Converting a 90's MTB into a retro drop bar bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do any welding? Bar end shifters work well with drop bars.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363148401772

One of the issues visible on the Yellow Peril above is the thoroughly jammed BB.

This is what a thoroughly jammed BB looks like in close up:

Rusty_BB.jpg

You're welcome.

This was seriously gefurkled; all attempts with spanners, pipe wrenches and bilingual swearing had failed, so today when I had to take a delivery of bikes to another centre, I went to ask a colleague if we could use the monster vice in his workshop. My colleague loves bikes and loves challenges, and was fed up with writing reports so we clamped the removal tool into the vice and turned.

The tool was turning visibly, in fact the vice was moving slightly as well.

So this was it, the end of the story. We'd played nice and tried the mellow hippy approach and it hadn't worked; it was time to get serious.

I work for a very unusual company, and we have an in-house car workshop, and so the frame was taken down there to be introduced to Mr. Impact Screwdriver:

schlagschraubenzieher.jpg

Mwahahahaaa...

The operation was complicated by the mechanic assigned to the case not being able to speak more than a few words of German, and yours truly not really having the requisite vocabulary, like "Impact Screwdriver"*

Anyway after some mutual misunderstandings, he applied the machine to the BB.

About 30 seconds later:

Wayfarer_2_20.jpg

The German for "Impact Screwdriver, by the way, is Schlagschraubenzieher. Obvious really.

*I did look it up, honest, but I'd forgotten it again.

Last edited:
I'm currently with the family a couple of hundred Km from my workshop, so I've been thinking about the two most important questions of the project: What colour should the bike be, and of course, what should it be called?

I'm also agonising over the paint. I originally thought I'd paint the bike with a rattlecan, just as I did with the Wayfarer, but the Wayfarer is a bit vulnerable to dings and scratches, so I'm wondering about using a metal paint like Hammerite or the local version thereof. Has anyone had any experience of this?

I've also been quoted anything from 140 € to 200 € for a one colour powder coating of a bike frame.

Are these all my options or have I missed something?

In the meantime I've been working out transfer designs:

Pathfinder_Perigrine_Green.png

I think I prefer the blue so far, and "Peregrine" seems appropriate when I read the definition.

Pathfinder_Perigrine_Blue.png

Top Bottom