Contraflow bus lane on Bloomsbury Way bans cyclists [London]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

On a related note, and nearby, the northbound bus lane through Russell Square has always been marked as 'Buses Only' - I wonder if cycles are forbidden from using it by this signage?

I've always tended to use it, as it is a little more pleasant than taking the 3 lane race track around the other 3 sides of the square.

If it is illegal to cycle through it, I'm not sure why, as there is physical separation from oncoming traffic (this being the main reason for banning cycles from the Bloomsbury Way contraflow).

Any ideas?

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
On a related note, and nearby, the northbound bus lane through Russell Square has always been marked as 'Buses Only' - I wonder if cycles are forbidden from using it by this signage?

I've always tended to use it, as it is a little more pleasant than taking the 3 lane race track around the other 3 sides of the square.

If it is illegal to cycle through it, I'm not sure why, as there is physical separation from oncoming traffic (this being the main reason for banning cycles from the Bloomsbury Way contraflow).

Any ideas?

I pointed out this example earlier in the thread. It's definitely buses only, and I've very occasionally been abused by bus drivers for using it. But like WGF I've used it for years as it cuts the journey by 66% and avoids a couple of nasty multi-lane junctions. However, last time I went up there it was closed off - I'd assumed as part of Camden's plans to restore 2 way traffic and calm the other three sides of the square. Has it re-opened?

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I pointed out this example earlier in the thread.

Ah, sorry, I missed that. Haven't been there by bike for a while, but have spotted the roadworks. Good news that the layout is being changed, and that the square is being calmed a little (hopefully).

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Are those bicycles-prohibited signs large enough to be legally effective? They look too small to me.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I'll bump this thread rather than start a new one.

This morning at 09:45 there was a PCSO on a bike outside the Spag House (SW corner of Vernon PLace S'oton Row junction). He was stopping bikes going west of that point and diverting them down to the Kingsway/High Holborn junction to joint he main westbound flow.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Same guy on the job again today. This time though he'd put himself at the junction with Theobald's Rd and Drake/Proctor St - more sensible as the cyclists are diverted onto the route they should follow rather thann being sent off the bus lane half way round.

Top Bottom