Contact lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Anyone wear them? I did a few years ago and have almost decided to get some again,going for eye test and consultation next week.
Have astigmatism so need the 'toric' ones which are now available in daily disposables,I used to have monthly disposables so need to know how good the modern ones are.
Have already started to look at the trendy cycling glasses I'll be able to wear
cool.gif

taxing

My mum uses dailies and swears by them, she has a pair of glasses but never wears them (and she can't see without contacts/glasses).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wear disposable dailies.
Perfect for cycling. Though do advise wearing cycling glasses.
Contact lenses are not for everybody though and some people do have trouble putting them in/taking them out. They can also cause drying of the eyes.

But...
Have a go, see if they work for you.

Every 2 years I have an eye test then get my lenses (3 months worth, 90 pairs) from www.contactlenses.co.uk they are £20 cheaper for 90 pairs then if I got from my optician.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I wear daily disposables and they are great.

Only problem is now that I'm an old git, I am longsighted as well - and can't read maps etc with my lenses in :sad:

Laser surgery next

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I wear disposable dailies.
Perfect for cycling. Though do advise wearing cycling glasses.
Contact lenses are not for everybody though and some people do have trouble putting them in/taking them out. They can also cause drying of the eyes.

But...
Have a go, see if they work for you.

Every 2 years I have an eye test then get my lenses (3 months worth, 90 pairs) from www.contactlenses.co.uk they are £20 cheaper for 90 pairs then if I got from my optician.
I'll be fine with putting them in/out as I wore them for a few years when in my 20's,just started to get fed up with variations in vision quality
every time I put my new monthly pair in.Am hoping that they have improved over the years and I can get more consistency with them.
Saw a lovely pair of Nike sports glasses yesterday should have bought them ready.
Will probably go down the optician route for now then change to on-line stuff when confident about them,cheers.

I use them sometimes; I found them not that great for the computer screen, as you say variation in vision quality, my optician told me that this was normal. I find them great on the bike though no problem with vision there, as you also say plenty of cool sunglasses out there and you've not got the fear that if they fly off your face that you'll be totally blind (well me anyway I'm pretty short sighted). Contacts are also useful in rain/ mist/ poor light when you can take of the sunglasses and still see, again you can't (or I cant) do this with prescription spectacles ;)

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I use them sometimes; I found them not that great for the computer screen, as you say variation in vision quality, my optician told me that this was normal. I find them great on the bike though no problem with vision there, as you also say plenty of cool sunglasses out there and you've not got the fear that if they fly off your face that you'll be totally blind (well me anyway I'm pretty short sighted). Contacts are also useful in rain/ mist/ poor light when you can take of the sunglasses and still see, again you can't (or I cant) do this with prescription spectacles ;)

I'm the same as you Hlab,can't see a bloody thing without glasses so have decided to go down the contacts route again.Saw some lovely prescription sunglasses yesterday,went to enquire and when I told him my prescription it was a big no no,far too blind for the nice fashionable ones
angry.gif

Riding in the rain is the biggest pita for me,so this should cure that problem too
smile.gif

Globalti

Legendary Member
One word of advice - when you do go for a test fitting, make sure the optician washes his hands before sticking his fingers in your eyes or you'll end up with a stinking cold a couple of days later. Guess how I know?

PBancroft

Despite having somewhat dodgy eyes I don't currently need glasses (Duane Syndrome, doesn't affect my sight, only my ability to look to certain angles). If I did I don't think I could bring myself to wear contact lenses - hate the idea of touching my eyes.

wafflycat

I wear contact lenses periodically. I choose between daily disposable contacts or specs dependent upon my mood of the day :smile:

When cycling at night, in the rain, contacts are much better than specs, as I found out the hard way on one particular wet Dunwich Dynamo...

BenScoobert

Anyone wear them? I did a few years ago and have almost decided to get some again,going for eye test and consultation next week.
Have astigmatism so need the 'toric' ones which are now available in daily disposables,I used to have monthly disposables so need to know how good the modern ones are.
Have already started to look at the trendy cycling glasses I'll be able to wear
cool.gif

I have a severe astigmatism, a disposable doesn't exist to correct my vision, so I have a Rigid Gas Permeable lens and have done for just over 5 years. they cost me about £200 a pair, over 5 years I've lost and replaced 3 lenses, so about £500 in all for 5 years. Which by my reckoning is a little cheaper than a disposable.

They tell me they are the hardest and most uncomfortable to get used to, I have never worn a soft lens so I can't compare, but after 4 days I was wearing them for 16 hours a day and have been ever since.

NO WAY WOULD I GO BACK TO GLASSES

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd see if they have a test pair of lenses available first. With my astigmatism RGP's provided better sharpness -but the downside is that they can get very uncomfortable with grit in the eye.

Maz

Guru
I wear Dailly disposables, but only for when riding in heavy rain conditions, otherwise I wear glasses.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I have a severe astigmatism, a disposable doesn't exist to correct my vision, so I have a Rigid Gas Permeable lens and have done for just over 5 years. they cost me about £200 a pair, over 5 years I've lost and replaced 3 lenses, so about £500 in all for 5 years. Which by my reckoning is a little cheaper than a disposable.

They tell me they are the hardest and most uncomfortable to get used to, I have never worn a soft lens so I can't compare, but after 4 days I was wearing them for 16 hours a day and have been ever since.

NO WAY WOULD I GO BACK TO GLASSES

I'd see if they have a test pair of lenses available first. With my astigmatism RGP's provided better sharpness -but the downside is that they can get very uncomfortable with grit in the eye.
Tried the rigid ones a few years ago but they weren't for me,already used to the soft ones by then so the comfort issue was too much .

I wear Dailly disposables, but only for when riding in heavy rain conditions, otherwise I wear glasses.
That was my initial thought Maz,buy 30,60,or 90 pairs and just use them as and when,opticians prices are quite steep unless you go down the DD route and get 3 months at a time.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
One word of advice - when you do go for a test fitting, make sure the optician washes his hands before sticking his fingers in your eyes or you'll end up with a stinking cold a couple of days later. Guess how I know?
I'll be putting them in myself G,had enough practice.

Despite having somewhat dodgy eyes I don't currently need glasses (Duane Syndrome, doesn't affect my sight, only my ability to look to certain angles). If I did I don't think I could bring myself to wear contact lenses - hate the idea of touching my eyes.
Amazing how many people said that to me years ago,it's really easy once you've had a bit of practice.

I wear contact lenses periodically. I choose between daily disposable contacts or specs dependent upon my mood of the day :smile:

When cycling at night, in the rain, contacts are much better than specs, as I found out the hard way on one particular wet Dunwich Dynamo...
This is my plan too,wet weather or sunny days so I can wear some nice sunnies,do you buy yours in bulk or have a scheme with your opticians?

Top Bottom