What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Changed the tyres on my wife’s Dutch bike and discovered while the stumney archer hub wheel was off the bike that the 3speed shifter is goosed, will only change between 2 and 3 and not go into 1. Will book it into Cowleys in Northallerton to be fixed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New non drive side bearing fitted into the Praxis GXP BB shell on the full suspension MTB. Then found the chain wasn't spinning well. Deffo wasnt rear wheel bearings or the freehub as they had recently been done. Turned out to be the upper BBB jockey wheel. Flushed the cartridge bearings out and regreased.

Fall out from riding it through a few deep streams before Christmas. I'd not checked them since before a wet Penmachno either. Whoops.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Spent my lunch break fettling a colleagues mtb as its been bugging me more than her :blush:.
Bled the rear brake so it now works and replaced both sets of pads.
New chain as the old one was knackered and 'sucking' badly.
Tightened the cones on the rear wheel and inflated the tyres properly.
I sure it'll be the same in a years time but shes happy, safe and I didnt have to make a coffee all afternoon :okay:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Changed the tyres on my wife’s Dutch bike and discovered while the stumney archer hub wheel was off the bike that the 3speed shifter is goosed, will only change between 2 and 3 and not go into 1. Will book it into Cowleys in Northallerton to be fixed.
Just the shifter that's goosed? Which style is it?

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Think so as I had the cable unlinked at the time to remove the wheel and was operating the shifter on its own.

It’s a twist shift one from the 90’s with orange indicators in the viewing window for 1/2/3. It was a skip find.
Ahh ok, I've found SA shifters of most vintages don't like being shifted without cable tension.

I have not played with a twist shift SA so not sure of the cross comparability to the nice thumb shifters. Failing that SJS have twist shifters for less that £10.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Given son no. 2 can't use his BeOne training bike at his first UCI race in March due to the frame not being on the 'approved' list we've had to sort a different 'spare' bike; the NeilPryde Nazaré that sits on our smart turbo is an approved frameset so he'll use that.

To give it a bit better kit I stuck a 3T Ergonova carbon handlebar on with the shifters set to suit his race set-up and some new Velox bar tape rather than the old aluminium NeilPryde bar and very tatty tape, although I still need to sort a different stem. It'll also need a new chain in the next fortnight as the fake KMC I bought via eBay is on it currently.

Given the bike's done under 20 miles on the road with a previous owner, plus about 2500 miles on our turbo, this wasn't a planned decision but it'll have to do. Off to Belgium on the team car roof it'll go. It's going from Zwift racing with the CycleChat C team to an international UCI event :laugh:

And if anyone thinks that Junior teams have a suite of race bikes available for their riders this I hope is evidence it's the opposite.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Took the chain off the Trek as it had a bit of surface rust and ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner whilst in meetings yesterday - on a roll with chain maintenance, just the MTB, and Mrs Cs bikes to do:laugh:.

Scrubbed it with a toothbrush and relubricated and refitted. Still looks janky, but at least I know it's not filled with paste and grinding itself to death.

@DCLane Happen to have any 380mm centre to centre drop bars available that I could buy/swap with you for a 400mm and a 360mm?
Anyone know anywhere them in stock too?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@DCLane Happen to have any 380mm centre to centre drop bars available that I could buy/swap with you for a 400mm and a 360mm?
Anyone know anywhere them in stock too?

Unfortunately not - I've only got a couple of pairs of 400mm Aeronova, a 420mm Ridley and a 420mm NeilPryde. A Google and eBay search threw up a couple of sources but at the £30-40 price bracket.

On another note I've swapped the 110mm NeilPryde stem for a 100mm Zipp one as a temporary measure on our NeilPryde Nazaré until I find a 'nice' one.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I gave the Pilot a fettle this evening as I'm going to try and get out on her tomorrow. Trued the discs up as the rear was rubbing slightly, plugged the Di2 in to charge and oiled the chain. While I was doing so I noticed the BB felt a bit stiff and remembered I'd bought a new bearing for it :laugh: After a few minutes of searching I had located said bearing then removed the crank arm and non-drive side BB cup... It was a bit grim but felt a little better than it had when I'd previously inspected it - I'd flushed it and packed it with fresh grease at that point which has helped.

Anyway, out came the big hammer, vice and Hope bearing tools and then out came the old bearing :laugh: It drifted out fairly easily with a coule of good square whacks.

I cleaned the cup up then carefully wound the new bearing in with the vice and tool, loading only the outer race so as not to damage the bearing surfaces.

Great success. A few minutes later it was fitted back on the bike and the crank bolts had been torqued up. It all feels a little smoother now, hopefully the annoying click has gone too :laugh:

Top Bottom