What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I've got my mates Marlin ebike in the garage at the moment for some tlc. He commutes on it in all weather so it gets a hard time and is regularly in for some work. This time round it was a drive train refresh with a new chain and cassette going on. I gave it a bit of a clean before I started and found the chainring teeth had seen better days...

View attachment 630707
I decided it was a bit futile fitting a new chain with the chainring in this state so have stripped it down and ordered a new one on Amazon for delivery tomorrow.

View attachment 630708
I popped the cassette on and have trimmed the chain to the correct length so it will only take a few minutes to reassemble once the chainring arrives.

View attachment 630709

Annoyingly I found a broken spoke in the rear wheel but don't have one long enough to replace it. I also found this crack in the rim by an adjacent spoke hole, so new wheel time is just around the corner...

View attachment 630710
I see quite a few :cheers: coming your way.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The start for today's 'mend bits' day; the flat I had on Friday's test-ride of new Schwalbe Durano 'Puncture Protection' tyres was caused by a side-wall blow-out after 1/4 of a mile - the seam had gone on both sides. That's in the bin as I've had them on the shelf for a year or so and I put a Vittoria Rubino on instead. I'll have a look at the second new Durano later too see if it has the same issue.

Now onto son no. 2's Boardman Airpro where the rear brake doesn't 'pull' until half-way down and has a distinct 'click' as it pulls. It's either the shifter that's broken, the rear brake, the outer cable or the inner cable, in reverse order of expense. The rear brake is fine on first look but the outer in several places is bunched-up. That'll be replaced along with a new inner and I'll add to this post to see if it solves the problem. If not, a new LH shifter is needed.

@DCLane it could be the cable is a little slack and also the retaining bolt on the caliper needs another half turn to stop the cable slipping. Had it before and took me ages to work it out as it was only moving by a mm or two!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@DCLane it could be the cable is a little slack and also the retaining bolt on the caliper needs another half turn to stop the cable slipping. Had it before and took me ages to work it out as it was only moving by a mm or two!

I'd like it to be that, but unfortunately it's not. Having replaced all the cable outer and inner it's still causing the problem.

A closer look inside the shifter and there is wear where it's catching, and that seems to be the issue. Replacement left shifter needed :sad:

geocycle

Legendary Member
New front wheel on the Thorn. Rim had worn through. Wanted to find a 26” rigida grizzly CSS to put on a SON 28 classic but not easy so bought a prebuilt Ryde Andra with a SON28 dynamohub. As my hub had done a lot of miles I decided a new one was justified. 70g more weight but looks the part. Irritating that fashion has moved on and 26” choice gets more limited.

Here we go , cleaned and preened, the old Modolo/Mavic combo. ready to be fitted to my current vintage build.
Only drawback is that the frame/fork hasn't been painted yet :rolleyes:

Took an hours lunch and swapped the brake pads in my rim brake bike from black general duty pads to red extreme weather pads (will see if stopping power is any different).

After that I removed the bar tape from my Vanquish and moved the hood/shifter up the bar to a more comfortable position and altered my saddle height after fitting an in line seatpost the other day. Very scruffily re wrapped the tape and went for a shake down.

All seems good so I will now take off the rubbish cork tape and fit some nice tape when I have time. Probably once the kids are in bed.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Found out why the mudguards (SKS raceblade longs) were rattling more than normal on last night's commute - one of the metal clips that bolts to the rear brake had snapped under the brake bridge. It's been on there for something like 4 years and was a bugger to remove as the spacer fitted between it and the brake bridge had seized in place. Once off it was a quick swap for one of the spares I have, reassemble and refit the brake callipers then remove again, fit the correct length clip, re-reassemble and re-refit everything.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I fitted a set of cleats to a set of winter boots that arrived off ebay whilst waiting for dinner to cook.

Jobs are lining up, the OH's rear derailleur is unwilling to shift into smallest 3 sprockets. I suspect a sticky cable, so awaiting supplies before i start tackling that, as its still serviceable on the turbo.

Mate has had a new gravel bike delivered. When he got his current road bike, first downhill braking resulted in is handlebars slowly rotating forwards and his nose heading for the front wheel. :laugh: I've offered to pop round with my torque wrench to prevent a repeat.

@Ming the Merciless, where I am it would be getting rolled into the garage and left alone for another day. Absolutely chucking it down and blowing a gale, storm Dudley has well and truly hit with an orange weather warning. Got my kid and Maddie Moat on TV for company. Dads will know about Maddie 😋.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Chain has started jumping off small ring when shifting down usually just before a big hill. Adjusted stop screw on front derailleur but not much as cage soon started rubbing on chain when on largest sprocket. Will need to think what else might be going on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom