Continental Grand Prix 5000 vs. Gatorskin – who wins?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All those criticisms are typical of any low profile tyre like 700x23 or 700x25. You have a low contact area so slippy, you have a harsh ride as run at a high pressure being low profile and weaker puncture protection because the whole load of the bike is through a smaller contact area. Just making the point that size of tyre is a huge factor. Someone running the same tyre at 700x28 or 700x32 might think the complete opposite based on their experience. Really tyre sizes is a critical part of this debate. Then you have to factor in the bike itself. A bike with an aluminum rigid fork will be different to those with a CF fork when it comes to comfort. Someone with a harsh aluminium fork may have to consider tyre comfort more.
im comparing like for like after about 13 years commuting

Milzy

Guru
This is the most bizarre thread ever. A racing tire vs a heavy puncture resistant commuter tire.
I got two seasons out of my GP5000’s. They were fast but they started to bulge before they wore out. Continental don’t want to know when they are found to be defective. Still I’m tempted to try the new 5000S shortly.

mpemburn

I've been riding Gatorskins (25mm) for a few years and have no complaints. They replaced the Michelins that came with my bike, and reduced the number of flats significantly. I guess the ride is harsh, but I never really notice this except on the tar-and-chip roads—but then I'd expect that with any tire. I run them at 100 PSI (~7 bars). When it's time to replace them, I'll look at the recommendations here, though.

Wooger

If GP5000 are suitable for Paris Roubaix I think they can cope with some winter roads.

Gatorskins are awful tyres.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Oddly the Gatorskins that were dreadful on my Longstaff audax are perfectly fine on my Guerciotti Record.

As ever with tyres things are complicated than they should be .

Ive only used a Gatorskin once it was on a wheel I borrowed for 1000miles. Contrary to the common reports, I found it a very grippy tyre and it didn't get much less grippy in the wet. Perhaps folk who report them slippy in the wet have them pumped up too hard. If you want a longer lasting tyre it probably beats the 5000 but the 5000 will beat it for handling performance (grip/speed/acceleration). I found my 4000s almost as good wearing as the gatorskin in 25mm + tyres (23mm was too fragile for winter use). For a while though I preferred Michelin (Pro4 Endurance) which offered the best of both the gators and 4000s. Now though I run 5000TL's which trump them all for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ive only used a Gatorskin once it was on a wheel I borrowed for 1000miles. Contrary to the common reports, I found it a very grippy tyre and it didn't get much less grippy in the wet. Perhaps folk who report them slippy in the wet have them pumped up too hard. If you want a longer lasting tyre it probably beats the 5000 but the 5000 will beat it for handling performance (grip/speed/acceleration). I found my 4000s almost as good wearing as the gatorskin in 25mm + tyres (23mm was too fragile for winter use). For a while though I preferred Michelin (Pro4 Endurance) which offered the best of both the gators and 4000s. Now though I run 5000TL's which trump them all for me.
I've got these on a bike having just replaced Gatorskins...they are as slippery as a very slippery thing especially on wet metalwork!
They may just need to be broken in more, but scary at the mo in the wet (almost got dumped in the road in front of a thousand tourists and shoppers going round corner from Charing Cross Road into Oxford Street :ohmy: ) ... I may have to stick some Zaffiros or Rubinos on if I am going to use the bike in the wet :wacko: They've been in the parts box for a few years so maybe they've degraded, but look fine 🤷‍♀️

I've got these on a bike having just replaced Gatorskins...they are as slippery as a very slippery thing especially on wet metalwork!
They may just need to be broken in more, but scary at the mo in the wet (almost got dumped in the road in front of a thousand tourists and shoppers going round corner from Charing Cross Road into Oxford Street :ohmy: ) ... I may have to stick some Zaffiros or Rubinos on if I am going to use the bike in the wet :wacko: They've been in the parts box for a few years so maybe they've degraded, but look fine 🤷‍♀️
I probably had them for 5 or 6 years (apart from one spell with Rubinos) and I heard folk say similar but the only slips I had in that period was with the Rubinos (they were wired Rubinos if it makes a difference). It was exactly that ^^^ I had them sitting in the parts drawer and they looked fine so I used them whilst I was waiting for Pro 4 Endurance to come in stock. I was pretty glad when the pro 4 Endurance came back in stock a few weeks later. IIRC I pumped the Pro 4 Endurance m to 95psi but often didn't top the up until they felt sluggish around 65-70psi for me, which probably helped with their grip (for some folk its probably too low though).

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. After recently getting multiple punctures I have replaced my gatorskin with GP 5000s - decided to go with these as they were a little more affordable over GP 4 Seasons and winter is almost over. Went up to 28s which were not easy to find at a discounted price. I'm running them at 95PSI as that's what it says on the box (gatorskins were 100PSI), so far so good!

I agree that gatorskins are slippy as are Zaffiros in the wet, I quite like Michelin and Panracer tyres as the rubber seem softer and grippier but it as the expense of puncture protection. I guess you can only have 2/3.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Thanks for all the suggestions. After recently getting multiple punctures I have replaced my gatorskin with GP 5000s - decided to go with these as they were a little more affordable over GP 4 Seasons and winter is almost over. Went up to 28s which were not easy to find at a discounted price. I'm running them at 95PSI as that's what it says on the box (gatorskins were 100PSI), so far so good!
That's a lot of pressure. Unless you're on the heavier side, try going down a notch and pump the front wheel a bit less then the rear.

Top Bottom