What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
My oldish Garmin Edge Touring the power button perished / crumbled / collapsed today, looked at various technical ways to fix it, but by using a piece of a cut up /to size 'rubber' (eraser) & some sticky back plastic (well tape) now fixed :laugh:

View: https://youtu.be/yc0dUVHr6ZI

JhnBssll

Guru
Well the never ending saga of the brakes is continuing.

My new Hope caliper arrived earlier this week to replace my broken SRAM caliper, and it's a thing of beauty. First order of the day was to offer it up to the mounts and check it fits, that done, I then popped the pads in and popped the wheel in, luckily it all fitted and lined up a treat. So I next looked into the attachment of the hydraulic hose, I'd already cut off the old SRAM hose fittings and cleaned up the end of the pipe, luckily I had enough slack in the hose to not need a whole new line. The first job was to splay open the end of the hose a little with a pick, which I did, then a small brass fitment is pushed firmly into the end of the hose. As I'd been warned, this was a complete mare, it just didn't want to go in, coupled with the fact it was near impossible to get a good grip on the hose itself. After finally getting 2/3 of it in, the worst happened and the barbed end of the brass fitment snapped off.

One of the reasons I went with Hope, was because spares are readily available, so a new one is already on it's way and I've a also ordered some DOT assembly grease, which may help to seat the new one. I'm bloomin annoyed with myself though because it's yet another week with the bike off the road.

View attachment 633918

Been there, done that :blush: I've got plenty of spare hope barbs for this very reason, let me know if you'd like one sending.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks for the kind offer @JhnBssll, the postage to Germany wouldn't be worth it though. Thankfully a number of the online German retailers stock Hope parts and I've picked up a new one for €3. Just bloomin annoying and I hope it doesn't happen again!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Noticed the Elephant bike front hub was binding after braking today- the brake arm was barely returning. Took it apart to put a little oil on the brake shoe pivot, super satisfying ten-minute job. Might do the same to the rear tomorrow.

Also replaced the battery in my 2012 MacBook Air. First time I've opened it up, next time I go in there will be to upgrade the SSD.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My oldish Garmin Edge Touring the power button perished / crumbled / collapsed today, looked at various technical ways to fix it, but by using a piece of a cut up /to size 'rubber' (eraser) & some sticky back plastic (well tape) now fixed :laugh:

I need to fix the buttons on my Fly6, might have to try this! also the lens is all scratched- might try to clean it up using the diamond polisher at work.

craigwend

I need to fix the buttons on my Fly6, might have to try this! also the lens is all scratched- might try to clean it up using the diamond polisher at work.
Genuinely surprised at how well it works, went for a test ride and the 'button' is better than the old one. Might tidy the edges of the tape up a bit at some point

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Had a spare 45 mins in the sunshine so got the Holdsworth out for a clean, lube and tune up ahead of tomorrow morning's "training" ride.

I need to add some inline cable adjusters to really fine tune the shifting as Its just a little course with the adjuster, but it is good enough. I also need to give the rear brakes a proper adjustment, but I got them acceptable. Even made the effort to clean the pump SQR mount and the gimmicky rehook tool ( a present so it lives on the bike ). Hopefully the cycling spirits will reward me tomorrow.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
New cleats on a pair of road shoes.

Then glanced down the side of the house where I've a few basic bikes under cover (our grasstrack fixies, a Kingpin, my son's orange Carlton and my Pioneer) - :eek:

The wind last week's blown the cover away from the side of the house. So ... bikes out, dried, checked, tyres up and made sure they're OK.

Now I'm sorting putting the cover back into place. After which I've a tub tyre to stick onto a spare TT wheel, along with a new chain onto the NeilPryde Nazaré son no. 2's taking to Belgium in a fortnight as a spare bike.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Had a spare 45 mins in the sunshine so got the Holdsworth out for a clean, lube and tune up ahead of tomorrow morning's "training" ride.

I need to add some inline cable adjusters to really fine tune the shifting as Its just a little course with the adjuster, but it is good enough. I also need to give the rear brakes a proper adjustment, but I got them acceptable. Even made the effort to clean the pump SQR mount and the gimmicky rehook tool ( a present so it lives on the bike ). Hopefully the cycling spirits will reward me tomorrow.

Ok the cycling spirits where not kind, two thorns straight through the tyre at 6km in, at least it was sunny.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Boiler pipes were covered with a badly-fitting bit of MDF and attached with screws so I'd have to unscrew it to get to the filling loop. For ages it's been removed and leaning up against the toilet wall.

Added four button fix fasteners to it and filled the screw holes. Now I have a badly-fitting piece of MDF that I can easily remove. Might glue some trim to the edge or something to make it look a bit nicer one day.

craigwend

IMG_20220306_155547.jpg
Genuinely surprised at how well it works, went for a test ride and the 'button' is better than the old one. Might tidy the edges of the tape up a bit at some point

Tidied up the tape not sure it makes that much difference ;) - though underneath made sure its waterproof as possible

Attachments

• IMG_20220306_155547.jpg
    IMG_20220306_155547.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 6
Yesterday afternoon, the chain was removed, I also took the chain-rings off, to clean throughly, as was the front mech
A good dousing of 'red diesel' around the rear-derailleur, & left to drain/dry overnight

This morning, with a lot of road-muck washed out of the rear-mech, a new chain was fitted

I also pulled both sets of brake-pads to check for wear (discs also examined)

All seems fine now:okay:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
cycliq.png

Did a quick repair this lunchtime with electrical tape and some plastic foam stuff I found. Added a label because I can never figure out which side is the on/off button.

Did start polishing the lens but will need to take more time over it and use some coarser diamond paste to start with- didn't make much impression on the bigger scratches.

Top Bottom