Continental brakes - Wrong way round

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levarg

Regular
I'm based in the Czech Republic and the brakes on bikes here are the wrong way round. i.e. right lever is rear brake, and left is front. Took a little bit of getting used to at first.
Anybody know why they are like this?

USA is the same. Maybe it's just us?

It assumes that you are right handed, making an offside turn ( continental left) and that you prefer to operate the rear brake.
No real sense in the setup. Personally I prefer dominant hand on front brake.

OP
OP
levarg

levarg

Regular
It assumes that you are right handed, making an offside turn ( continental left) and that you prefer to operate the rear brake.
No real sense in the setup. Personally I prefer dominant hand on front brake.
I agree. Surely it is better for right-handed people to operate the front brake with the right hand. Personally I do a lot more braking than I do hand signals.

It is fun if you try doing a tail wheel skid not knowing they are the wrong way round. I did it years ago and wondered why the front wheel skipped about madly. :eek:

User66445

It can be a nuisance. Bought the Brompton in the UK then had to swap the brake levers as I was so used to right hand back.

Oz follows the British pattern, so it could be a hangover from the days of Empire more than anything else.

Old jon

Guru
Brazil is wrong way around as well. I found out riding the bike in the shop, before I bought it.

Motorbikes are all the right way round, I think. Why should pedal bikes be different?

Top Bottom