Consumer Advice Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Too Tyred

My indoor cycling turbo trainer broke in December over Christmas, after using it for 7 months with no problems. The company in question returned my email on 29/12/17 and I'm still yet to have a satisfactory outcome to the problem.

At first I had no problem with customer service, they asked what was wrong and had me send a video. Then they said they'll fix it so they paid for me to send it back to them. That took while 20/01/18 and they received it on 25/01. The first red flag was that they emailed to say yep we've got it, what do you want us to do with it. Seriously. I said it was down for a repair. They forwarded my response to the supplier and I sent weekly emails checking on progress.

On 05/03 they finally replied (stating no response from the supplier) saying it could not be fixed but they would offer me a replacement or credit my account so I could buy something else from them. By now my original trainer was not available but they were offering me slightly more expensive models (and a lot of crap). I found my current trainer on their website in stock so I queried the availability and they said I was right; I could have that one (the package was slightly different).

On 12/03 they said I should expect the trainer on 21/03. A bit of a wait but no problem, it was on the way. Cue delays on the 14th, 21st and 23rd, the latter a few days before it was supposed to be at my house. On 23/03 I got an email saying it was out of stock. This lined up 19 further emails because firstly the out of stock email was wrong but it was delayed further while 06/04. They said I can wait, have in-store credit or switch models, so I switched models. on 26/03 I was told it would arrive on 10/04. I was a bit miffed that this was longer than the other replacement but I was getting a better model.

I waited in all day Thursday and it didn't come so last night I asked where it was and they replied this morning with 'out of stock'. Offering me a replacement (again, slightly better model) or store credit. The replacement is due for delivery in another 2 weeks so I'm very annoyed.

I've told them how unacceptable it is and that I want to take my business elsewhere - but I can't because store credit will put me out of pocket (because I'll then have to pay for a trainer elsewhere) and quite frankly I don't want to spend a penny in the company. They can't get the new one to me any quicker and even though I've asked for cash back I know they won't. I really don't know what to do!

I think they're honouring all of their legal obligations but I hope I'm wrong. I think I was pretty lucky in the first place to have them offer to repair and then replace when they couldn't fix it. I think consumer act states if it should have lasted, which it should, they can repair, replace or give credit back which is exactly what they're doing.

Should I just bite the bullet and agree to their replacement even though it won't be here for another 2 weeks? This customer service has been staggeringly bad but what can I do about it? I just wish they'd given me my money back (£250) and stop offering me £450 trainers because I don't trust that one will ever turn up.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
First question. Did you pay by credit card? My one and only (thank goodness) experience similar to yours took only one phone call to my Credit Card Company (Tesco) for my money to be refunded, within a week. Not particularly relevant in your case, but, it was evident to me, during the conversation with credit card provider, that the company in question was, shall we say, “known to them”. Good luck.

keithmac

Guru
Even if you've got the funds available buy it on a credit card and just pay the first statement off in full.

It's a pain but the protection offered by the card companies is worth it.

Debit card transactions have very litle recourse.

OP
OP
Too Tyred

Too Tyred

Thanks guys.

Talking about credit card cover is good advice for the future but it aint gonna help me now.

Yes they (Athleteshop) are offering to send out a brand new replacement RRP £450 but on sale at £301 which is £50 more than I paid for the one that broke. There's no doubting it's a good deal. The problem is that this is three now that they have said they will dispatch, that they say are mere days away from delivery only for me to have to get in touch after delivery date and to be told it's sold out. I have zero faith that they will send this new model out!!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Thanks guys.

Talking about credit card cover is good advice for the future but it aint gonna help me now.

Yes they (Athleteshop) are offering to send out a brand new replacement RRP £450 but on sale at £301 which is £50 more than I paid for the one that broke. There's no doubting it's a good deal. The problem is that this is three now that they have said they will dispatch, that they say are mere days away from delivery only for me to have to get in touch after delivery date and to be told it's sold out. I have zero faith that they will send this new model out!!

I thought someone would have been along with good ideas. Best I can offer (other than the CCard advice for the future), is a phone call to you local Trading Standards and/or Citizens Advice, they will at least point you in right direction. Another possibility, does your house insurance include Legal Advice? If yes, give them a call, after all, it is “free”. Once again, best of luck.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think Athleteshop are a UK company so not sure whether the same consumer protection rules apply? Not sure a small claims court or trading standards will be able to do anything

Edit, looks like they are Dutch...maybe @User259 could help (he may be in Belgium though so apologies in advance ;) )

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Credit cards companies and small claims won’t help, they are offering the OP their money bank. He just wants an even better deal.

Top Bottom