Converting 2x10 to 1x10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I guess if you don't like bigger gaps between gears a 1x set-up is not likely to suit you. I find the other way around more irritating actually, when I have to click through several gears before a steep climb. For me the 8 speed 11-34 I have on the back is pretty much perfect. If I was going to up the number of gears I wouldn't change the spacing, just maybe add (in an ideal world, I know they don't make these) a 38t granny on the back for emergencies!

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
From my point of view, it's about simplicity and neatness... I don't ride competitively so the weight isn't as much of an issue.

I usually ride singlespeeds on the road so I don't need 20 gears!

Venod

Eh up
I have recently got new MTB (29er) with 1x11 (11-42) 32t front ring, I felt it was a bit low geared on local trails with most of the riding on the bottom half of the cassette, so
I changed to a 34t front the offset was different so I had to juggle the spaces and get some different sized ones to get the correct chain line, I feel its an improvement on local stuff not sure I would keep it if I was a regular trail center user, I managed Dalby Red on it with a decent time up the Adders Back climb but after a long day I think the 32t would have been appreciated, I like the simplicity of a single chain ring but there is a lot to like about a 2 x 10 setup, the gaps between the gears on 1 x 11 are going to take some getting used to.

Its my first 29er and I find it does roll better over rougher ground, but I didn't feel as confident on the steep downhills at Dalby, a dropper post would have helped. but its a XC hardtail so I won't be doing rocky steep stuff that often.

Top Bottom