, block or otherwise restrict or close the highway. Once they grant you this then surely you must have the power to shut a road if you are able to dig it up or need to arrange access for plant or whatever. Again they want money to let you do this even if you are putting right any damage. I think you should even have consent for a skip in the road outside your house.

But that's what I'm saying. The traffic wardens happily ticket car drivers but I've seen them numerous times walk right past the big lorries that are parked illegally.
Funny that I once got a ticket on double yellows in London, not from a warden he was ok (in so much as he said whilst hes not there), but a camera, however I had no choice as as some of the crates were 1/2 a ton or so and I had to hi-hab them off. Having informed the office I didn't pay the fine either, and no I wasn't parked on the pavement, they are not designed to support the weight of trucks and services can be damaged, I also had power to have parts of the national grid or local network shut down, if a delivery would be close to overhead cables, electricity when its wet can jump quite a distance, and did many delivery to substations ect, it only ever nearly happened once.
As for controlling traffic, anyone can for the sake of safety, I also wish car drivers here would stop blocking the lane to the house as a fire truck could not get up if need.

Top Bottom