What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
Also tweaked the gears and had to fettle the bell - it's a Knog Oi Classic and the spring for the dinger doesn't actually appear to be made of spring steel, so with use it's taken on a bend. Seems a bit poor to me for a product that's not at the cheap end of the market.:headshake:
yeah my pinger went bye bye somewhere on the tow path ..shame

JhnBssll

Veteran
Fitted my new 3d printed Karoo 2 adapter to the hardtail. Fitted a little ass-saver style mudguard under the saddle of the hardtail. Pumped up the forks ready for the mornings ride. Changed the cleats on the winter mtb shoes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Today's ride was cut short by a double fairy visit, so I came home and did some sorting out of the wheels in the parts shed. I've got mis-matched pairs and wheels we don't need, with those I do in the wrong place. Mostly sorted, with some that have question marks whether to keep or sell, plus quite a few to be sold.

Doing that meant I put junior race cassettes onto a couple of wheelsets for son no. 2 to use rather than just be sat waiting.

Also, with Sowerby Cycles doing the finishing work (different bottom bracket, cables, chain) to my NeilPryde Bayamo TT bike that's now finished. I'd had a go over Christmas but just couldn't get the cables through the bars and frame. Dura-Ace shifters and brakes, Ultegra crank / front / rear derailleur plus son no. 2's Starley TT disc wheel that he bent in 2020 and my ADR front, with the 100mm ADR as a spare rear. The finished article, having adjusted the seatpost to suit me:

PXL_20220130_140748225.jpg

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Stripped the chain off the Kinesis - it's been sat on the turbo unused for a few months, a symptom of my ongoing lack of motivation. The chain was claggy and sticky so ran through the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour whilst cleaning the cassette and removing, cleaning and regreasing the lower jockey wheel.

Also tweaked the derailleur hanger a touch as it was out of position.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A frustrating morning of DIY failure, but over lunch I then got on with finishing the Forme road bike I collected from a contact of @cyberknight last Monday.
  • The single 50T and ground off 34T chainring were swapped with a different FSA 50/34 set, after a long soaking to get some seized/tight bolts off that my puny arms couldn't shift.
  • Bar tape removed so the loose ends could be re-wrapped after removing the gel pads on each side which was causing them to loosen. Both sides re-wrapped fully.
  • Front Tiagra 4600 derailleur fitted with new outer/inner cable. The hole to thread the gear cable through the frame was completely gunked up and it's taken several days of soaking and cleaning to get the gunk out.
  • All adjusted and pedals on with a road test. All works although imo it could do with a chain link removing which we won't do if it's used as I'll swap the current 175mm 50/34 crankset to a 170mm 52/36 for son no. 2 or myself to use.
Forme.jpg

Plans? Not sure yet as when I collected the Forme my son was trying to fix his Boardman Airpro; whichever could be ready first was going to be used the next day for training. He got the Boardman done whilst I was in Derbyshire, giving me a bit more time rather than an overnight rush job.

However, having found out his BeOne can't be used in a UCI race in March (not an 'approved' frameset :eek: ) he'll have to use his Cervelo, with our turbo-sat NeilPryde Nazarê as a back-up. The Forme therefore might end up on our smart turbo for a bit since one of the bikes is off to Belgium early.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A frustrating morning of DIY failure, but over lunch I then got on with finishing the Forme road bike I collected from a contact of @cyberknight last Monday.
  • The single 50T and ground off 34T chainring were swapped with a different FSA 50/34 set, after a long soaking to get some seized/tight bolts off that my puny arms couldn't shift.
  • Bar tape removed so the loose ends could be re-wrapped after removing the gel pads on each side which was causing them to loosen. Both sides re-wrapped fully.
  • Front Tiagra 4600 derailleur fitted with new outer/inner cable. The hole to thread the gear cable through the frame was completely gunked up and it's taken several days of soaking and cleaning to get the gunk out.
  • All adjusted and pedals on with a road test. All works although imo it could do with a chain link removing which we won't do if it's used as I'll swap the current 175mm 50/34 crankset to a 170mm 52/36 for son no. 2 or myself to use.
View attachment 629061

Plans? Not sure yet as when I collected the Forme my son was trying to fix his Boardman Airpro; whichever could be ready first was going to be used the next day for training. He got the Boardman done whilst I was in Derbyshire, giving me a bit more time rather than an overnight rush job.

However, having found out his BeOne can't be used in a UCI race in March (not an 'approved' frameset :eek: ) he'll have to use his Cervelo, with our turbo-sat NeilPryde Nazarê as a back-up. The Forme therefore might end up on our smart turbo for a bit since one of the bikes is off to Belgium early.
sounds like it needed more work than i was expecting, given that i hope it was ok price wise ?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Straightened bars with front wheel, not quite straight after last weeks fettling, and just enough out to be annoying. Also fitted new all metal left hand friction bar end shifter after current one had a plastic bit crack and kept loosening as result. Wasn‘t going to replace cable but found it was frayed at derailleur end, so fitted new gear cable as well. New bar end lever has lovely feel. Then went for lunch bike ride.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A bit of mixed fettling today: To start with I wanted to charge the batteries for a rear light in anticipation of a ride tomorrow but when I opened it up the clips holding the two halves together snapped off.:sad: The one I use on the Raleigh (same type - a Planet X Phaart Bleep) also broke a clip when I opened that up intending to use it instead.:wacko: After some thought, a couple of rubber bands made of old inner tube seem to hold it together firmly enough so we'll see how that goes.

Later I got the bike out to just clean and oil the chain. While giving it a bit of a check over the pivots for the front brake arms seemed a bit sticky so I've cleaned and regreased them, and thought it would be a good idea to do the rears as well.

Top Bottom