Continuous Rear Wheel Puncture - Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Womble

I was cycling into work last week and got a rear wheel puncture. i repaired it that day checking the rims and the tyre for causes, next time i rode sure enough the same thing happened another slow puncture, fixed this again and guess what the same thing happened - any body got any ideas??? Cheers

domtyler

Über Member
Did this happen to be on Wimbledon Common?

littlered

Have you checked the tire for glass. My flatmate got a puncture like that the other month and I found a rather large bit of glass embedded in the tire. If you ran your fingers along the inside of the tire you felt nothing but when I matched up the inner tube to the tire I could just see a tiny weeny hole. 20mins later with the help of tweezers I got the bloody thing out.

Check the inside of the tire, if you still cant find anything match up the inner tube to the tire and you will be able to see where the puncture is and start looking there.

OP
OP
W

Womble

Not on wimbledon common i'm afraid - in Leeds city centre.
Cheers littered i'll try and match up the puncture with the tyre and see how i get on.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I always use a yellow "paint pen" and mark the valve, rim and tyre on the same side, Helps you find the correlation twixt tube, tyre, wheel.
You can't always feel the object of the problem but 80lbs pressure will certainly find it.

Peter

Could be a pinch puncture, happened to me twice in a week. Brand new tyres - not a mark inside or out. I went to the LBS and bought a new rim band - that solved the mystery.

Peter

Womble said:
forgive my ignorance but what it a pinch puncture?
A pinch puncture normally occurs when the inflated inner tube is "pinched" from the inside of the rim. A loose spoke, sharp edge on the inner rim, worn rim tape or even a badly inserted inner tube will cause the tube to puncture when inflated. Sometimes this can happen when riding over a pothole etc.

bonj2

It could be that you've got a warped tyre. This happened to me once, basically I think it is caused by being folded and bent about too much when off the wheel, or possibly just general wear of being taken off and put back on too many times if the tyre's not that good quality, e.g. schwalbe albert.
If it is warped, then the bead won't sit properly and will cause punctures in the tube. I had about 3 in as many days, before I diagnosed a warped tyre.
The tell-tale sign is that the tread doesn't look true when you spin the wheel, even though the rim is true.

Pete

Also check (especially with some of the cheaper rims) whether the rim tape has slipped a bit sideways and exposed a sliver of spoke hole. Doesn't have to be much - even a fraction of a mm of exposure will cause trouble. I've been caught out this way!

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
It could be that you've got a warped tyre. This happened to me once, basically I think it is caused by being folded and bent about too much when off the wheel, or possibly just general wear of being taken off and put back on too many times if the tyre's not that good quality, e.g. schwalbe albert.
If it is warped, then the bead won't sit properly and will cause punctures in the tube. I had about 3 in as many days, before I diagnosed a warped tyre.
The tell-tale sign is that the tread doesn't look true when you spin the wheel, even though the rim is true.

Don't start with your mind games bonj. This is not the time or place.

bonj2

domtyler said:
Don't start with your mind games bonj. This is not the time or place.

Mind games? Eh?
I'm talking about a warped tyre, not a warped mind. ;)
Seriously, I'm not saying it's definitely the cause of the OP's problem, just to consider it as a possibility.

Top Bottom