Convert Brompton solid front axle to quick release?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
If you find a hollow axle in, I believe 8 mm, you could cut it down so it protruded past the washerscetc the requisite amount. You wpuld also need a QR spindle the correct length. Possibly a Dahon dealer, like Thor in NYC could find one the correct length. However, the Brompton has tab washers which would mean loosening the QR enough to pull them out of the fork. If you do cut an axle, I'd first put some nuts on the axle so after cutting you can take them off to refresh the threads. However, I don't see the point. You would still need to either deflate the tire or loosen the brake cable to get the wheel past the brakes and loosen the QR a bunch and you still need the 15mm wrench for the rear wheel. I would prefer to add a small chainring for greasy finger shifting before a steep hill but that's just me. Still, if that's your pleasure, it does seem possible.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
It might be, I'm mulling it over after watching a YouTube video of someone converting a road bike wheel. I have a QR on the rear wheel through a Rohloff hub.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

The standard wheel is a solid axle. It's only the Superlights and dynamo wheels that have the hollow axle.

cheys03

Veteran
If you plan to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, be aware that these and the Sun CR18 rim found on the SJS wheel are a tough combo when it comes to remove and refit the tyre for p*nctures etc. It can be tricky, even with the right technique.

mitchibob

Über Member
If you plan to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, be aware that these and the Sun CR18 rim found on the SJS wheel are a tough combo when it comes to remove and refit the tyre for p*nctures etc. It can be tricky, even with the right technique.

Seriously difficult with a Kojak or standard Marathon too. That's the only thing I didn't like. Lived in fear of puncture on that rim.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The "Hubsmith" one I bought from the Bay of Thieves came with a matching allen key skewer. FWIW, cartridge bearings and QRs don't always play nicely. Sometimes the action of the QR puts shear across the races, which makes them stiff and will massively reduce their life (putting a QR in a Goldtec track hub means the wheel barely spins any more). The hub must be designed for a QR, with the outer locknuts pressing on something screwed on, rather than the bearing inner race.

Attachments

• 20200709_115347.jpg
    20200709_115347.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

The "Hubsmith" one I bought from the Bay of Thieves came with a matching allen key skewer. FWIW, cartridge bearings and QRs don't always play nicely. Sometimes the action of the QR puts shear across the races, which makes them stiff and will massively reduce their life (putting a QR in a Goldtec track hub means the wheel barely spins any more). The hub must be designed for a QR, with the outer locknuts pressing on something screwed on, rather than the bearing inner race.
Yes, that makes sense. Good to know. Thank you.

Top Bottom