Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Vectran vs Continental Gatorskin Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
28mm. They are £34.99 from CRC but you get £10 discount as a new customer if you spend over £50. I'll think I'll wait and decide when the Michelin are back in stock.

Funny enough on my car I have for summer Michelin for my summer tyres and Continental for winter.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
28mm. They are £34.99 from CRC but you get £10 discount as a new customer if you spend over £50. I'll think I'll wait and decide when the Michelin are back in stock.
They may not come back into stock. How about looking at Rubinos?

https://www.evanscycles.com/vittoria-rubino-pro-control-g-isotech-700c-folding-road-tyre-EV338363

Last edited:
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I notice these folding tyres are commonly available in bulk eg 10. I was wondering if there was an issue for storing them for years long term? Do they deteroriate?

vickster

Legendary Member
I notice these folding tyres are commonly available in bulk eg 10. I was wondering if there was an issue for storing them for years long term? Do they deteroriate?
What's the point?
What happens if something better comes along or if fashions change again, for example, roadbikes rarely came with 28mm tyres a couple of years ago?
For the sake of saving a couple of pounds?

GilesM

Legendary Member
As a former long term user of Gators (now trying GP4000s) what i ALWAYS found was when new, Gators have to be run for a couple weeks or so to rough off that shiny new surface. Once done, i never had problems with them.
They do require some vigilance when new :whistle:...but that passes IME.

Thanks for your comments, I'll persevere for a few more weeks, it was the first couple of rides that I had a few non grippy moments.

Reactions: gbb
Try Schwalbe Durano Raceguard - I swapped out my Grand Prix 4 Seasons as I found the sidewalls too flexy and inevitably on every ride at some point I thought I had a puncture. I didn't (well, I did occasionally). I've run the 28mm Schwalbes for several thousand miles now - no punctures, comfortable ride, no sign of wear at all on the front, a little squaring off on the back.

If you've got the space you could try Schwalbe Marathon Supreme folding - ran these 32's all last summer, comfortable, light, fast, no punctures.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have gatorskins on my winter road bike, whilst they don't have the best grip, I've certainly experienced worse with other brands. I use Conti Grand Prix on another bike, very grippy , not the lightest, but good mile munching tyres. GP4000's are fun, very grippy, light, fast, and reasonable puncture protection BUT they wear out quick...

Top Bottom