Continental Grand Prix 4000S II puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Can I just point out that tyres are not made of stainless steel?

Bad luck for the OP, but the number of threads we get here where someone bought a tyre because they heard it had good puncture resistance and then throw their hands up in horror when they inevitably get one are legion. All tyres will pick up punctures at some time, whether they are the six inch thick ones they fit on farm tractors or the eggshell like performance tyres many of us run.

Shrug your shoulders, check the tread for damage, mend it and ride on.

SJ In my opinion it's impossible to make meaningful informed decisions about which tyres to go for when balancing rolling resistance against puncture resistance because meaningful performance data is absent. So unless one has a wealth of experience, hearsay naturally is taken into account. http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ is good, but as its a private individual's endeavour, it is not as comprehensive as one may wish.

Hoping to be proved wrong..................

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I appreciate that. I'm 15.5 stone. The hole is very small, and the object looked like a tiny piece of stone/glass, it was raining so I did spend that long looking at it. When it comes to replace I might try the 'Continental Gator Hardshell'.

I run Gators at 110psi and trust me, if it's sharp enough a bit of flint, glass, whatever will get through any bike tyre.

I had a thorn get through and cause a slow puncture - it was an absolute swine to pick out of the tyre (needed tweezers in the end), but it's been fine since and I've no worries about continuing to ride on the tyre.

It's one of those things - don't sweat it.

Cronorider

SJ In my opinion it's impossible to make meaningful informed decisions about which tyres to go for when balancing rolling resistance against puncture resistance because meaningful performance data is absent. So unless one has a wealth of experience, hearsay naturally is taken into account. http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ is good, but as its a private individual's endeavour, it is not as comprehensive as one may wish.

Hoping to be proved wrong..................

Argh - (presses hands to sides of head) - my brain hurts

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
It's worth understanding the weaknesses of fabrics like LCP used in GP (and indeed Kevlar).

It is a very strong material which is why it will stop a normal piece of cut glass a couple of mm across (or indeed a bullet if you have a Kevlar vest) getting through. But it is still vulnerable to cuts with anything knife-like sharp which, from the picture, is what has caused the puncture. That's why police need a stab vest instead of a Kevlar one to protect against a knife attack.

It's exactly the same as most fabrics, if you try to push your finger through the material it won't go, but you can easily cut through it with a knife.

4000's are great tyres but are firmly in the race category IMO. My CAAD had them on when I got it, loved them for their speed and grip, but one was destroyed very quickly by a piece of flint, I replaced it like for like but they just can't handle the $hite on the roads around here and subsequently get knackered long before they actually wear out.

I gave up trying to use 'race' tyres round here and have stuck to Gatorskins ever since :okay:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have been commuting on Conti 4 Seasons in all weathers with much success for the last 3-4months. good grip in the wet though just a bit lighter than the Schwalbe Durano Plus i was running on the commuter previously. Durano Plus are almost bomb proof though. but touch wood that i havent had any problems with the Conti's yet.

Argh - (presses hands to sides of head) - my brain hurts
It will have to come out!

gbb

Legendary Member
The rain will often dislodge the detritus at the side of the road, I suspect many more punctures occur when it's been raining and I will often take a line even further away from the edge.
I had a larger slit than that in a gator and rode it for many thousands of miles after, just inserted a patch of emery tape in the tyre to prevent the inner tube forcing itself out the slit...and that's a tyre that was a lot worse than yours Andywinds.

It's all a trade off there are doubtless more puncture resistant tyres out there but there will be a penalty elsewhere, weight, rolling resistance etc.

gaijintendo

Veteran
It may not have happened all at once, little bits can get embedded and then gradually work their way through. When I commuted I checked my tyres weekly and used a small penknife to remove lots of bits and pieces. This was on M+ tyres, on finer rubber maybe this should be done after each ride?
Hehe, I have just got in from picking out glass from my M+s. I quite enjoy it, though I always wonder if I nicked the tube, if it would fire the glass in my eye...
I am totally going to try @stumpy66's glue technique next time - any recommendation for a type of glue?
Also, I just got my first 4000s ever to stick on a spare pair of wheels which are for the express purpose of hoiking out for 100km+ days (I assume it will be a vacation after doing that on M+s) but I am now considering the gatorskins for the back... which is where I had originally intended on sticking the 4000s.
All good food for thought. Cheers all.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Can I just point out that tyres are not made of stainless steel?

Bad luck for the OP, but the number of threads we get here where someone bought a tyre because they heard it had good puncture resistance and then throw their hands up in horror when they inevitably get one are legion. All tyres will pick up punctures at some time, whether they are the six inch thick ones they fit on farm tractors or the eggshell like performance tyres many of us run.

Shrug your shoulders, check the tread for damage, mend it and ride on.
I had read recommendations that these were a good tyre with added resistance to punctures. At least now I can look at something a bit stronger.

Top Bottom