Convert a bike to disk brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My new bike has disk brakes, and hubby thinks that they are a significant improvement on his - he still has the original brake blocks that came with his bike.

We were wondering what all you need to convert a bike to disk brakes? and what determines whether you can convert a bike?

And whether it would just be easier to buy a new bike instead. Or at least start by upgrading his tektro v-brakes and pads?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You could upgrade the pads for not too much money (Kool Stops should be around £6.50, I think). I'd imagine that changing to disks would mean a new fork and new wheel at a minimum...

You need disc specific hubs and tabs on the frame and fork for the disc brake caliper. Some frames come with the tabs, few come with disc ready hubs so it's likely you'll need to purchase new wheels as well as the discs brakes.

02GF74

Über Member
numbnuts said:

what about it? that is not disc brake.

weren't there stories about them pusing the stays apart? :evil:

to change to disc your bike frame (rear) and forks (front) need to have the mounts for them.
you need disc specific hubs - if your front wheel is radial laced, you need to change spoking - probably easier/cheaper/safer to buy a front wheel.

you need disc, caliper, hoses* and levers - these may not come with gear shifter so you, may need a set of shifters if your shifter/brake levers are one unit e.g. Shimano STI.

* I am not consider cable operated disc brakes due to snobbery:angry:

I am also thinking of changing brakes but I ride a four year old Khara-Kum and though I have got fond of the old girl (bit like the wife it has grown on me) I have to ask is it going to be cost effective. The work would have to be done by the LBS and it would seem that I will need fresh wheels etc but a new discounted bike maybe almost as cheap. Any thoughts from you lads and lasses, the work would certainly have to wait till I have completed the JOGLE in June or July, which realy means September.

02GF74

Über Member
PrettyboyTim said:
Out of interest, what's wrong with cable operated disc brakes?

sorry but I am a disc brake snob, I won't even talk about it. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
I would urge your hubby to consider either buying a new bike with disk brakes or upgrading his V Brakes which can approach the effectiveness of disks anyway.

Top Bottom