Converting 2x10 to 1x10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hi

If I swap my two chainrings for one, is it prudent to use something exactly in the middle, or tend towards a slightly higher top gear, or a slightly lower bottom gear?

I usually ride single speed bikes, off road and on, so I generally don't have a problem getting up most hills.

Ta

Sharky

Guru
I went to a 1x9set up. Put a 40t narrow/wide ring on the inside position. Shortened the chain by a few links and used shorter chain ring bolts. Works fine on all 9 sprockets.

I went to a 1x9set up. Put a 40t narrow/wide ring on the inside position. Shortened the chain by a few links and used shorter chain ring bolts. Works fine on all 9 sprockets.

Like you, used to riding single speed on other bike, with 44x17, so a 40: 13-26 ish is a luxury. There are a few hills i avoid, but can usually manage up tp about 1 in 8.

I am such a woos.
32t on the front of my 1x10 :blush:
^_^

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
That sounds fine; the bike I'm getting has an 11-36 cassette. I was thinking either 32 or 34 for the chainring.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I run a 1x8 set-up, 32t up front and 11-30t at the back. It's fine most of the time but some of the multi-mile long draggy steep climbs on Dartmoor are a bit of a PITA. I find the top 32/11 gear is perfect off-road, I don't think I've ever wanted anything higher, but it's obviously limiting if you're using the bike on tarmac.

I'm switching over to a 11-34t cassette tonight which I think will be perfect for this bike's intended use - if I need lower gears than 32/34 (with 26" wheels) on the moors it's almost certainly a rider fitness issue rather than gearing... and at that point it's time to get off, have a cup of tea from the thermos and walk the rest of the hill anyway :smile:

You might need to think about your chainline going from 2x to 1x (3x to 1x is easy, you just use the middle ring position). I think you can get 1x chainrings with built in spacers to get the chainring in the middle of the cassette. If you have to err either side, I'd bias towards the larger sprockets, it's nice to know you have a good chainline when you're mashing as hard as you can up a b*stard of a hill.

ChrisEyles

Guru
ps - I found I dropped a lot of chains until I put my front derailleur back on (locked in place with the limit screws). But then I wasn't using a dedicated 1x ring with narrow/wide teeth, which won't have helped. Putting the FD on fixed the issue, I don't think I've dropped a chain since.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
ps - I found I dropped a lot of chains until I put my front derailleur back on (locked in place with the limit screws). But then I wasn't using a dedicated 1x ring with narrow/wide teeth, which won't have helped. Putting the FD on fixed the issue, I don't think I've dropped a chain since.

Thanks for this info! Yes, I was planning on using an N/W ring. I'll see how it goes and fit a chain device if needs be.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I am such a woos.
32t on the front of my 1x10 :blush:
^_^

That's what I did Marquis - in my defence though it was 32 x 11-36 cassette - none of this wooftery 1x11 or expanders.

although on my full suss it was 30 x 11-42

Oi, my new Whyte 901 came with 1x11 32t chainring with 11-40 cassette. It's dedicated trail bike do it suits it's use. May put a 34t on the front and see what difference it makes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
You'll need a new rear mech with a clutch to help keep the chain on.

Yes, it has one of those as well. Also comes with a dropper post; it's really good value which is why I think I have to go for it. I had a test ride on a Bird Zero AM which is already 1x11, but it doesn't have a dropper post and it's 400 quid dearer... :ohmy: Was great to ride, though.

Top Bottom