Continental Grand Prix 4000S II puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Hi, I had a puncture yesterday, and while out in the rain I rushed to fit new inner tube. By the time i got home the tyre was flat again. Upon closer inspection a sharp tiny piece of stone had embedded itself into the rubber and hit the tube. I thought these tyres were supposed to add an extra layer of protection? Because of this should I replace the tyre, it's a shame because they have plenty of life left in it. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I have been running at 110psi?

stumpy66

Veteran
I wouldn't replace the tyre yet, I normally just pop a drop of superglue into the cut when the tyre is still inflated then deflate it and leave it a while to let the glue set

S-Express

I thought these tyres were supposed to add an extra layer of protection?

Maybe the extra layer of protection wasn't enough? Difficult to comment on the tyre without seeing a pic. 110psi may or may not be the right pressure for you. It's mostly dependent on your weight, the tyre's width/volume and the type of roads you typically ride on.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Maybe the extra layer of protection wasn't enough? Difficult to comment on the tyre without seeing a pic. 110psi may or may not be the right pressure for you. It's mostly dependent on your weight, the tyre's width/volume and the type of roads you typically ride on.
I appreciate that. I'm 15.5 stone. The hole is very small, and the object looked like a tiny piece of stone/glass, it was raining so I did spend that long looking at it. When it comes to replace I might try the 'Continental Gator Hardshell'.

I appreciate that. I'm 15.5 stone. The hole is very small, and the object looked like a tiny piece of stone/glass, it was raining so I did spend that long looking at it. When it comes to replace I might try the 'Continental Gator Hardshell'.
I'm on Hardshells and have had similar p*nctures to the one you describe from glass and flint. I took one tyre out of use as a 4mm wide cut went all the way through, not on the wall either - Middlesbrough glass!

show us a photo of the hole in the tyre ,
2 for the price of 1 inside.JPG outside.JPG

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It may not have happened all at once, little bits can get embedded and then gradually work their way through. When I commuted I checked my tyres weekly and used a small penknife to remove lots of bits and pieces. This was on M+ tyres, on finer rubber maybe this should be done after each ride?

Not sure which message you are replying to MacB but I agree the damage to my tyre was not a 1 off event. I noticed the cut on the outside of the tyre but there was no embedded object. I monitored it over the course of a couple of months and whilst the cut on the outside didn't get any bigger, it initially did not go all the way through. I made that discovery when I had the tyre off for another reason.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Not sure which message you are replying to MacB but I agree the damage to my tyre was not a 1 off event. I noticed the cut on the outside of the tyre but there was no embedded object. I monitored it over the course of a couple of months and whilst the cut on the outside didn't get any bigger, it initially did not go all the way through. I made that discovery when I had the tyre off for another reason.

It was really just a general comment on remembering to check tyres for bits and cuts.

Levo-Lon

Guru
It was really just a general comment on remembering to check tyres for bits and cuts.

This rule applies to all tyres ..bikes cars lorries..
A inbedded sharp will make its way through if given the time.
Its a pain checking cars but a cycle is very easy..and takes all of a minute to check both.

Cronorider

Hi, I had a puncture yesterday, and while out in the rain I rushed to fit new inner tube. By the time i got home the tyre was flat again. Upon closer inspection a sharp tiny piece of stone had embedded itself into the rubber and hit the tube. I thought these tyres were supposed to add an extra layer of protection? Because of this should I replace the tyre, it's a shame because they have plenty of life left in it. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I have been running at 110psi?

I use the same tires, and while they may have an 'extra layer of protection', they are still a very light, performance oriented tire that are great for speed, but need to be ridden on clean roads. Any time I notice glass on the road, I stop, get off, and run my gloved hand around the tire checking for any glass bits that may have embedded.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

The road I use are not great, loads of pot holes and lose material. I will take more care now, and I'll be checking the condition more often. I also do MTB'ing, and a lot of us will grab the bikes and go. Usually maintenance happens when there is a problem.

Top Bottom