Consumer Advice Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Credit cards companies and small claims won’t help, they are offering the OP their money bank. He just wants an even better deal.

Unless I have missed something, they are offering a credit note, that is not money back.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I don't think Athleteshop are a UK company so not sure whether the same consumer protection rules apply? Not sure a small claims court or trading standards will be able to do anything

Edit, looks like they are Dutch...maybe @User259 could help (he may be in Belgium though so apologies in advance ;) )

Dutch, we are stile in EU, I would have thought, Consumer Law applies (for now).

OP
OP
Too Tyred

Too Tyred

Credit cards companies and small claims won’t help, they are offering the OP their money bank. He just wants an even better deal.

No they're not. If they were I'd have taken it and ran!

They are offering basically a voucher that I can only spend with them. So given they're not sending me out a trainer, I'd have to spend at ~£300 on equipment and clothes then go and use my own money elsewhere to buy another trainer. So I'd A) be out of pocket and B) Probably order 50 Jerseys which never turn up.

OP
OP
Too Tyred

Too Tyred

Get it sent to their nearest shop, along with a copy of the agreement.

@Two Tired, worth a read and it seems familiar
http://road.cc/content/forum/232023-athlete-shop-warning

And they don't like Debit Cards
https://skinflint.co.uk/?qlink=athleteshop.co.uk&subi=infos&kuerzel=athleteshop-uk

Mental story. Looks like I'm really up the creek without a paddle here.

I presumed the sale price was because we are into spring and people are road riding not doing indoor training. They have been listed over the winter more expensive.

OP
OP
Too Tyred

Too Tyred

I don't think Athleteshop are a UK company so not sure whether the same consumer protection rules apply? Not sure a small claims court or trading standards will be able to do anything

Edit, looks like they are Dutch...maybe @User259 could help (he may be in Belgium though so apologies in advance ;) )

You're right they're Dutch, I didn't know at first. The website is .co.uk and they have a big warehouse in Dorset. I thought I'd be sending the broken trainer there so I got a shock when the return address was in Holland.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't know what that means
Their registered company address is a PO Box. Normally at a Post Office sorting office.

classic33

Leg End Member
@Two Tired, you may not have even bought it from them.
HOW DOES IT* WORK?
  1. Subscribe at TradeTracker
  2. Advertise Athleteshop on your site
  3. Customer clicks on your site
  4. Customer buys from Athleteshop.co.uk
  5. TradeTracker registers the sale
  6. TradeTracker pays you
*It being their system

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It doesn't look good. Though when you say

though I've asked for cash back I know they won't

It did say in classic33's linked stort:

"When I asked for a refund I was informed it would be 5-7 days for it to go through — of course, seven days later I had to give them a nudge, before eventually getting my money back."

So, he at least did end up getting his money back.

The fact that yours was a seven months on product failure probably makes a refund slightly less straightforward, tho I would imagine you'd still be entitled to one, and awarded one in a small claims court. The problem of course being their being Dutch. That makes it all a lot less straightforward.

You say you've 'asked' for cash back. Personally I think I might try being a bit less asky, a bit more demandy. And as others have said, have a think about how you might be able to access proper legal advice, whether from insurers or Citizens Advice or whoever. And I'd focus on getting a refund. Because as you say, the hardware seems to be receding rather than coming closer.

Good luck.

Top Bottom