What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Ãœber Member
Look at you lot with all these shiny parts 😂

Been working on the saga that is the Gazelle again today. It's certainly lived a life over the last 40 odd years so getting things apart is problematic.

I have removed the chain guard for now as it was broken and replaced the two missing spoke on the front wheel. This now needs some truing but currently doing regular sprays of wd40 on the nipples.

I have fitted a 20t rear sprocket upgrading from the 18t it's a heavy bike and it's not flat in my town.

Fitted the marathon plus and new tubes.

Cleaned both hub brakes.

Will probably fit a new chain when I source a new chain case but the current one seems serviceable.

Need to work out the gazelle bottom bracket.

Finally need a new non driveside but for the rear axle as the existing one with pretty much stripped.

Not even had chance to bring my £15 rod brakes Portuguese bike in for an assessment yet to it out in the rain.

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_210109.jpg
    IMG_20220203_210109.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 8

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I gave the Pilot a fettle this evening as I'm going to try and get out on her tomorrow. Trued the discs up as the rear was rubbing slightly, plugged the Di2 in to charge and oiled the chain. While I was doing so I noticed the BB felt a bit stiff and remembered I'd bought a new bearing for it :laugh: After a few minutes of searching I had located said bearing then removed the crank arm and non-drive side BB cup... It was a bit grim but felt a little better than it had when I'd previously inspected it - I'd flushed it and packed it with fresh grease at that point which has helped.

View attachment 629637

Anyway, out came the big hammer, vice and Hope bearing tools and then out came the old bearing :laugh: It drifted out fairly easily with a coule of good square whacks.

View attachment 629636

I cleaned the cup up then carefully wound the new bearing in with the vice and tool, loading only the outer race so as not to damage the bearing surfaces.

View attachment 629638

Great success. A few minutes later it was fitted back on the bike and the crank bolts had been torqued up. It all feels a little smoother now, hopefully the annoying click has gone too :laugh:

View attachment 629639

Loving the purple touches

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yesterday I had to move a cassette from one wheel to another. I removed all the bits of the cassette and carefully put them into a cardboard box so they didn't get dirty from the floor and nothing got lost. I then cleaned them individually and put them onto the other wheel. When I came to put it on the bike the indexing was a bit off, so I tweaked it. A really professional job. I should start a youtube channel showing people how to do this stuff.

Now to tidy up the garage.

OH NO! :eek:What's this spacer doing on the floor? It was the metal one that goes right at the bottom. It must have been stuck to the cluster of big sprockets with gunk and fallen off when I was handling it. Bollocks bollocks bollocks. So that's why the indexing was off. Oh well, these things happen. I'll take it all off and put it on properly. Chain whip, check. Cassette extractor? Where has my cassette extractor gone? It can't have just disappeared. Surely, it must be somewhere.

After a lengthy search of the garage and a lot of swearing I eventually found it hiding inside the cardboard box that I had used for keeping the cassette bits. Half an hour later, job done. I don't think I'll start that youtube channel.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Yesterday I had to move a cassette from one wheel to another. I removed all the bits of the cassette and carefully put them into a cardboard box so they didn't get dirty from the floor and nothing got lost. I then cleaned them individually and put them onto the other wheel. When I came to put it on the bike the indexing was a bit off, so I tweaked it. A really professional job. I should start a youtube channel showing people how to do this stuff.

Now to tidy up the garage.

OH NO! :eek:What's this spacer doing on the floor? It was the metal one that goes right at the bottom. It must have been stuck to the cluster of big sprockets with gunk and fallen off when I was handling it. Bollocks bollocks bollocks. So that's why the indexing was off. Oh well, these things happen. I'll take it all off and put it on properly. Chain whip, check. Cassette extractor? Where has my cassette extractor gone? It can't have just disappeared. Surely, it must be somewhere.

After a lengthy search of the garage and a lot of swearing I eventually found it hiding inside the cardboard box that I had used for keeping the cassette bits. Half an hour later, job done. I don't think I'll start that youtube channel.
You should. It would be a lot more entertaining than watching the 10,000th slickly produced video about how to change a cassette.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just removed the Schwalbe One TLE's from my summer bike. I could never get them seated properly and they weren't the best rolling tyre I've ever ridden on so was time for a change. After some good reviews by friends of the Good Year Eagle F1 tubeless tyres I decided to try a pair on for size 😄

I got them both fitted in record time - these have to be the easiest tubeless road tyres I've ever fitted. The bead is still fairly tight, but theres enough give in the tyre to pull it over and they inflated easily with no leaks whatsoever. The bead popped on to the rim all the way around with no manipulation required... Very impressed :okay:

Hopefully the ride is as good as the fit but I'll have to wait for the roads to clean up a bit before I find that out :blush:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Last Sunday's ride was not great, aside from taking a massive tumble which winded me and left me with a bruised rib, the bloomin brakes were playing up again and binding.

So today I found some time to have a look at it all. First off I dropped the front wheel and took the pads out of the front caliper, mmm, think they might be dead, honestly I do regularly check them:whistle:

Luckily I had one set of brand new pads ready to go in, unfortunately the pads in the back caliper were not much better, so the bikes off the road until I can get another new set of pads. As well as replacing the pads, I also gave the pistons a good flossing whilst I was there and cleaned up the caliper. I'm getting heartily sick of having to do this every few weeks at the moment, I really need to find out why they are so unreliable at the moment.

It could well be the sandy soil in the forests, combined with the relentless rainfall is giving the whole bike a hard time, not just the brakes. Whilst wiping down the chain, I thought I would take the jockey wheels out and not only clean them, but pop the seals on the bearings and clean them. After inspecting them a bit closer I decided it wasn't worth it, the jockey wheels are toast in all honesty, another victim of the sand.

So the drivetrain is all nicely cleaned and back together, but I need to get some more pads before I can get it back on the forest trails.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got my mates Marlin ebike in the garage at the moment for some tlc. He commutes on it in all weather so it gets a hard time and is regularly in for some work. This time round it was a drive train refresh with a new chain and cassette going on. I gave it a bit of a clean before I started and found the chainring teeth had seen better days...

I decided it was a bit futile fitting a new chain with the chainring in this state so have stripped it down and ordered a new one on Amazon for delivery tomorrow.

I popped the cassette on and have trimmed the chain to the correct length so it will only take a few minutes to reassemble once the chainring arrives.

Annoyingly I found a broken spoke in the rear wheel but don't have one long enough to replace it. I also found this crack in the rim by an adjacent spoke hole, so new wheel time is just around the corner...

Last edited:
Top Bottom