Contraflow bus lane on Bloomsbury Way bans cyclists [London]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
ttcycle said:
Cheers Bromptonaut -I've flagged it up already and hope that the person on the other side will take it up.

You're welcome to take on any of the quite numerous bus/tram gates here and nearby that exclude cyclists, quite a few are a big pain. PM me for details if you're interested - many thanks ;).

Notsoblue

Gah, no way! Thats a very useful road and allows you to avoid that busy four lane section at High Holborn, with the odd filter onto New Oxford Street. I think its a safer way to head west than the alternative.

dondare

Über Member
The entire Bloomsbury area is riddled with infamously bad cycle-lanes; here's something that cyclists actually like so it's been closed to them. Someone's 'avin' a larf.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
These are the signs that have appeared:
DSC02571.jpg

The section beyond here is a simple contraflow bus lane, other than fast moving opposite direction traffic it really should be easy to use.

This section by the Cochrane Theatre though is in effect a segregated busway
DSC02584.jpg

Fenced on both sides but still capable of being used safely if you're sensible and follow the buses. However on Friday I watched various muppets try and edge down the side of them while stopped at the lights. When that's happening I can see why some protective signage appeals to TfL.

LOGAN 5

Now there are clear signs which prohibit cycling it's only a matter of time before the police start issuing tickets.

I think the whole stretch from Theobalds Road/Vernon Place/Bloomsbury is poorly designed. Crossing for pedestrians is difficult and confusing. I anticipate a serious accident at the ped crossing at Theobalds Road/Drake Street where buses commence their contraflow.

Agree with an earlier poster that travelling (now illegally by cycle) westbound on the contraflow bus lane over the traffic lights at Southampton Row is risky with right turning oncoming traffic from Vernon Place who are unaware or not expecting cyclists to use this bus lane. It's probably now quite dangerous in the dark.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
LOGAN 5 said:
Agree with an earlier poster that travelling (now illegally by cycle) westbound on the contraflow bus lane over the traffic lights at Southampton Row is risky with right turning oncoming traffic from Vernon Place who are unaware or not expecting cyclists to use this bus lane.

My view of this thread was coloured by my own near miss there on Wednesday. I was turning right from Vernon Place into S'oton Row. Eastbound traffic was stopped in Theobalds Road and I edged round the back of a bus straight into a stream of oncoming westbound fellow cyclists. Entirely my fault - I've been using the junction for years and 'forgot' there was now an opposing flow. Somehow we all missed each other but it was a bit of a brown trouser moment.

Come winter and use by the great unlit and the fatality is only a matter of time.

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Disengaged member
I can't see why it would be impossible to solve that by changing the light timings (e.g a "straight on" phase in the eastbound direction). And it's not like the junctions it replaces are all that much friendlier either.

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Disengaged member
mickle said:
Is it even legal to remove cyclists right to use the road in this way?
I presume the legal situation is that, like any other vehicle, cyclists have no right to use the road while travelling in the wrong direction unless a special permission is granted. So it's not about the removal of rights but the failure to grant additional ones having granted them to buses

The whole bus lane is new, and to the best of my knowledge has never had signage that permits cyclists. Initially I thought that was just an oversight, but the explicit "no cycling" signs now make it obvious it wasn't. I'm just rather surprised (and very disappointed) that TfL haven't done the sensible thing

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Most London bus lanes include cyclists and the signage makes this clear. Another example of buses only is this one at Russell Square

DSC02590.jpg

A nifty job that saves both time and a few filtered junctions. Been in for about 9 years and is well used by cyclists including me!!. Very occasional abuse form bus drivers but never been any prohibitive signs - just an absence of the permissive ones. It's due to be removed though as Camden are now planning to restore two way running on this (east) side of the square so as to calm/pave the other three sides.

Origamist

Legendary Member
coruskate said:
I
The whole bus lane is new, and to the best of my knowledge has never had signage that permits cyclists. Initially I thought that was just an oversight, but the explicit "no cycling" signs now make it obvious it wasn't. I'm just rather surprised (and very disappointed) that TfL haven't done the sensible thing

Cyclists have never been permitted on this new contra flow bus lane.

Camden Cyclists campaigned about this issue and were surprised when authorisation was not granted for cyclists to use the bus lane. IIRC, TFL said it was "for safety reasons".

You could try and find out more from TFL.

I tend to avoid Bloomsbury, but I regularly flout the no cycling restriction at Russel Sq.

schlafsack

I suspect it's for safety. My office overlooks the lane and there have been several very serious accidents on it in the last couple of months, including at least one that required the air ambulance.

As far as I know all of the accidents were pedestrian vs. bus and in response it appears that they may be erecting barriers along both sides of the contraflow.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mayoral Questions September:

Question No: 2776 / 2010

Jenny Jones

The new contraflow bus lane in Bloomsbury is not open to cyclists and includes a very significant quantity of guardrail. Do you agree that two-way cycling should be allowed, as was recommended by a recent LCN+ study, as an urgent priority and that most of the guardrail should be removed?

Answer from the Mayor

I agree with TfL’s view that two-way cycling should not be allowed in Bloomsbury Way; however, this would be an issue for the London Borough of Camden to consider, as highway authority. A safety audit concluded that as the contra-flow bus lane is only 3m wide and does not have a physical island along the entire length of it, i.e. there are sections where there is only a solid white line between the bus lane and the opposing traffic, it is too dangerous to allow cyclists to use. This is because they could overtake buses serving bus stops, or buses would overtake cyclists between bus stops and either user would then be over the white line, and in the path of oncoming traffic.

TfL also does not agree that most of the guardrailing should be removed, since pedestrians and
motorists continue to adapt to the new road layout. The barriers should assist in breaking any established patterns of crossing the road. This would however be an issue for Camden to consider.

Top Bottom