What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Started sorting the Trek out to get it ready to sell.

So,

Sora 2 x 9 bits off and the original Acera 3x7 on,,,

,,but then realised I had no 7-speed chain or cassette in the parts bin:banghead:.

So moved to the brakes and,,,

,,,found one of the callipers was broken :banghead::banghead: .

Spare v-brake arms found and fitted but no pads :rolleyes:.

The joys of fettling ^_^:cry::angry:.

Was going to tape and set up some tubeless wheels but lost any enthusiasm to do it.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
A new set of v brake blocks fitted this afternoon, cleaned wheels, chain & cassette. Looking forward to the end of winter, sunshine & summer, and not having the clean the bike pretty much every other day.

Jaker07

Did a brake fluid top-up (front brake was a bit soft) and replaced the hoods. Didn't do a full system bleed, but gaining the confidence to do so at home vs taking it to LBS. Two lessons learned - make sure you get the exact model number for your hood replacements (8050s won't do if you have 8070s); sanitizer really helps when removing and installing.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Set the track bike up on 92" for tonight's track league at Derby;

PXL_20220222_191849803.jpg

Built two 5 tier heavy duty shelving racks and installed them in the garage. The shelves that fell down have been dismantled and the things that were on them are now on the racking. Garage looks so much neater and organised.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Set the track bike up on 92" for tonight's track league at Derby;

View attachment 632296

Stunning looking bike.

I've just picked up a new bike for my eldest son who is growing like it's going out of fashion. He was happily riding 24 inch wheeled bike 12 months ago, but last time he rode it last year late summer it was getting a bit clown like.

He gravitated towards a bigger frame in Decathlon as he liked the was it felt and as he is still growing and doesn't really ride other than the family rides I have kept my eye out for a bargain.

Ended up with the "Bull" bike from Germany for the princely sum of £35. It looks a bit cheesy bit actually has some nice mid range components on it, it's 3x9 but had a long cage Deore rear derailleur so might switch to 1x9.

Extra advantage it I should be able to use it if need too.

Quick doing round the park got the initial list ready for jobs.

Needs

New Cassette - 9 speed
New chain

I'll out a shorter stem on it, the bars are nice and wide so shouldn't be too twitchy.

Possibly stick some new tyres on it when I spot a bargain, but that's it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had some bontrager mudgaurds for ages but never got around to fitting them, tried them on the vannquish but as im running 28s the clearances were to tight for my liking so had to put the crud mk 3s on which as you know is a right faff getting them lined up again .Comteplating putting the bontragers on either the old boardman or ribble rebuild as im runnign 25s on those .

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Stunning looking bike.

I've just picked up a new bike for my eldest son who is growing like it's going out of fashion. He was happily riding 24 inch wheeled bike 12 months ago, but last time he rode it last year late summer it was getting a bit clown like.

He gravitated towards a bigger frame in Decathlon as he liked the was it felt and as he is still growing and doesn't really ride other than the family rides I have kept my eye out for a bargain.

Ended up with the "Bull" bike from Germany for the princely sum of £35. It looks a bit cheesy bit actually has some nice mid range components on it, it's 3x9 but had a long cage Deore rear derailleur so might switch to 1x9.

Extra advantage it I should be able to use it if need too.

Quick doing round the park got the initial list ready for jobs.

Needs

New Cassette - 9 speed
New chain

I'll out a shorter stem on it, the bars are nice and wide so shouldn't be too twitchy.

Possibly stick some new tyres on it when I spot a bargain, but that's it.

So on further inspection, there was one very well hidden issue from the seller. The back wheel is a 7 speed one with a 7 speed cassette, no wonder the shifting was funky on my test ride when I got home.

Need to keep on the look out for some compatible wheels now :-(

Only thing that will make this a potential win is if the rear wheel will fit into my Holdsworth, it has an OLD of 130 but I think this wheel may fit from looking at it. If so then these wheels can go on the Holdsworth for the summer and I'll keep my eyes peeled.for a new set for the boy.

That will teach to not buy a bike in the dark again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Stripped the turbo as it was making a grinding noise, took as much as i could apart and gave the bearings a blast of gt 85 , seems to have cured it for now .

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So the saga of the soggy/dragging back brake continues. I've had a strong suspicion for a while that there is some air trapped in the caliper that my attempts at bleeding have been unable to shift. I came across a video by Park Tools that advocated removing the caliper completely and letting it hang under the bottom bracket. It makes a lot of sense because the hose drops down to the bottom bracket and then loops back up the chainstay to the caliper, creating a low spot, by removing it I eliminate that and create a straight run to the lever. Luckily I have externally routed hoses so it was a simple job to do.

So I removed the caliper and set up the syringe by using a piece of fencing wire to hold it upright onto the workstand. I then proceeded to bleed the caliper by gently pressurising the syringe and realising it, as well as gently tapping the caliper to hopefully dislodge any errant air bubbles. By the fourth run through some mighty big bubbles started to pop out and into the syringe and I run it through several times more to make sure it was completely bled.

I must admit I'm feeling quietly confident that I might have cracked it. There was certainly a good amount of air from the caliper, as well as the lever. When I'd finished and popped it all back together, the lever felt a lot firmer than I'd felt in a long time and the travel is greatly reduced. Only time will tell, but hopefully that's the last bleed for a few months now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A slightly used SRAM 8 speed 12-16 cassette arrived today - perfect other than Hermes had banged the package snapping 3 teeth off the 13 sprocket. Fortunately, I didn't need the 12 or 13 as I'm using a 13 and 14 instead. The SRAM cassette is lots lighter than the Shimano one. Next job is to alter the rear cassette on the commuter MTB for a slightly closer ratio to suit the canal commute better. I'm using 2-3 gears only and the 'gap' between them isn't ideal being am MTB cassette

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
A slightly used SRAM 8 speed 12-16 cassette arrived today - perfect other than Hermes had banged the package snapping 3 teeth off the 13 sprocket. Fortunately, I didn't need the 12 or 13 as I'm using a 13 and 14 instead. The SRAM cassette is lots lighter than the Shimano one. Next job is to alter the rear cassette on the commuter MTB for a slightly closer ratio to suit the canal commute better. I'm using 2-3 gears only and the 'gap' between them isn't ideal being am MTB cassette
Are you sure its 8 speed and not 5 speed???

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Patched all these tubes

Removed cassette, chain, rear derailleur and chain rings. Replaced a ruined rear tyre with new one. Drivetrain overhaul ready for Spring and Summer. The parts have seen a number of chains and the rear derailleur is broken. No need to try and keep them with a new chain. I’ll be giving my recumbent a good clean whilst the drive train is off.

89924552-E2D1-4492-ADDB-0A240BFE95D5.jpeg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So the saga of the soggy/dragging back brake continues. I've had a strong suspicion for a while that there is some air trapped in the caliper that my attempts at bleeding have been unable to shift. I came across a video by Park Tools that advocated removing the caliper completely and letting it hang under the bottom bracket. It makes a lot of sense because the hose drops down to the bottom bracket and then loops back up the chainstay to the caliper, creating a low spot, by removing it I eliminate that and create a straight run to the lever. Luckily I have externally routed hoses so it was a simple job to do.

So I removed the caliper and set up the syringe by using a piece of fencing wire to hold it upright onto the workstand. I then proceeded to bleed the caliper by gently pressurising the syringe and realising it, as well as gently tapping the caliper to hopefully dislodge any errant air bubbles. By the fourth run through some mighty big bubbles started to pop out and into the syringe and I run it through several times more to make sure it was completely bled.

I must admit I'm feeling quietly confident that I might have cracked it. There was certainly a good amount of air from the caliper, as well as the lever. When I'd finished and popped it all back together, the lever felt a lot firmer than I'd felt in a long time and the travel is greatly reduced. Only time will tell, but hopefully that's the last bleed for a few months now.

View attachment 632694

Well that optimism didn't last long. After successfully bleeding the caliper, I left the bike on the stand with the pads and wheel still out. I went down just now to quickly pop them back in before potentially going out for a ride, when I noticed the right hand side of the caliper is covered in brake fluid. Yep the piston/seal is leaking and it's not good. :angry:

More annoyingly there are no replacement piston/seal kits available on any of the German online retail stores. Not sure what I'm going to do now, the back brake is fubared and no spare parts available, not a happy bunny.

Top Bottom