What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's a practical thing. Helps with locating punctures by providing a reference point.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I just stick the tyres on the wheel with no thought of where the logo ends up.

Life is too short to be worrying about things like this in my humble opinion.

Tisk tisk. :laugh: The answer is to get a tyre with a really big name printed on the side, then it's easy.

E.g. Maxxis Minion DHRII TR Max Terra 3C - takes ages to read all that. :tongue:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I just stick the tyres on the wheel with no thought of where the logo ends up.

noob-facepalm.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Managed a lunch time fettle today. I've signed up to do the Manchester to Blackpool ride for Christie's and decided that I will most likely want to do it on my Holdsworth as it's very comfortable and my Dawes can only take 23mm tyres.

The Holdsworth currently had 26 inch wheels but I wanted to convert it to 700c for this kind of ride, but be able to swap back for the winter.

Vbrakes will have to be swapped for calipers so after some head scratching and measuring for clearance I have ordered some calipers and 28c tyres for the wheels I have, there will be no mudguards room but I don't run them now on it. Let's see how much faster on the road it ends up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I centre the continental logo with the valve but can see why a logo on the rim opposite this would cause some distress

I might see how they look with Continental above the Z logo, and the gubbins over the writings

Opinions like yours are quite frankly not helpful:laugh: They are the reason the world has gone to hell in a hand cart:okay:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Tried to use a stans no tubes kit to install TL tyres… failed. watched all of their comprehensive vids and tried following to the letter but after the sealant is added and I try to inflate them, they hold no air whatsoever, must have royally screwed up the tape install or be doing something badly wrong.

Going to regroup and have another go at the weekend.

C R

Guru
I might see how they look with Continental above the Z logo, and the gubbins over the writings

Opinions like yours are quite frankly not helpful:laugh: They are the reason the world has gone to hell in a hand cart:okay:
Indeed, next we'll see people turning their bikes upside down to fix a puncture, and everyone knows that way madness lies.

DaveM77

Picked up a new toy for after Ride London Essex. A Cervelo P2 to have a go at Triathlons.
Headset and Forks tightened. Brake blocks put on. Needs a new brake cable for rear but apart from that in very good condition
Will look out for some wheels then a bit of tweaking to the set up and it should be good to go.
Will upgrade bits when needed or when I find bargains

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Right so here is the conundrum. its actually worse that i thought because the GP5000 stick isnt quite exactly opposite each other on both sides of teh tyre. it must be deliberate as both tyres are identical.

Line up continental to Z: side 1 looks fine, but flip it over and side 2 is out of wonk
1646393645653.png
1646393671972.png

The 1/4 turn out option its less noticeable...
1646393745291.png
1646393769179.png

what is best or i could just take a sharpie to the "5000" and the German flag. Its an Italian bike after all

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ordered some loose 5/32 bearings and waterproof moly grease. Popped lower headset bearing off the Ribble and decided to pull the cartridge bearing to bits. Cleaned it up and noticed some pitting on the race, so removed the caged bearings and fitted the new loose bearings, packed with grease and re-assembled. Headset is much smoother now. I do have a Shimano 600 cartridge bearing on order, just in case. These things are like hens teeth, but fortunately they do last. I've three bikes that take the Shimano cartridge bearings. All have 'spare' bearings now, the best bike has a complete headset spare.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well the never ending saga of the brakes is continuing.

My new Hope caliper arrived earlier this week to replace my broken SRAM caliper, and it's a thing of beauty. First order of the day was to offer it up to the mounts and check it fits, that done, I then popped the pads in and popped the wheel in, luckily it all fitted and lined up a treat. So I next looked into the attachment of the hydraulic hose, I'd already cut off the old SRAM hose fittings and cleaned up the end of the pipe, luckily I had enough slack in the hose to not need a whole new line. The first job was to splay open the end of the hose a little with a pick, which I did, then a small brass fitment is pushed firmly into the end of the hose. As I'd been warned, this was a complete mare, it just didn't want to go in, coupled with the fact it was near impossible to get a good grip on the hose itself. After finally getting 2/3 of it in, the worst happened and the barbed end of the brass fitment snapped off.

One of the reasons I went with Hope, was because spares are readily available, so a new one is already on it's way and I've a also ordered some DOT assembly grease, which may help to seat the new one. I'm bloomin annoyed with myself though because it's yet another week with the bike off the road.

IMG_20220305_155704513.jpg

Top Bottom