Continental Grand Prix 5000 vs. Gatorskin – who wins?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
GP5000 absolutely, although these are mostly a summer road tyre. Gatorskin's are too slippy in the wet.

A better comparison would be Continental GP 4 Seasons vs. Gatorskin.4 Seasons by a mile.
^^^^This. GP5000s for Summer, GP 4 Seasons for winter or all-year round fit and forgetness.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Lower pressure is faster, proven 13 years ago now.

He’s still trying to catch up…

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What are they like for getting on and off? Some stories say they are a PIA!!
No problem with tubed versions but the tubeless are very tough to get on. I think this is common though for tubeless tyres.

Back to the thread title. Both are great tyres. I've ridden tubed Gatorskins all year round and loved them. I'm equally pleased with riding the Contis, both tubed and tubeless, during drier periods of the year.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I use Conti 5000s 700 x28 (with tubes) all year round on both my road bikes, as does my hubby, with no issues and they are easy to fit as well

vickster

Legendary Member
No problem with tubed versions but the tubeless are very tough to get on. I think this is common though for tubeless tyres.

Back to the thread title. Both are great tyres. I've ridden tubed Gatorskins all year round and loved them. I'm equally pleased with riding the Contis, both tubed and tubeless, during drier periods of the year.
They’re both Conti(nental)s, presumably you meant the 5000s?

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thank you.
I ditched tubeless some time ago, so hopefully I'll have no problems. I'll call in at Merlin tomorrow and get some.
second that, have been popping mine GP5000 28mm tubed on and off new carbon hoops. Get a black sharpie whilst you are at it if you are at all OCD re labels though. The "Contintenal" logo is nicely centred each side of the tyre, but if you have logo at 180* on your rims the "Grandprix 5000 28mm" logo will not line up as a) its slightly off centre on either side of the tyre, and b) on the 5000 and he german flag bit is visible, which itself is not central to the label. the only solution is to black out the logos

see below for details
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/page-837#post-6678769

Top Bottom