Converting a 90's MTB into a retro drop bar bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
so I'm wondering about using a metal paint like Hammerite or the local version thereof. Has anyone had any experience of this?

I once hand painted a 70's Puch Alpine with Hammerite smooth yellow, which was very close to the original colour, and not dissimilar to the colour of the frame you are looking to paint.
The result? Hmmmm..... ok for my purposes but not for the perfectionist. It certainly didn't produce the smooth glossy finish that you might be looking for. Having said that, I didn't bother sanding down or removing the original paint in any way, or applying a second coat. I must have a photo somewhere, will have a look....

1660804292178.png

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
If you want to go down the rattle can route, then spray.bike is a really good option. It basically behaves like a powder coat in a can, so the initial colour goes on really easily and you can get excellent results straight from the can.

However, dependent on the finish you want to achieve, you do need to use a laquer of some description, which they sell, but it can be a little trickier to achieve a perfect finish. I used their paints on the lugs of my bamboo bike and was really impressed with the quality and ease of the finish. There are photos of me building up the paint with these paints on my bamboo bike build thread.

I once hand painted a 70's Puch Alpine with Hammerite smooth yellow, which was very close to the original colour, and not dissimilar to the colour of the frame you are looking to paint.
The result? Hmmmm..... ok for my purposes but not for the perfectionist. It certainly didn't produce the smooth glossy finish that you might be looking for. Having said that, I didn't bother sanding down or removing the original paint in any way, or applying a second coat. I must have a photo somewhere, will have a look....

View attachment 657771

I have to say that looks pretty good, and yellow is a pain for covering anything. Did you use a varnish over the top? I'm thinking that may help the overall smoothness. How well does it stand up to dings and scratches?

If you want to go down the rattle can route, then spray.bike is a really good option. It basically behaves like a powder coat in a can, so the initial colour goes on really easily and you can get excellent results straight from the can.

However, dependent on the finish you want to achieve, you do need to use a laquer of some description, which they sell, but it can be a little trickier to achieve a perfect finish. I used their paints on the lugs of my bamboo bike and was really impressed with the quality and ease of the finish. There are photos of me building up the paint with these paints on my bamboo bike build thread.

Those do look good. How well do they handle dings and scratches? I notice the manufacturer says you only need one coat per bike, and it doesn't need a primer one but I can't help thinking they would say that: how well does it cover?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have to say that looks pretty good, and yellow is a pain for covering anything. Did you use a varnish over the top? I'm thinking that may help the overall smoothness. How well does it stand up to dings and scratches?

No varnish, I was being quite lazy... or in too much of a hurry to get it on the road! It was fine for resisting dings and scratches. Better than the matt black finish on my new Merida :rolleyes:.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Those do look good. How well do they handle dings and scratches? I notice the manufacturer says you only need one coat per bike, and it doesn't need a primer one but I can't help thinking they would say that: how well does it cover?

The photos below are from my Bamboo bike build, I first used a generic primer on the lugs to give a fairly smooth finish.

IMG_20180417_144625726.jpg

Then I used one coat of the spray.bike paint, this went on really easily and really uniformly, giving a nice matt finish.

IMG_20180417_150815966.jpg

I then used their gloss lacquer to finish over the top. The lacquer is much thinner than the colour coat and as such, more prone to runs. As long as you don't rush it and try to keep the tin at an even distance you can get quite acceptable results from it.

IMG_20180421_163009330.jpg

I can't comment on the durability of the paint on it's own, without lacquer, but I expect it is pretty good. As is, with the laquer on top, it's proven to be pretty durable over the last four years, but then, it's not a daily ride and is generally treated well.

The photos below are from my Bamboo bike build, I first used a generic primer on the lugs to give a fairly smooth finish.

View attachment 657863

Then I used one coat of the spray.bike paint, this went on really easily and really uniformly, giving a nice matt finish.

View attachment 657861

I then used their gloss lacquer to finish over the top. The lacquer is much thinner than the colour coat and as such, more prone to runs. As long as you don't rush it and try to keep the tin at an even distance you can get quite acceptable results from it.

View attachment 657862

I can't comment on the durability of the paint on it's own, without lacquer, but I expect it is pretty good. As is, with the laquer on top, it's proven to be pretty durable over the last four years, but then, it's not a daily ride and is generally treated well.

That does look very smart; excellent choice of colour too. I'm guessing the slightly lumpy appearance of the headset area is because it is made of hemp?

I'm still working on this project, but I'm also slowly refurbishing the Xtracycle, seen below:

2022_10_30_n_d_g_26.jpg

I'm in discussions with our in house sewing department to make new bags as those on the bike are in worse condition that may at first appear.

I'm also planning to respray the green bit and replace the stickers. I made my own version of them, but I must admit I was never entirely happy with them, and part of me wanted to update the bike while retaining the "heritage" of the original; it's one of the last bikes Raleigh made in Nottingham, so I don't want this to disappear.

Also I rather coveted admired @Oldhippy's Genesis, and I liked the modern simple colours. After some discussion with H Lloyd Cycles I've made my own version. Now I'm fussing about whether to go for Grey...

New M-Trax Designs Grey.png

...or orange lettering:

New M-Trax Designs orange.png

Meanwhile I'm a step closer to getting the lugs soldered to my other frame; more soon...

Back to the current "Wayfarer 2" project.
20230119_084756.jpg

Ages ago I rescued an elderly frame for this project but since replaced it with the yellow one I'd bought. Yesterday I decided to check the older frame to see if it was worth keeping or if I would be better throwing it out:

20230119_084724.jpg

To my surprise it was much better than I remembered, despite some lugs that'll need removing and some serious funkyness on the steeriing tube. As far as I can tell it's lugged chromoloy; it's even got lugs on the front forks.

I'll probably prep it alongside the other one; you can never have too many 28" wheeled touring bike frames.

Meantime, I think I've found someone who can solder the lugs for the gear levers, and maybe even someone to spray it with proper enamel paint.

Last edited:
So today is supposed to be the day when I deliver the bikes to a colleague to get the lugs for the downtube shifters et c soldered on.

The frames have been marked up ready, and the packet of lugs has been carefully kept in my kitchen where I'll see it every day because otherwise I'll lose them. This has been the case for over a year now.

So naturally yesterday evening when I went top get them, they were not there.

Poo. And other words.

Checked model making bench, checked bike bits box. checked drawers, cupboards and Xtracycle panniers. Found many useful things I'd been looking for, but no bike parts. Realisation dawned; I'd taken them to work, obviously; they were in my cupboard in the bike workshop. Panic over; went to bed.

Except they were not at work.

More rude words; this failed to make lugs appear.

Back to apartment, fortunately a few minutes away. Much digging in the storage cupboard: boxes litter apartment. Nothing.

Hang on. I checked my panniers right? Of course I did; that's the obvious place if I remember taking them to work, I must have checked them.

Right, but did I check both panniers?

Looked in other pannier.

Lugs found.

Lock up apartment.

Back to work.

Now to pack the van. Lugs in a screw down bottle in a zipped up pocket, in a fleece I know I'll wear until I arrive...

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Back to the current "Wayfarer 2" project.
View attachment 674933
Ages ago I rescued an elderly frame for this project but since replaced it with the yellow one I'd bought. Yesterday I decided to check the older frame to see if it was worth keeping or if I would be better throwing it out:

View attachment 674934

To my surprise it was much better than I remembered, despite some lugs that'll need removing and some serious funkyness on the steeriing tube. As far as I can tell it's lugged chromoloy; it's even got lugs on the front forks.

I'll probably prep it alongside the other one; you can never have too many 28" wheeled touring bike frames.

Meantime, I think I've found someone who can solder the lugs for the gear levers, and maybe even someone to spray it with proper enamel paint.

That's interesting I have an continental steel touring bike frame you might recognise it! It's super heavy!!

So today is supposed to be the day when I deliver the bikes to a colleague to get the lugs for the downtube shifters et c soldered on.

The frames have been marked up ready, and the packet of lugs has been carefully kept in my kitchen where I'll see it every day because otherwise I'll lose them. This has been the case for over a year now.

So naturally yesterday evening when I went top get them, they were not there.

Poo. And other words.

Checked model making bench, checked bike bits box. checked drawers, cupboards and Xtracycle panniers. Found many useful things I'd been looking for, but no buke parts Realisation dawned; I'd taken them to work, obviously; they were in my cupboard in the bike workshop. Panic over.

Except they were not at work.

More rude words; this failed to make lugs appear.

Back to apartment, fortunately a few minutes away. Much digging in the storage cupboard: boxes litter apartment. Nothing.

Hang on. I checked my panniers right? Of course I did; that's the obvious place if I remember taking them to work, I must have checked them.

Right, but did I check both panniers?

Looked in other pannier.

Lugs found.

Lock up apartment.

Back to work.

Now to pack the van. Lugs in a screw down bottle in a zipped up pocket, in a fleece I know I'll wear until I arrive...

Bike and lugs deliverd safely to our in-house car workshop. They made many comments about demanding customers, but promised to "Do what they can".

Time to get some paint I think.

Top Bottom